Author Topic: ON / Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital - 2009-21  (Read 9979 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: News: Canadian Peregrines
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2021, 19:41 »
2021 NESTING SEASON

From Canadian Peregrine Foundation FB Page (https://www.facebook.com/Canadian-Peregrine-Foundation-149280041803853):

Mt Sinai Hospital’s resident adult male HUNTER rescued today July 22/21.

Hunter now 21 years old hatched in OHIO in 2000 and came to Toronto in 2002. He is now the oldest known, wild producing falcon in North America, having successfully produced another two offspring this season.  Hunter was reported trapped on a lower rooftop elevation at 60 Murray St. Toronto, part of the Mt Sinai Hospital facility.

Hunter was on the lower rooftop 5 floors up from the ground and two stories below the main upper roof for 2 days and was observed by hospital staff through a window trying without success to fly up to the 3 foot high retaining wall surrounding the roof he was on.

Yesterday staff from the Hospital called, emailed and sent photos and videos of Hunter on the ledge and together the hospital security and The Canadian Peregrine Foundation went into action.

Bruce Massey went down to the hospital to check out the situation and have a look through the window so see how Hunter was doing, how he looked, was there any obvious injury etc. Bruce reported that he was alert and running around the ledge and no obvious injury could be seen but he obviously can’t fly.

There was no access to the ledge through a door or window so a climb or repel down from the upper roof was required to rescue Hunter and get him off the lower roof elevation.

Mark Nash form CPF contacted John Miller our high altitude climber and falcon chick extractor who assisted us with the all of the banding of the chicks over the past 20 years. John was happy to help Hunter although this would be the first time he had to grab up and adult falcon. Mark Nash of CPF explained to John that being injured and the stress Hunter may have to endure to be rescued might be too much for an old guy like him and he should in no way feel responsible if hunter should die in the attempt. John understood and like us felt he was worth every effort we could make no matter the outcome because there was no other acceptable option.

Because John was at work and he had to book a day off and pack up his climbing equipment  it was not until today that we were able to get to the hospital to do the rescue.

Paul, the security manager at the Hospital who had alerted us about Hunter made all the arrangements to get us to the roof , check on the certifications of the roof anchors for John to tie off to for the repel down to the lower roof elevation and arranged parking for the team and get us to the roof.

On the way up to the roof with all the rescue and climbing equipment John and Mark were stopped by many staff members inquiring about Hunter or thanking them for coming to help their falcon Dad. It seemed to Mark the entire hospital knew Hunter was in peril and they were eager for any news.

For John this was an easy repel down to the ledge compared to the many he has done for us in the past. However catching up a feisty adult falcon was a bit different. Hunter played a royal game of tag running like thief all over the ledge.  John's determination won out though and John was able to safely and gently catch him up and put him in the rescue carrier lowered down to him from the roof by Mark Nash.

Mark then gave him some water which he eagerly accepted and rushed Hunter to Toronto Wildlife Centre for examination and treatment. We hope the prognosis will be positive and we will keep you posted as soon as we have any information on his diagnosis.

UPDATE ON HUNTER:  4:40 pm:
Just got a call at 4:40 from TWC about Hunter. Radiographs have been done and there are no breaks or fractures seen. He is dehydrated and light in weight so they are hydrating him and quail has been given. He will be kept in a quiet place tonight with quail to eat until tomorrow. He will see a vet tomorrow and they will decide what blood work should be done."

Wishing our very best for HUNTER and a speedy recovery.  Very thankful to all involved:  Bruce, John, Mark, Paul and TWC

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital - 2018 / Hunter & Ariel
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2018, 19:37 »
2018 NESTING SEASON

Hunter and Ariel did successfully raise offspring this year, they were not banded on the ledge so we have no idea how many they had.  Last I heard, the watchers think they saw 3 - one did come to ground and was banded at that time - that I know of.  Otherwise I haven't heard anything since..so perhaps no news is good news in this case  :)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
We have a double 'bandit' connection -  the one from Columbus, Ohio Alison mentioned and to Akron, Ohio's Bandit as well.   :-*

I had the pleasure of seeing both Ariel and Hunter and one of the girls last week in person.  We are all over the moon that he finally has the family he has tried so hard for.   :-*

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 16:33 by carly »

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
This is good news.  Thanks for sharing.  :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital - 2017 / Hunter & Ariel
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2017, 16:28 »
2017 NESTING SEASON

Hunter, the resident tiercel at the Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto, has his very first chicks this year at age seventeen.

For many years, Hunter and his former mate, Ranger, tried to have chicks. It seemed that something always seemed to happen to the eggs, which would disappear.

Sadly, Ranger is gone now. Hunter has a new mate, Ariel. Her mother is Athena, one of the last clutch of chicks raised by O'Connor, the resident female at Etobicoke, and her former mate Hurricane.

