Author Topic: AB / Warburg - Genesee Plant - 2009-18  (Read 86143 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Genesse - Capital Power - 2010 / ? & ?
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2010, 23:33 »
As I told you last year ,the nest box is in a very secure area. So we cannot get close. We have to park way up on highway.(we pull off and walk down the hill usually, but it was very windy and cold today.
for the longest time all we saw wee crows and ravens

O f course, Peter, being a guy, found this awesome; I am dying a thousand deaths ;) ;)
(2 X,s in sky is where the falcons were fighting; other X on building is where the other falcon landed , nest box is on cylinder shaped  tower

sorry, best we could do today.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2010, 23:31 »
Thanks goodness SGB from BCATW got pictures of the 2 falcons at nest box tonight because what a day.

There were 3 falcons there this afternoon and a fight .  But I am wondering if a juvenile entered the space because it was not  brutal, like some fights can be.  There was talon touching and  a few air hits ,then a chase east, until we could see no more. There was few more  air hits, but as far as we could see no one  was injured.  We first saw two soaring over the building just south of box and then the swooping and talon touching. the 3rd falocn landed on the roof of building just south of nest box while the 2 went at it. Then all 3 took off north and then two went east. One chasing the other. Hopefully no one  was hurt. they went beyond our sight range. One came back and just soared way out,patrolling I think.

So we drove ,north a bit, and saw a falcon on the top of tower where we used to see one last year. so I believe  this one did not do the chasing.
We were there a few hours and no one was at box while we were there. Probably patrolling. It was cold and windy.  Hope fully that will be the end of the fighting. We still have the transmitter male on his way.

Lots of hawks out there also. We could not catch the fighting on camera because it was too far for the camera. It would have been dots. We were following with our binoculars.  Of course, me being the fool I am, was saying loudly, fly away fast . Get going and please stay away.  ::) ::) What a nutcase I  am  :) :)

this is where nest box is.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2010, 08:28 »
Banded one was also there yesterday. I have not seen 2 at the same time. but I am not always looking ;) ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2010, 12:01 »
On your photos of the banded bird Bev, that almost looks like a horizontal T as the top digit on the band ... going to have to go check your gallery now ...

... hmmm, still think a T but could be an I or a 1 even though there aren't many bands with Is or 1s in the records ...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:34 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #211 on: April 24, 2010, 11:56 »
just caught these of unbanded

click on picture (thumbnails)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #210 on: April 24, 2010, 11:30 »
SGB caught the 2 there at different times this morning.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #209 on: April 24, 2010, 11:09 »
Hi, Bev,

This is the same one I saw yesterday that was so agitated, but I could not spot the band.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #208 on: April 23, 2010, 22:44 »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 22:47 by bev. »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #207 on: April 23, 2010, 21:41 »
I just have a banded falcon now at cam . I am doing photos and bands. Not sure if it is the same as the first ne or not.

doing comparison pictures now.
will be back

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #206 on: April 23, 2010, 20:35 »
was this falcon banded.???

there have been 2 different ones there.  Would you not know it . I leave and one comes. I have been waiting for a few day for an appearance.
Peter and I are taking a trip out there this weekeknd

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #205 on: April 23, 2010, 16:26 »
The falcon that was just in the nestbox was very, very agitated about something she saw nearby; she was stretched out on the perch, moving from side to side, and just  screeching, or at least if this box had sound, it would have been loud.  She kept this up for about a minute, then took off.  Of course, there is no way for us to know what is going on, but I keep watching to see if she returns.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #204 on: April 23, 2010, 15:32 »
Falcon in the nestbox at Genesee!  A big one.  This does not look like the same one that was there last week.  But this falcon is looking around, so the one that was there last week may be flying around, and is the potential mate to the one presently in the nestbox.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2010, 16:35 »
Darndest thing. I have not seen the unbanded one all day now.  Maybe this evening.

I think Peter and I may take a drive out there this weekend and see what is up. We won't be able to see bands but we can see how many are there ,if any.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2010, 12:34 »
Great pics, Bev! What a handsome, elegant tiercel, whoever he is.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2010, 16:39 »
He's a good looking Tiercel.  I understand why they want to put transmitters on them for tracking but if it delays them - then it might be time to reconsider that program.  Kind of puts them at a disadvantage in terms of finding/claiming their nest and a mate.