Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 110194 times)

Offline deedream

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:17 »
Oh it all seems so horrid.  Terribly sad too. Your descriptions make it all so vivid.  I would not be able to watch either I am afraid.  I guess that is the ways of the wild huh, where the expression, "only the strong survive" comes from I expect. Thanks for the explanation.  I would never have known.  I thought (was hoping )perhaps that they just hissed and screeched at one another and maybe dove at each other, callling each others bluff so to speak.  So they are and can be very vicious.  Wow.  Must have heartbreaking to lose one almost two over all that. 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 09:03 »
I witnessed the first fight on the cam and could not watch.  But one female was in the box and the other  female came in  and was right on the female in the box. they fought in the box and then were out.
Last year they fought in the box and then fell to the roof and the biologists separated them. We did not want to see anyone die.

The second fight this year (the present female toyed with the one in the box first.  She was on the roof of the box and would look in from the roof and then go back up .  about a half hour later she came to the perch of the box Wings out and then the camera froze but 2 minutes later they were both gone , so the one in the box probably flew off( she had just been in a fight 2 days earlier and I believe was close to laying eggs.)

the other fight s took place away from the box.  Sometimes it is in the air , and they will sometimes slam another one into a building .

I do not like this sort of thing.  i like things all calm. My favorite peregrine female is my transmitter girl and I got to witness her release last week after her last fight with ,we think this female(away from the box). she ended up in rehab. unfortunately , the Balzac girl met her demise and was found dead around this area last Thursday.

Offline deedream

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:37 »
Goodness me, it must be a nice nest!  How exactly do they fight Bev?  Fly at each other and use there claws, or does one stay in nest and they use there beaks, or just a whole lot of both?  Curious.   :D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 08:00 by The Peregrine Chick »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 07:19 »
http://www.falconcam.med.ualberta.ca/cam3.html

We have 2 eggs and maybe a third.
This may be a girl from manitoba ,we are checking
There have been 3 fights for the nest already this year

We do not have sound or live streaming but we have 10 second refresh

Last year out resident female (a transmitter female) was ousted by a female from Balzac plant , Alberta. They put 2 atrificial eggs in and then put in a foster chick.  This is all on the site

This year the transmitter girl tried again and lost .  Two days later this female came and challenged  Balzac girl and Balzac girl was run off.  (I believe she was ready to lay eggs and she had just been in  a fight 2 days earlier.

This new girl, has already had to defend again by transmitter girl and possibly again by Balzac girl.

Waiting word as to where she is from. having trouble getting the information.(Biologists are having trouble getting it)

She has just laid 2 eggs. On on May22, one on May 25 and we are waiting to see if there are any more.  (maybe today.  )  So for awhile yet it will just be incubating)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 11:47 by The Peregrine Chick »