Author Topic: Canada Geese - Alberta / Edmonton  (Read 29014 times)

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Canada Geese - Alberta / Edmonton (2010)
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2010, 12:21 »
The battle continues out of range.  A goose came back, laid on the eggs, then was chased off by another goose, who then stayed on the eggs for only a minute and then went off to attack.  It is impossible for us to know who is the real mother, and who is not, so all we can do is hope for the best for the real mom and dad.  All the geese look really frazzled at this point - they must be exhausted.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2010, 12:14 »
Not sure who's back at the nest.

Offline Saoirse

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2010, 12:06 »
I agree, Allikat -- it's nature. And, after all, the peregrines we love to watch are raptors, surviving by hunting and killing other birds. I remember the first time I saw a meal arrive on the web cam -- arghhhh!

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2010, 12:03 »
for sure .... it's not always good. interesting none the less

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2010, 12:01 »
This is going to be tough on some to watch.....it is nature at it's worst.  But, we have to respect it. 

Offline msdolittle

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2010, 11:59 »
off the nest again ...

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2010, 11:57 »
And to make things worse, all geese look the same.  So now we don't know if this mom, dad, or the intruder back on the nest.  

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2010, 11:57 »
Just saw another attack.....didn't last long as I'm sure Mama and Papa went after the intruder.  They both came back to the nest.  This is going to be very stressful for this pair....hope they can manage and stand guard.  Good luck!

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 11:54 »
Oh, no!  Mom just got chased off the nest again by another goose!  I presume it was the same intruder as last time.  But where is dad with all this?  And now the two of them are back, and either the intruder or mom is getting bitten in the back of the neck.  Good grief, what a mess this all is!

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 11:49 »
Let's all hope for a positive outcome.

Offline Elaine L

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 11:44 »
Well, apparently there has been lots of drama here - unfortunately.  From what I understand, mama goose was attacked by another goose, and dad was not there to protect her; she left the eggs, the attacker hung around, mom came back and chased the attacker away, covered her eggs, but not for long as the attacker came back, then dad chased him off; meanwhile, the eggs have been uncovered more than usual. 

Apparently, due to a lack of water again this year (fewer sloughs, wetlands), many geese are attacking other geese because they want their sites.  I don't know if this is true, but it sounds plausible.

At present, mom (the real mom) is back on the nest, her headfeathers somewhat in disarray, but she is resting, and we all presume that dad is nearby, keeping a more vigilant watch to prevent further attacks by the intruder.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 08:29 »
Appears to be 8 eggs!  The nest is uncovered right now.  The nest is actually quite deep.  There are times that it shows only seven.  Who knew! :o

This morning, when Mama Goose was standing up, it looked as if there were 9 eggs! :o Maybe? :-\ Those egg shells sure must be strong. She was standing right on top of them and walking on them! :o

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2010, 21:57 »
I love watching this cam!!! 
One of my favorite videos, as of today, is last year's video of Mama leaving the nest with her little ones, and the two proud parents walking their family to the pond.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2010, 20:31 »
She appears to be such a great mama, making sure that all of her eggs are tucked in! :D

Offline Ellie

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2010, 15:48 »
Appears to be 8 eggs!  The nest is uncovered right now.  The nest is actually quite deep.  There are times that it shows only seven.  Who knew! :o