Author Topic: AB / Warburg - Genesee Plant - 2009-18  (Read 86339 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Genesse - Capital Power - 2010 / ? & ?
« Reply #335 on: June 15, 2010, 20:57 »
We are very lucky, that we have the kind of resources here, that we can  even attempt this.

It was worth the shot.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #334 on: June 15, 2010, 20:37 »
I have been watching them off and on today, even watched when he closed the outer door to the nest before feeding them.  Nothing like a front door and a back door. :)  They have been really cute to watch.  :-*  It's really too bad the adults haven't accepted them.  :(  But I guess if they have to go back where they came from, they will be no worse for wear.  :) 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #333 on: June 15, 2010, 19:38 »
the chicks have been monitored, so they are fine.  they were going  be fed this morning but since they self fed yesterday and had a big feed before going in nest box, they wanted to see if they would call out more, thus announcing their presence and need ,more.

those are good points. the female has certainly had a stressful year.  Because she was still going under the vent this week, she showed the signs of still being in the right state.

It was worth the try. Gord really wanted them to have a success. the success rate of this kind of fostering  is 90 percent.

these chicks at no time seemed stressed. Not like after banding. they have been a hoot to watch, and I  will miss them.
and I am  tired.
Gord is going to have a good look around tomorrow.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #332 on: June 15, 2010, 17:03 »
 I think you raise some interesting points Elaine, maybe they also think it's a trap to capture them again like last year when put the transmitters on.

Either way they chose another site and they've only been using this as a hangout.  They haven't' even shown an interest that someone has taken over their nest box which is very telling. 

I wonder too if given 2 males and 3 nests, she wasn't already on a 're-clutch' and her hormones might just be done now for the year. 

It's been hard to watch these little guys today on their own like this.  Oh thank god, food has arrived I think!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #331 on: June 15, 2010, 16:45 »
Hi, Bev,

I am so sorry that the parents do not seem to be responding to the presence of the chicks.  I am thinking, and God knows I am no authority, that perhaps the falcons at this site are stressed by a number of factors; this would partly explain why they laid their eggs in a part of the tower that no one can see into, but also that the falcons cannot see out of.  This is a bird of prey that counts so much on its sight, so it hardly makes sense, to me.  Also, the fact (so far as we know) that there are three falcons in the vicinity could make all the birds very tense.  Mind you, that worked out o.k. in Montreal with Polly, but she was the daughter from the previous year, and I certainly do not think that this is the case here.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #330 on: June 15, 2010, 16:34 »
The plan is to feed them soon, they waited so that maybe they would start calling. they wee going to feed them this morning but decided to wait. they have been self feeding on that quail.  These guys are so relaxed .

they will stay the night and if no adults Gord will pick them up tomorrow.

It should have worked and there is still time, but....

Gord will do some observations at sight tomorrow to try and figure out what is going on here.
We have been trying for weeks

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #329 on: June 15, 2010, 12:19 »
This is very unusual for parents to not show up.   chick s will be fed later and then we wait today. to give them a bit more time.  these guys seem too content. they need to call for mom and dad.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #328 on: June 14, 2010, 23:05 »
I am still hoping for a late night visit.   It supposed to rain tomorrow. but I  am hoping  that changes.   They will be O.k. tonight as they can regulate their temperature and are huddle together.  I twill be different for them tonight.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #327 on: June 14, 2010, 21:49 »
Come on parents....come on parents.....make them yours! 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #326 on: June 14, 2010, 21:41 »
I think between refreshes a new piece of food was put in.

slideshow from today -

Offline Shocka88

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #325 on: June 14, 2010, 21:32 »
Mine too!! ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #324 on: June 14, 2010, 21:02 »
Good thing is, as bev wrote earlier, there is someone watching.  With hope, the adult falcons will foster these three cuties...  Everyone, cross your fingies and toesies.

Mine are crossed.  :)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #323 on: June 14, 2010, 20:50 »
Good thing is, as bev wrote earlier, there is someone watching.  With hope, the adult falcons will foster these three cuties...  Everyone, cross your fingies and toesies.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #322 on: June 14, 2010, 20:41 »
I hope they come in tonight as it is to rain tomorrow.and then I do not know what the chances  will be.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #321 on: June 14, 2010, 20:39 »
I do not think they are starving. They need to holler adn then maybe mom will come. They need to be a bit hungry, and they are still self feeding. At least 2 are and nothing wrong with the constitution