Author Topic: State Capitol - 2019 / 19K & Alley  (Read 5207 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Re: State Capitol - 2019 / 19K & Alley
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 21:44 »
As of the 20th, Alley & 19K are incubating 5 eggs ... making up for last year?!  :o

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 12:59 »
fingers so tightly crossed for this pair I'm losing blood flow ....  ;D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 13:48 »
Four eggs now!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 18:19 »
Just as a note, this early after laying the eggs can be uncovered even in cooler/cold temperatures without taking harm ... don't know if that will apply here, but until they are abandoned or discarded, don't count them out.

Note about leg injuries with peregrines - for males it is less serious than for females - females must stand and support both their weight and the males during copulation.  And the females, generally do more of the incubation, and almost all of the brooding over at least the first couple of weeks of brooding.  19K can roost on one leg and can also lie down to rest/sleep which will help recover from a soft tissue injury.  Anecdotally from Manitoba, Fiona turned up this year at the Radisson with a very pronounced limp and after a couple of weeks she was fine.  Same applied to one of the Logan chicks, such that I thought I might need to rescue him/her (sorry, can't remember who it was) but by day 3 it was better and by day 5 you wouldn't have know there had been an injury. 

I know it won't make it any easier when checking the cams & reports from Lincoln, but it really is a wait and see for both 19K and the eggs, but it is much too soon to right them off.  Cautious optimism and a little patience ... not easy I know.  :)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 09:43 »
This is from Peregrine Falcons Lincoln Ne Fb page. It is public so anyone should be able to see it.

Jeanne Hibbert
Admin · 1 hr
8am 4-14-19. As we knew with Papas injury that it could affect the breeding season, Mama left the eggs last night at aprox 1045pm and did not cover them all night. It did get to freezing temps. We all knew this could happen, and now we watch and learn and see what plays out with the eggs and nesting and how Papa does. At least we know they were spending time together yesterday and that he was eating and flying and they even mated. I will check on them again later today.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/376667965721280/permalink/2287097664678291/

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 18:10 »
Oh look at those little charmers :)  Egg-cellent news indeed.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 16:55 »
Three eggs today.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 20:01 »
Well, it's nice that the cams work for you, TPC. This year, none of the sites which use Flash or which use IE are working any longer. And my new computer will not allow IE to be installed, among many other programs.  >:(

Jeanne Hibbert's video shows two eggs in the nest.

Oh that's exceedingly frustrating!!
In case it helps - the computer I was using has Windows 8 and I used Firefox - did have to say yes to using Flash but came on just fine after that.  I have a new computer at home though - hopefully it will work. If it doesn't I'll be chatting with my IT folks at work and if they have a solution will be sure to share!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 16:11 »
Well, it's nice that the cams work for you, TPC. This year, none of the sites which use Flash or which use IE are working any longer. And my new computer will not allow IE to be installed, among many other programs.  >:(

Jeanne Hibbert's video shows two eggs in the nest.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 16:03 »
I cannot access the cam this year, but Jeanne Hibbert reported about this on her site.

I haven't checked the cams in a few days so thought I would check to see if I had any problems (this is the year of new computers so problems is sort of standard now).  All is good though, can access just fine.  Looks like Alley on the egg (I'm assuming still just one) in the nestbox right now and she looks good, well under cover and all bright eyed and bush-tailed.  Will see if I can keep an eye on this site over the next couple of days and see if I can see 19K and his limp.  I'm hoping just a poor landing and some soft tissue damage.  When Fiona at the Radisson arrived this year, she had a limp that I hoped was just soft tissue rather than something more permanent or more debilitating.  Long time until hatch so Alley should have no problem handing over incubating duties to 19K while she goes and hunts - perhaps hunts for both of them until he's back up and terrorizing pigeons.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 14:04 »
Papa 19/K now has an injured right leg and is limping badly.  :(

This is not good news at any time, but even more so when there are eggs in the nest. Papa is a very strong peregrine, but he is also 18 years old this year. I hope the injury will heal completely, and that Papa will be okay.

I cannot access the cam this year, but Jeanne Hibbert reported about this on her site.

Please read entire post. 4-10-19 645am

OK, here goes. I noticed yesterday evening when I was at the Capitol that Papa was laying on a buttress for the entire three hours I was there, right before I left he did fly and that seemed fine. After he landed he then again laid down on a buttress. When I got home I checked the recording and I could tell he had hurt his right foot/leg. He was not using it at all yesterday when he would visit the box. This vid is from this morning and you can see he is using it today a little bit, but still limping. I do not know what happened and I do not know how bad an injury this is. Yes, it could affect many things including landing, hunting, mating etc. We will just have to keep an eye out and wait and see what happens. At this point he is still flying well and coming to the box to relieve Mama. My hope is it will get better but that may not happen. He is one tough Peregrine but he is also 18 years old and I don't know about Peregrines but I know it takes me longer to heal then it used to when I was younger.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/376667965721280/permalink/2281122335275824/?__tn__=H-R

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 11:57 »
I was having a little think about when Alley was hatched so went off to my records to confirm - she is a 2004 hatch, that makes her 15 this year and the same age as Princess when she had her last (so far as we know) successful nest.  Now Princess has had 4 mates - the last 2 much younger than her - Smiley was 7 years younger  than her, Pip is 12 years younger.  Alley has only had one mate, 19K and he is older than she is - he is 19 this year - and as good a male as he is, age does creep up on one, even when one is a peregrine.

Fingers crossed for their lone egg ...

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 19:17 »
 :'( :'( :'(