Author Topic: AB / Warburg - Genesee Plant - 2009-18  (Read 86126 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Genesse - Capital Power - 2010 / ? & ?
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2010, 20:58 »
Hmm..yeah that's not good as the resident pair will come home soon.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2010, 15:27 »
this is not a good thing. I will e-mail Gord Tuesday. Monday a holiday. If it is still there they will probably get band numbers

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2010, 15:21 »
We have a Falcon but no transmitter is on it

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2010, 17:51 »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2010, 12:03 »
the male has been wintering not far from Miss Edmonton.  I ws jsut going to post the message  Elaine posted.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #165 on: March 22, 2010, 17:43 »
Thanks Elaine, will update the cam link information when the cam is actually up and running!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2010, 11:20 »
I sent an e-mail to Genesse on March 16th asking them about the falcon cam there, and here is the reply I got on March 19th:

Hello Elaine,
Thanks for the note. We are presently servicing our equipment for the upcoming season and have video images to the website in early April.
The camera site will be linked from Capital Power's Website at http://www.capitalpower.com/Pages/default.aspx
Regards,
George Greenhough

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2010, 10:50 »
But here are a few links y'all might be interested in ....

http://www.migrationresearch.org/peregrinetelemetry.pdf - this is from another Genesse project

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2010, 10:32 »
Don't give EPCOR/Capital Power too much grief based on their poor communication skills, there could be a couple of really simple explanations.  And no I'm not defending them - they promised, they should have put something up explaining what's up and where, even if its as simple as "we don't know".  The first could be that the birds are died early in the gam and there are no records to provide, lots of places don't publicize those kinds of deaths.  The second is that the birds are fine and transmitting but whoever the transmitters "belong" to has decided to, or hasn't had time to, provide updates.  There are (relatively speaking) lots of transmittered birds that we know nothing about - the birds are/have provided data that is not publicized.  Keep in mind, the transmitters are not webcams, they aren't attached for public information (I know you know that Carly, but just to make it clear to everyone reading this post  ;)) and scientists are VERY VERY difficult to pry data out of.  Love them dearly, love the work they do, don't so much love their death grip on data.  The first years of satellite data that went out (think 1990), we were all sworn to secrecy, no forwarding the emails outside the original group.  Now its a bit different, some are full-out public 24/7 real-time tracking, some are when folks have time, some are when the scientists feel comfortable sharing and have the technical ability to post the information.

I'll have a snoop around and see who I can whisper a question to ....

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2010, 07:10 »
I wrote these guys a few emails and they never responded back.  On their web site they clearly stated they would have the tracking details of the two adults they put transmitters on so we could follow their migration - of course that never happened.  The linked the page back to U of A for reference and of course nothing was there either.  It was disappointing.

I know they are busy and they were sold during this endeavor but if you're going to publicly claim you are doing something then you should do it or at least post a note about why you can't...I'm just saying..  It would have been nice to see where the pair went and now it would be nice to track their journey back home.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Genesse - Capital Power - 2010 / ? & ?
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2010, 21:31 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

Since we should be hearing about returnees in Alberta shortly, time to start a 2010 thread.  

No idea what the camera will look like since EPCOR has sold the plant to Capital Power.  We hope it will be the same as last year because the images were amazing!!  Guess we will just have to wait and see.

Here's the link we have for them now: http://www.capitalpower.com/About/OurOperations/Pages/Peregrine.aspx

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Genesse - Capital Power - 2009 / ? & ?
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2009, 13:28 »
I knew that the Genesse Plant had changed hands. but I believe they are still committed to the falcons. :) :)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #158 on: September 30, 2009, 13:11 »
Great news, thanks Carly.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2009, 12:52 »
Now Capital Power and revamped web site - the live cam not live anymore but this is where it takes you too.

http://www.capitalpower.com/About/OurOperations/Pages/Peregrine.aspx

Apparently we will be able to view the falcons migration flight path starting in October  due to the transmitters they were fitted with this year - on this page .  Will get more details when I can find them or if anyone else can please feel free to update or correct.

p.s:  According to their site, all 3 young fledged successfully!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2009, 18:17 »
No need to be embarassed Bev, thank you for going out and checking on them.  I'm happy to see and hear they are doing well.