Author Topic: IN / Fort Wayne - 2009-18  (Read 10694 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Indiana - Fort Wayne - 2010 / Roosevelt & Freedom
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2010, 20:48 »
I hadn't seen Freedom lately, but she came home for the night this evening. It isn't a good pic, but I can't do anything about the blobs on the lens. I was just glad to see her there.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2010, 20:47 »
So much antipathy towards the poor pigeons! I don't think the pigeons are stupid at all; I think they know that the peregrines normally go after them only when they are in flight. I also think that they can see whether a peregrine has a full crop, and realize that they are safe for a while. Unlike humans, peregrines don't hunt for so-called "sport".

Also, pigeons are not the only birds to approach peregrines. I remember seeing a little mockingbird go dancing along a branch towards Newton, the female at the I-90 Bridge site in Ohio. The little bird went right up to her, and started singing. When he finished his song, he danced back along the branch and left. Newton just looked at him.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 21:17 »
Actually, the pigeons are pretty smart in those photos - with a falcon there, no other predator can get them.  If the falcon gets the munchies, it has to take off and come back, which gives the pigeons time to bolt for cover.

Not so stupid ... good peregrine chick brain food perhaps ... still flying kraft dinner though  :D

Online sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 12:01 »
Really does show how stupid pigeons can be, doesn't it? ;D ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 23:50 »
That is such a hoot, with Freedom and all the pigeons ;D ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 20:45 »
Freedom and Roosevelt do have a very strong bond. I hope they will still be together for a long time.

The Supervisor:

The peregrine left, and the pigeons came closer and closer to the nest.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 09:51 »
You're right, it's wonderful to see these two with their very strong bond.  It's actually very cute and sweet. 

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 04:57 »
Very happy to hear they are both still here.  I think it's a great opportunity to see how older falcons behave.  Even though they aren't reproducing anymore (not yet anyway!), they still have a strong pair bond and their home!  It's like they are an old married couple enjoying their twilight years together  :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 23:06 »
Sounds like it is her - will be nice to see if her patterns have changed any between last year and this - can't really tell with her feathers slicked down in the November photo and puffed up today!  :D 

I tried to find a few pics of Freedom in a similar pose from last year, for comparison:

close up of Freedom

Roosevelt has also been seen at the nest this year -- haven't seen him personally, but there is no question that it is him.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 22:42 »
Sounds like it is her - will be nice to see if her patterns have changed any between last year and this - can't really tell with her feathers slicked down in the November photo and puffed up today!  :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 22:38 »
Okay, asking again Alison (sorry  :-\) are we assuming its Freedom back? or have we seen some band numbers?  Considering how good this camera is, wouldn't surprise me if you (or someone has)!!

I didn't see her band numbers today, but I have seen them fairly recently. This is definitely Freedom (band number U/sideways eight). Here is one pic from November with her band visible: for some reason if I enter the band number with an asterisk, I get an emoticon.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 22:30 »
Okay, asking again Alison (sorry  :-\) are we assuming its Freedom back? or have we seen some band numbers?  Considering how good this camera is, wouldn't surprise me if you (or someone has)!!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 21:58 »
Lets all hope there will be eggs in that nestbox this year. 

That might be a lot to ask -- Freedom will be 16 this year, and Roosevelt will be 15 years old. They have already made a huge contribution to the peregrine population.

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 20:39 »
Lets all hope there will be eggs in that nestbox this year. 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Indiana - Fort Wayne - 2010 / Roosevelt & Freedom
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 20:28 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

Freedom came home late in the day to settle in for the night. When it was almost completely dark, she moved into the nest box.