Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 178498 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #244 on: July 05, 2008, 22:38 »
nice to see family together again. dad is feed ing and then mom comes in and dad continues to feed. dad leaves and then mom continues to feed.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #243 on: July 05, 2008, 18:36 »
I have  never seen the baby left that long so soon.  last year the female would not let the little one out of its site.

that being said , she was probably where she could see it.
I went down to the site and wouldn't you know it ,I forgot the camera. 3 pairs of binoculars and not the ********camera

Any way when we got there there was an adult on a building right next to where the male roosts.  the adult was defeathering what looked to be a Franklins gull.  Their heads are so similar that I could not make out who it was

However it finally left with the prey in tow and carried the prey over to the roof of a building adjacent to the nest box.  I could not run fast enough and my husband could not hear me shouting , here it comes.  Traffic noise I guess(by the way the rest of the campus heard me ;D ;D ;D) then an adult carried the prey to the nest box.  You could hear the baby peeping as it ate.  An adult then emerged and took the prey back to the building I originally saw the adult on , and then shortly after went back to the nest box.  YOu do not know the area so I cannot explain its route.From the actions of what the female does , I would say that the female took the food in and took it out and then came back.  I also think the female was the  adult defeathering.  I do not think  I saw the male  .  I f we had been there sooner I think we would have seen the male as he is the one that likes Franklins gulls

I am so sorry I forgot my camera.  It was nice to watch. I guess if I had stayed longer I would have seen the male come into the nest box as when I go home the male was in the box..( my husband humors me enough. I was ready to camp out for  awhile longer)

I f anyone was watching between 4:00 and % Alberta time they could tell me who was in the box feeding and then I would know i was right.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #242 on: July 05, 2008, 16:50 »
I hate when they leave the baby alone...this is going to be one of those nerve wracking boxes I can tell.  We'll all be biting our nails in hopes the baby doesn't plunge over the side  :o

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #241 on: July 05, 2008, 15:49 »
wow what a mess!!! Mom will be royally p'od at Dad now lol

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2008, 15:33 »
Go mom!!  Thanks for the play by play..so glad mom fed the little one.  Men..pffft!

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #239 on: July 05, 2008, 14:59 »
That is one well feathered nest!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #238 on: July 05, 2008, 13:32 »
       OMG   :o :o I got to tell you that I have never laughed so hard as just now.. Mom , did not want to wait I guess. I f dad caught it he would never be able to carry it that high.  He might have caught it and then left it for her but he prefers franklin's gulls so I am not sure here . but this is priceless Her nice clean mess is a mess. I do no think this pigeon was quite dead. someone bring in th ecleaners :) :)She fed the babe some and then left with the big part and then came back with a small bit and continued to feed babe..
I just have to post all of these pictures so you can get the idea.

I have to go but I was concerned for a bit. but Now I am just amused. dad may still be trying to get his gull.
Now it will be , where is my child.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #237 on: July 05, 2008, 13:02 »
I saw that earlier, too.  Looks like Mom has now got a substantial lunch feeding going on.
Do you know if she had to get it herself, or had Dad delivered?

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #236 on: July 05, 2008, 12:53 »
Thanks .
something is up and so I am watching carefully..This male is a good provider but so far no lunch and babe is hungry.. Mind you mom was away and he cannot hunt while he is in the box Mom went through the motions  but there was no food

Male has been gone 50 minutes (hunting I presume)
but f went out onto front perch and was calling and then left(She may just be on roof across the way)but she has been out of box for for 20 minutes now(unusual at this stage)

first 2 pictures are male and he has nothing to give hungry chick

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 12:55 by bev. »

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #235 on: July 05, 2008, 11:31 »
Check out the shadows of Chick and Dad in the first two.  Now we know who junior takes after.
You capture good pics, Bev!

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #234 on: July 05, 2008, 10:41 »
It sure is growing.  thanks for the pix ... i tried looking at the came and for some reason i can't get my picture to refresh.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #233 on: July 05, 2008, 10:37 »
the wee one is growing .I am hoping it is cooler ofr them today. we have a breeze and it rained a bit last night  so hopefully it will cool things a bit

pictures of dad and then chick and then mom looking in and then mom and chick

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #232 on: July 05, 2008, 08:31 »
9:30 EST time and checking in on the baby  :D  Got a good peek at her blinking in the sun and then mom hopped back in the box to shade her. 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #231 on: July 04, 2008, 23:34 »
I guess we can all see why we get so addicted.  She is a beautiful falcon. 

they are tucked in for the night and I see the nest box is clean again. As always the little woman has to clean up after the guy :) :)

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #230 on: July 04, 2008, 19:35 »
I don't remember Tracy being upset about your pictures.

Totally true!  If TPC had a problem with this, you would have heard about it by now I think.  Please stop worrying! 

I love that top pic posted at 18:58 -- Radisson is beautiful!  (and that face-planted babe is pretty funny!)