Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 177865 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #874 on: August 07, 2008, 21:51 »
well , I am  back . I had to read your reports first to see how they fit with mine.

So ,you were all watching and can fill in the blanks ,I hope.

We arrived there at about 18:30.   We immediately saw dad at the top tower of his building(I am going to post a few terrible pictures so You can see where they were)
Cassie was outside and was very calm.  I could not see mom  but she could have been on the roof of the nearby buildings and we could not see.  she was not where she was the last day. Cassie did a few wing flaps from time to time but was mostly facing in and then looking out toward the adults.

I would say that between 19:00 and 19:10 . mom was in the air by dads building and Cassie started flapping like crazy.. YOu should see those wings.  Dad came out to greet her (mom) and they flew around a bit and then went to their respective perches.

A little bit later mom flew around her building and ended up on a balcony  on her building,where dad had left  her food.  I had seen the prey when we got there ,so dad had it waiting.  She started to defeather and we did see  feathers flying.(My neck is sore form looking).

When mom was finished what  she was doing she took off with the prey and went over the roof of  the new building and Cassie started squawking(about 19:36). what mom did was make a few loops around the building with the prey dangling. they do this to entice the youngsters to fly. ( so if Cassie was going nuts , that is why.)Mom did this a few times and then flew in with it.   Cassie had one big hissy  fit.  Mom came out on the stoop. she is gorgeous.(My husband had gone to the car and I could have killed him as he took the camera). when he came back he forgot the camera.The pictures would not have been too good anyway.) Cassie continued to cack when mom was on the stoop. 

Dad flew off his building and started soaring way up above the nest building.  WOW!!!  he just kept circling and then going further out and then back and then out.  (That is what  Cassie probably sees when she is looking up and around ).

Mom then went back inside the box and it appeared that she was helping Cassie, but you would know better from watching.  She stayed inside for a bit and then left with some prey in her talons.   Cassie was cacking as she  left.She flew over the roof of the new building and we did not see her go back to her building so we are assuming that she was somewhere up on the roof out of sight. when we left all was quiet.

a few times there I thought , slow down Cassie . I do not want yo to go yet. 
Of curse a few passersby stopped and I explained to them what was happening and  let them use my binoculars.

My husband has a lot of patience with me but he gets bored after awhile so I told him we would bring lawn chairs nest time and he could read. ( a lot of the time is spent waiting for something to happen.

so I hope you can fill in the blanks.  we ar going to do up some pictures to give you a full picture of what is happening.

One thing for sure. the longer Cassie stays the better. She needs to be strong becasue she has quite a ways to go to land. that is if she goes where the young one went last year.  Mind you, maybe the young one last year had a few stops.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #873 on: August 07, 2008, 21:00 »
That's neat, isn't it.  Mother knows best!
Bev will be relieved, for this evening anyway.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #872 on: August 07, 2008, 20:56 »
Well that was weird.  Mom took off again, cassie yelled at her at a few times before she did and after she left.  Then she jumped out on the perch and now she's lookin over to where Bev says she sits.  I guess food isn't as much fun unless mom cuts it up for you  :D

This old bird is off to sleep as it's 10 pm here and I know Bev is there so it's all good!  Looking forward to her report in the morning  :D  Enjoy the show !

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #871 on: August 07, 2008, 20:42 »
Lol..did you see mom looking down??  Bev, is that you!?!  Mom is in the house with dinner 2 no doubt and she's on the perch looking down now!

Mom is hanging around watching her feed, she is a beautiful bird that Radisson and she's off.....oh she's going to help her.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 20:46 by carly »

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #870 on: August 07, 2008, 20:20 »
Maybe Mom does realize Cassie isn't ready and wants her settled for the evening.

The CPF folks told me that the parents don't like them to fledge close to dark as that would make it difficult for all of them so they will feed them if it gets close to dusk to keep them at home.  If they land somewhere they shouldn't, like too low they would be susceptible to other predators including us humans once it gets dark.  It's easier when it's daylight because they can follow them and if they go too low, they will try to get them up higher. 

I am constantly amazed at their instincts but I suspect sometimes the kids don't listen  ;D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #869 on: August 07, 2008, 20:08 »
Maybe Mom does realize Cassie isn't ready and wants her settled for the evening.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #868 on: August 07, 2008, 20:05 »
Well witching hour and all is calm, either the food has soothed her or she's on her best behaviour for Bev  :D

Look how pretty she is sitting  :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #867 on: August 07, 2008, 19:27 »
Bev must have seen it!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #866 on: August 07, 2008, 19:17 »
Gees mom is fast, zip in, drop food, zip out and dinner is served  :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #865 on: August 07, 2008, 18:42 »
Good for you Bev.  We'll be watching with you online!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #864 on: August 07, 2008, 18:30 »
She keeps looking and staring straight up or straight down.  Wonder if mom or dad are doing fly bys maybe!

Drive carefully  :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 18:32 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #863 on: August 07, 2008, 18:28 »
I am leaving in a half hour to go down there. that way the traffic is not as busy

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #862 on: August 07, 2008, 18:08 »
so, when you see her facing left on th perches, she is looking at an adult.
See the roof across from her , well one sits further down and in the middle of the roof . I will try and post pictures tonight and you can see it.OMG she is flapping like crazy..This is good as she is getting strength but...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #861 on: August 07, 2008, 17:47 »
Yes she's been fed recently so no need to get hyper yet..but witching hour is coming so we'll see  :D

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #860 on: August 07, 2008, 17:30 »
She's looking fairly calm on that last rung.