Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2009 / Damon & Radisson  (Read 116577 times)

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - March 2009
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2009, 23:08 »
Thanks muchly, birdcamfan!   :) :) :)

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2009, 22:11 »

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2009, 21:01 »
Can someone send me the link to this webcam??  For some reason, that seems to be the only cam I don't have in my favorites... ::)
That happened to me, too, and I definitely had it last year! 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2009, 20:30 »
No need to welcome them, just need to recognize their place in the hierarchy and our contribution.  One thing you can do is wait until the fall and then break up their nest.  The birds and any of their chicks will be gone so no harm to them.  If they have to rebuild next year, they may move along, or they might rebuild and supplanted the year after by merlins who won't do any work on the nest and after a year or two the nest disintegrates and in the meantime the crows/ravens have re-established themselves elsewhere and it will take them a few years to work themselves back into your neighbourhood in the meantime, you will enjoy all your songbirds and whatever refugees turn up.

Look for the silver linings ... actually, having birds at all is a silver lining, so enjoy them.  Oh, and baby crows and ravens are so brutally ugly they are adorable and like most younglings, their first flights are usually a comedy of errors.  Silver linings folks  ;)

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2009, 20:12 »
I could see in the netherland live cam a jogger go by and I wanted to yell at him to come over and sort out the troubles in the nest.  My daughter says I'm nuts but I figure with technology these days I should be able to do it!  It will be interesting what, if anything, the Edmonton folks will do.  I'm still not entirely convinced I can welcome the ravens and crows to my yard.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2009, 20:07 »
Thanks irenekl....I know what you mean though!  I wish that I could stick my hand through the monitor and help them all...but I can't  :(

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2009, 19:59 »
I feel everyones pain.  It's very upsetting when there are intruders at a nest - no matter how healthy in the head we are!  It's always been said that nature is cruel so why wouldn't we react - a little ;)
Anyway, I get very upset watching what appears to be a kestrel nest at the Netherlands cam site.  I go there too everyday to watch the falcon nest.  There are terrible wars going on for some kind of bird who is incubating an egg and gyrfalcons and ravens are all intruding and making life very difficult for this poor mama.  I just want to stick my hand through the monitor, remove all the branches they bring in and shew them all away! If you go there click on the tape recordings to the right of the cam and watch the latest fight of today. (not too gruesome and they all appear okay later).

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2009, 19:42 »
No No No Carly, it's not your fault...
And YES...TPC is probably wishing she had a bigger shovel   ;)
I wonder where Allikat would go??????

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2009, 19:38 »
It's my fault, I posted about the ravens vs falcons...so I'm sorry too.  Poor TPC..she's probably wishing she had a bigger shovel ;)

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2009, 19:32 »
I know, I know, I got way to carried away there...I'm sorry about that.  
I read what I wrote after I posted it and thought, OH MY :o!!  
Didn't mean for that to come out so aggressive... my apologies   :-[
As TPC wrote, "Nothing has happened, so slow down!!!"   :-X

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2009, 19:28 »
Well this is almost funny.  I read one post that says the ravens are good, appreciate them.  So I say to myself alright - come on in ravens and crows, ruin my life in the backyard where I used to watch all the little birds at my feeders.  Then I read another post from Bev telling how she chases them all away so she can enjoy the songbirds so I say Yes, me too!  Away with the ravens & crows!  Then Tracy pipes up again for all things natural - oh man what to do!?  I'm going to have a much closer look at this whole thing and see what the suggested site at Cornell tells me.  Thanks Tracy.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2009, 19:16 »
We are a little passionate about our birds aren't we TPC?  And here you thought we had abandonned them for the little pandas  ;D 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2009, 19:12 »
Slow down Allikat, there isn't a territorial dispute yet.  Don't look for trouble where there isn't any yet.

If the project staff can keep emptying out the nesting material the ravens will probably give up out of frustration and move to a new site before the peregrines turn up.  They have the same nesting imperative as everything else and if it looks like this site isn't going to work, then they will move.  Its a quick, simple, easy fix with no danger to anyone, except maybe from climbing all the stairs to the roof with the nestbox.

I've contacted the U of A folks as they seem to be the ones watching over the box.  I've also sent an email to the provincial wildlife agency in charge as a back-up.

Think happy thoughts Allikat  ;)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2009, 19:09 »
Good god, I think they've brought a tree in there..look at those branches! :-X

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2009, 19:05 »
Can someone send me the link to this webcam??  For some reason, that seems to be the only cam I don't have in my favorites... ::)

http://www.species-at-risk.mb.ca/projects/pfrp/forum/programs/index.php/topic,216.0.html

When you are looking for links, I always try to set them up separately - usually with something like "Project Webcams" for a title.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 19:12 by The Peregrine Chick »