Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 178401 times)

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2008 / Damon & Radisson
« Reply #304 on: July 10, 2008, 16:54 »
The sleeping chick is so adorable, eyes popped open, then back to snooze.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #303 on: July 10, 2008, 16:19 »
Tracy, this is what Bev posted back on June 28th.

QUOTE: "She is fortunate to have a good male. someone asked about the male. 
He is 7 years old , was born in Edmonton and has been at this site since 2007(this is his 5th season here) sometimes you get good parents and then  lazy ones/  He has proved his worth and so they often try experimental things , like last year they put 2 fleglings at the site just when their own was ready to fledge. they did not put them in the nest box but around the site.  their fledges at their sites did not go well. the parents took them in and fed them also
So she is quite lucky to have him for her first clutch."

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #302 on: July 10, 2008, 13:10 »
Has anyone seen information on who Radisson's mate is this year?  I'll call the Edmonton Gang if I have to, but thought I would check with y'all first ....

The Peregrine Chick

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #301 on: July 10, 2008, 10:33 »
Yay! Radisson is back!! - hope she stays a while now!  ::)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #300 on: July 10, 2008, 10:30 »
when they band the chick they will take the egg

She has been alone again for over an hour.  She has snuggled up to old prey
and the egg an din the back.
I know their roosts so they can see the box but....(if they are there)
And we are told not to worry but I do wish also that she was not alone for so long so early. 

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #299 on: July 10, 2008, 09:59 »
I hope Radisson doesn't leave the chick alone so long again today. I've only been on for 5 minutes and already I'm wanting her to come back! Wouldn't be so bad if the little thing had a sibling to snuggle up with instead of that poor ol' egg .  :-\

I wish they would get rid of that egg.  I can't imagine if it broke.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #298 on: July 10, 2008, 09:53 »
I hope Radisson doesn't leave the chick alone so long again today. I've only been on for 5 minutes and already I'm wanting her to come back! Wouldn't be so bad if the little thing had a sibling to snuggle up with instead of that poor ol' egg .  :-\

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #297 on: July 10, 2008, 08:15 »
just so you know, we had 2 severe storms during the evening( pounding rain , high winds , thunder ,lightening.
this could affect cam 2 as soon as the sun warms up a bit(humidity)
A few pictures of early morning feed and the big crop

Mom took the prey out today so I do not know why she left some of the other in(not her pattern)
could be becasue of the severe weather we have had , she was making sure she had enough to feed them both if need be. :-\ :-\

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #296 on: July 10, 2008, 07:03 »
The lens is cleared up his morning and mom is cuddling with baby - she is the cutest chick ever!  I noticed she left the baby yesterday for quite a while as well but I'm the overprotective mom.  When our mom here used to leave her babies for too long I used to yell at the web cam while in the office at work no less..lol! 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2008, 00:02 »
Thanks Liz. I had never seen a chick left this long at this age before.  she was left  1 hour and 10 minutes that I saw.  I did phone my biologist friend to make sure things were O.K. O f course while we were on the phone she came in>. :) :)
He said that becasue it was 11 degrees it would be O.K. for awhile longer . I t still could not regulate its body temperature but it was still warm enough.  but he said definitely not for more than 2 hours. he had noticed as I had that this female has been leaving the chick tonger and longer but this did have me worried.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #294 on: July 09, 2008, 23:11 »
Please don't stress, Bev.  I think the parents know whether they need to be there (from what TPC has told us) and protect the babe, or if it's warm enough that it's okay sitting in the sun/getting heat.  If it gets too uncomfortable for the babe, a parent will come back in take care of it. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, Tracy. 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #293 on: July 09, 2008, 22:33 »
Hopefully I can shed some light on the cams.  we have had terrific  rain and hail and storms the last few days and today it  rained almost all day.  Then there is the humidity to boot . this is why this cam gets fuzzy.
 never have a problem with the times or the refresh. Sometimes if you are looking at say camera 2 and then switch to cam 3. and then go back to cam 2, cam2 will be at the time it was when you last looked at it so you have to wait a few seconds and then it changes. why that happens I am not sure

The no refreshing as i said has something to do with the Java program. we had to reinstall the old program

I am not happy with the babe being left so long . She has been alone fro 24 minutes since I came in  and I am not sure how long before that.
I know the area well and hopefully they are where they can see the box

but.....it is cool

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #292 on: July 09, 2008, 21:37 »
LOL

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #291 on: July 09, 2008, 19:05 »
You guys are right, when I expand the screen it does look like a finger print.  My guess..Radisson is sick of us critiquing her house keeping skills and she's given us "the talon"..so to speak  ;D ;D

Offline eagle63_1999

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
    • My Photography
« Reply #290 on: July 09, 2008, 18:52 »
now that you say the Pchemist, that's exactly what it looks like! But then the next obvious question is if it's a fingerprint how the he (double hockey sticks) did a fingerprint get on the camera?  Doesn't make any sense.  There has to be a logical reason as to why that particular camera is fuzzy where the other two aren't.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 18:56 by eagle63_1999 »