I am so happy for Hunter that he has chicks of his own this year. He is the son of a very famous tiercel, Bandit, the former resident male at the Rhodes Tower in Columbus, Ohio.

One of the chicks has already been rescued. I hope all three will stay safe.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/falcon-babies-mount-sinai-hospital-1.4195232

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Ontario / Toronto - Mount Sinai - 2011 / ? & ?
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2011, 14:55 »
2011 NESTING SEASON

!!! Both adults on site
February 13, 2011 - Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital
Linda Woods Reports:
A quick spot check on all 3 downtown nesting locations had both adults on site.

Today, 2 adult peregrines were sitting on the east side of the hospital in the far north ledge.

Not sure who they are though.  :-\

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Mount Sinai - 2010 / ? & Wind
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 16:25 »
An update from the site: no I.D. yet on the resident birds.

!!! FOUR EGGS and Peregrines are on site
May 16, 2010 - Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital

Linda Woods Reports:

Long distance observation confirmed 4 eggs on the 6th ledge from the north on the east side of Mt.Sinai Hospital.

Two adults were observed this morning sitting in the 6th and 7th ledges. The adult sitting in the 6thledge, with the eggs, was not showing typical incubation, it was just standing over the eggs the entire time I was observing.  In the mean time, the adult occupying the 7thledge was showing intense incubation behaviour, shielding by ‘mantling’ over the area.

When the adult finally came off the ledges, the 6th ledge bird exposed at least 4 eggs to my view. While the bird in the 7th ledge, I could not see anything. The shade had moved onto this area of the ledge and put everything to dark to see.  When the 7th ledge bird returned it immediately went into the far area of this ledge and was there for approximately 5 minutes, came out and flew off. It returned seconds later and returned to the far back corner of the 7th ledge. The adult that came off the 6th ledge where the eggs are seen did not return to this area, leaving the eggs exposed. I waited and did not see where this bird had flown.

More observation is needed, to confirm an actual hatch.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2010, 12:33 »
Linda's comments are encouraging. Talons crossed that Wind and Windwhistler are both there!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 05:19 »
Linda posted this on Imprints last night when asked about Wind:

I believe "Wind" is currently nesting at Mt.Sinai Hospital, on University Ave, Just up the street from the Sheraton Nest site. Don't have an ID on the male as yet. Need a power scope for that. Wind paid us a visit last year when we observing the Mt.Sinai nest site. She came very close to us. We we dove for cover, she came to rest on a area, where I was able to confirm her leg bands. Friday, the same person was again observing the pair and confirmed the band colours of the female, but not the numbers. But given creatures of habit, her resting spots are the same as last year, so I'm confident that it is Wind nesting at Mt.Sinai Hospital.  That would be wonderful if it is Windwhistler, as her mate. Both Wind and Windwhistler were hatched in 1998, so that is pushing the age. Windwhistler was hatched in Etobicoke,( Toronto )

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 23:32 »
Are "they" still thinking its Windwhistler and Wind?

Nothing has been mentioned . . . no definite I.D. so far.

Thanks Alison!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2010, 14:09 »

Nothing has been mentioned . . . no definite I.D. so far.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2010, 12:12 »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2010, 15:53 »
The peregrines weren't seen for a few days, but they are still around:

They’re still here
April 28, 2010 - Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital

Linda Woods Reports:

After numerous days of not seeing any peregrine activity, today was more positive.

10:45 a.m. male peregrine seen flying in the area south of the hospital. It eventually came to rest on the south facing ledges with prey in it’s talons. After making my way to a higher viewing area, I could clearly see the female in the ‘nesting ledge” The same area as previous reports.  I also discovered a food stash on a ledge of Princess Margaret Hospital.  I continued to observe for another hour with no movement from the nesting female.

So I guess they were there the entire time. Sneaky.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 20:47 »
We would all be beside ourselves if it's Windwhistler and the fact that Linda mentions it makes me wonder if she doesn't think it is him.  He'd be 12 years old now ...I've always wanted to meet the infamous bigamous male - he'd be chuffed to know that there's another one at the site where he was born at.  Must be something in the pigeon's there I'm thinking  ::)

They still talk about him at every fledge.  Last year Bruce told me that he had to be rescued 6 times when he fledged and they thought at the time that he'd never make it.  Then 2 years later he shows up as the male at two sites..he's a legend here!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 20:49 by carly »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 17:00 »
From the CPF site today:

Linda Woods Reports:

Male seen flying over University Ave south of College St around the noon hour today. He may have just handed the nest over to the female. It is unconfirmed, but I think the female may still be Wind. It would be wonderful if the male is still Windwhistler.  Incubation continues.

Good news that Wind may still be the female here. Linda knows Wind well, so if she thinks it is her, I expect she is right. I agree it would be wonderful if Windwhistler is still there too.