Author Topic: Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente  (Read 23398 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Eurasian Kestrel - Netherlands / Beleef de Lente
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2009, 18:21 »
Would she incubate if her mate is missing so long?  Would she know that she couldn't provide for them on her own?  Kind of like our ravens didn't incubate that last egg because they knew they couldn't stay maybe.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2009, 18:05 »
This is her usual spot at night. I'm glad to see her as she was not there last night during the many times I looked. Still seems strange she has not started incubating. She almost looks like she is waiting for something or someone.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2009, 17:55 »
 :'( :'( Very sad news, I'm so sorry.  :'( :'(

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2009, 17:50 »
and she's still sitting there...... :'(grieving perhaps?  However birds do that.  To get inside her head. . . . .  ???

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2009, 14:57 »
there is a kestrel outside on perch right now. at first I thought theer were 2 but it must be shadow. I have both cams up.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2009, 14:19 »
this is so sad. the female was in the box yesterday for a bit and was incubating.

I hate confrontation, even though I know this is nature. Maybe the male just decided to find a new site for he and his missus. Just like the raven at Edmonton did.
I will chose to think the best. Still not too late for a second clutch if they do have a new site.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2009, 14:08 »
It doesn't look like good news.  It appears that all of the videotapes have been reviewed and that the last time the male was seen was on the evening of the 27th.  There is a clip on the site now.  There is a final image with words that I don't know the meaning of but it appears that they are assuming that he is dead.   :'(  I don't know if the female is still around but if she is she hasn't been incubating the eggs.  There hasn't been any mention of the jackdaws being around during that time period but it was the day that one of the Kestrels had the confrontation with the dove in the nestbox. 

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2009, 14:00 »
Oh dear.....I was hoping I'd find good news in here. 

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2009, 22:54 »
I don't even want to think about that crow coming back.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2009, 21:52 »
Yeah, three days is a long time for no sightings of the male and I was wondering too why mama isn't incubating.  If there was to be a sixth egg I think it would have been laid by now.  Wonder what's going on??  We'll have to settle for never finding out I'm afraid.  Still want to stick my hand in that nest box thought and pull out a bunch of those branches.  Given that the dove was back in the nest yesterday or the day before makes me wonder whether the dove's and kestrel fought?  Didn't someone say a raven poked his head in again a few days ago?

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2009, 21:38 »
I have seen the female sit on the doorway of the nest box at times in their night. I have been worried that she did not start incubating yet but it seems that she was still laying eggs. Maybe the dove felt knew something we don't when she tried to sit on the eggs herself.

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2009, 21:35 »
Boy I feel bad.  I've got my daughter hooked on falcon watching and then drew her in to this nest and she's anguishing over this now too.  Makes you almost wish the dove would come back and help out!  I saw the female approx 24 hours ago but absolutely nothing since. 

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2009, 19:35 »
I hope he is still around...especially after everything that has happened at this site.  There are 5 unguarded eggs at this nestbox.  Let's all keep our fingers crossed! 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2009, 19:16 »
That's so sad, I hope he is still around.

Offline maggieblue

• Past Member
  • Fledgling
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2009, 19:13 »
Irenekl, I agree. I have been translating the observations for several weeks and it appears that they are monitoring both cams 24/7 to record observations.  I don't know if they have any observers "on the ground".  The male has not been seen here for 3 days.  I checked in many times today and only saw the 5 eggs, no adults.  It is possible that both adults are just outside of cam range and may reappear.  But I have to say that, especially in light of all that has gone on here it is worrying.  I hope that we will hear some positive information here soon.