Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 178017 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #769 on: August 05, 2008, 14:39 »

She just had a hissy fit and gave me a heart attack.  then I am thinking to myself, what if they made a mistake and she is a he, then he will fledge earlier. Boy , I ma not ready for this.  I am posting so e shots form this morning and then the ones from now. she is still looking all around.

Cassie is self feeding(I do not know if this is old or new.  I thought mom brought this in after she was on the roof. I just missed the one with her on the roof with the prey. Was just waking up ::) ::)

more self feeding

a slip :o :o

come here mom

Do you think she sees me ;) ;)

maybe a series of wing flaps will do it

I will just take a peek over my shoulder

Pretend that I am not looking

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #768 on: August 05, 2008, 14:13 »
Cassie is up from her 'i'm avoiding the sunshine nap'.  She did get up a few times and call for mom but when no one came, she went back into the shade.  Now shes on the ledge calling again.  She did a really beautiful wing spread at one point.  I guess we cant'  call her little girl anymore, she's a true juvie now - I wish we could get to see her fly because I think it would be a sight to see. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #767 on: August 05, 2008, 09:59 »
this one is going to give me a hart attack with those poses and wings outstretched

Lol..me too.  At one point this morning, she was crouched low and wings were out and I thought ..this is it!  But I think she's trying to psyche out mom and dad..like look I'm ready, I'm going to go.... doesn't that deserve food?  ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #766 on: August 05, 2008, 09:12 »
She is really doing well, I think on the self feed

this one is going to give me a hart attack with those poses and wings outstretched

I will post pictures later

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #765 on: August 05, 2008, 07:20 »
Wow..mom's got breakfast on the roof of the nest box??!!  Cassie was looking up going what the heck???  Now's she's cacking as mom processes the food - not enough room in the box anymore I guess.  Now Cassie is looking up and mom takes off with breakfast, she comes back, she's gone, she comes into the box this time...lol...lots of excitement this morning!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #764 on: August 05, 2008, 06:59 »
Oh my god, mom just flew in and they did a little beak kiss...hehe..it was so cute!  Probably Cassie was thinking she was getting some food..hehe :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #763 on: August 05, 2008, 06:54 »
7:53 am EST and Cassie is on he perch looking around - looks like she has a feather in her mouth again..lol...I guess she's picking out the last of her fluff  :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #762 on: August 04, 2008, 22:21 »
She finally headed back in to finish the meal by herself. She is now calmly perched on her ledge and is often looking up.  It is so nice to know Mom or Dad is usually within her view.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #761 on: August 04, 2008, 21:32 »
Thanks Bev for the day's pictures.  She is losing her baby fluff very gracefully, isn't she?
I missed the drop off, but it looked like she was picking away at a carcass inside for awhile, then on the ledge facing out cacking, and now is alternately looking into the box and over her shoulder, no doubt hoping for help. 
That nest clutter is amazing!   

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #760 on: August 04, 2008, 21:00 »
Thanks for the update and pictures Bev.  So happy to hear the parents are nearby which I kind of figured as she keeps looking over in the same direction and then sometimes I can see her head following something in the sky like she sees them flying off!  I wish she had a sibling to play with though but too late for that now..lol

She's screaming at them now..get over here and feed me... ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 21:08 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #759 on: August 04, 2008, 20:51 »
2 more

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #758 on: August 04, 2008, 20:45 »
I was out at the site about the time you saw her wings Carly.  I was there about 5:00 edmonton time.  when I saw her flapping I was just spellbound.  Her wings are vast.
Just to let you know that she is not alone.  One of the parents is usually on  a different part of the building.  what I will try and do tomorrow is give you a picture of the building and show you where I have found the parents perched. when you see her look left they  stand guard there.

when we got there mom was facing backwards on another part of the building and our girl was wing flapping.

Then Cassie went back inside and Mom flew off and I ran after her and found where she was this time. I spotted her on a building they like , on a balcony eating. (I wish I were living in that building). Dad must have dropped off food there.  We saw her turn and look that way before she flew off

Cassie can see them when they are over there . Then  dad came and roosted where mom had been , guarding Cassie.

We could not see Cassie when we left but we could hear her.

My she has just changed again over night . what a beauty.

To answer a question, she should fledge at about 50 days but anytime between 45 and 50.  males fledge earlier than females .  The young female last year fledged at 50 days. Helen said that if there were siblings she may try sooner but when they are alone they are not as curious. YOu want to go where your siblings are.

I will have to borrow my son-in-laws camera again as mine takes just wee pictures.
I will be on guard as of next weekend.  I will be watching very carefully.

I was out most of the day so this is all I have . sorry. You can see her changes though.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #757 on: August 04, 2008, 20:01 »
Our poor girl, she's finally sitting and resting.  She stood out there for hours on end all by her lonesome.    :( 

Lol...and she's back up ...hehe young and restless I guess  :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #756 on: August 04, 2008, 18:10 »
Welcome back bcbird!  Cassie is 39 days old now and Bev says the biologists think between 45-50 days .  Some go at 40 but they said she'll take a bit longer cause she's a girl. 

She sure looks curious at something up there, wonder if mom or dad are flying by .. oh wings are up, wow what a pose!!  Looks like she's ready for take off!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #755 on: August 04, 2008, 17:45 »
I'm home now, too, and was so excited to see the pages of our Cassie site to read, all the beautiful pictures and the very amusing comments!
She looks so confident standing on the ledge.  One foot up a bit, ok, lets check out the ankle jewellery, good.  Now we'll stand tall and yell for awhile.
So good to be able to check in on her again. Is the fledge expected any day now, or not for a few more?