Author Topic: Non-Resident Sightings - 2020  (Read 40049 times)

Offline Eye-spy

• Project
  • Chick
Re: Non-Resident Sightings - 2011
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2010, 16:27 »
Okay, at the risk of looking like the rube of the forum, I have to ask the question above.  

Here's what happened:

A couple of weekends ago, I was downtown, just outside cityplace, and was delighted to see, flying above the Delta, three peregrines. They looked to me to be three of the kids. So I watched them circling, catching thermals, doing their little ballet, when a fourth bird joined in. Neat-o! I think it's all four kids!

So I stood and watched for a while as they circled higher when a fifth bird joined in and then a sixth! I'm just about beside myself because I think I have the whole family! So I stand watching totally mesmerized. And I keep counting to assure myself that there are actually six when, oh-oh, there's seven!

But, I really don't believe they were seagulls. They all circled and circled with one another higher and higher until they all disappeared.

As I say, I don't want to sound like a dumb bunny, but I'd swear there were seven falcons all flying together in concert.
Put the bottle down Cooper, the double vision has set in.  No more lunches with Barbara.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2010, 16:23 »
Probably a little early for multiple peregrines, particularly on the wing Cooper, though we do at times see them in those kinds of numbers occasionally as they come north in the spring.  Both Dennis and I have photos of buildings with up to 7 peregrines on them. Downside is that they don't stay long ... we'll see them at 8pm and by 4am the next morning all but one will be gone and not seen again.  If I had to hazard a guess, I would be inclined to say there were crows in the mix.  More than once I have seen young peregrines chasing/harrassing/being harrassed by crows - they are the same body size and from a distance the same density of colour.  There are a few other raptor species that have been seen in towns and in groups - saw 5 red-tails together (all adults) last week which was a first for me so it could have been something else buzzing through at a different altitude.

Of course, just my best guess as I wasn't there beside you when you saw them.  I can say that we haven't had increased numbers at any of our migration roost sites, or more sightings and there hasn't been an noticeable increase in the number of peregrines spotted at migrations hawkwatch sites, so no indication that migration has begun, so ... but then, who knows  ;)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2010, 15:10 »
Wow Cooper, most definitely a question for the Chick.

Offline Cooper

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Non-Resident Sightings - 2011
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2010, 14:55 »
2011 NON-RESIDENT SIGHTINGS

Okay, at the risk of looking like the rube of the forum, I have to ask the question above.  At first I was not going to ask, thinking I could not possibly have seen what I saw. But it's been bugging me for the last couple of weeks.

Here's what happened:

A couple of weekends ago, I was downtown, just outside cityplace, and was delighted to see, flying above the Delta, three peregrines. They looked to me to be three of the kids. So I watched them circling, catching thermals, doing their little ballet, when a fourth bird joined in. Neat-o! I think it's all four kids!

So I stood and watched for a while as they circled higher when a fifth bird joined in and then a sixth! I'm just about beside myself because I think I have the whole family! So I stand watching totally mesmerized. And I keep counting to assure myself that there are actually six when, oh-oh, there's seven!

I say this cannot be! So I count again and sure enough there are seven. Of course by this time they are so high that I can't really be certain that they are our falcons and because I know there can't be seven, I tell myself that one or more must be seagulls.

But, I really don't believe they were seagulls. They didn't fly like seagulls. I know the first three were falcons. So, surely seagulls wouldn't join up with them.  I watched for quite some time, so I know it wasn't a fly through kind of thing. They all circled and circled with one another higher and higher until they all disappeared.

So, could the neighbourhood kids have come for a play date? Would a stranger in town be permitted to fly with the family?

As I say, I don't want to sound like a dumb bunny, but I'd swear there were seven falcons all flying together in concert.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Non-Resident Sightings - 2010
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2010, 11:57 »
Hard to believe that time of year is coming around again already.  Feels like they just got here  :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2010, 11:42 »
Yesterday I received my first email on fall migration sightings from the hawk-watch stations in southern Canada, the US and Mexico.  First three emails came from Pennsylvania (they have a number of stations) and they reported an American Kestrel, a bald eagle and an osprey.  Guess some of the folks are starting to move even if its not southward bound yet ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2010, 17:45 »
Hey, is there any news on chinook or Mistral?   ;D

Nothing so far, but thanks for asking!  ;) ;D

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2010, 22:56 »
Hey, is there any news on chinook or Mistral?   ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2010, 13:55 »
Well then, could it be remotely possible that Trey is still on his way? :-\

Anything is possible ... Dennis and I have been hitting all the favourite spots around the City over the last few days just in case someone we know comes bombing in/through.  With all the changeover - every site has a different male this year, we thought we would hedge our bets ....

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2010, 12:59 »
...Have noticed over the last 7-10 days that more peregrines have been observed all the migration sites in Mexico and the US than had been seen from January to mid-April.  A second wave front of peregrines coming north - Homeless (Ms Edmonton) just returned to her nestsite in Edmonton a couple of days ago.  The tundra peregrines that overwinter in Chile are only just hitting Panama right now so there will another wave coming through in a couple of weeks, one that will fly right over us heading for Baffin Island and other High Arctic locations.
Well then, could it be remotely possible that Trey is still on his way? :-\

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2010, 11:40 »
We get surprised  :o  from time to time too Dupre!!!

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2010, 10:57 »
Wow...

Thanks for the spring migration update. Didn't realize that so many falcons "passed through" Winnipeg.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
Non-Resident Sightings - 2010
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2010, 23:10 »
2011 NON-RESIDENT SIGHTINGS

Dennis was taking the long way home from work and not only did he see three peregrines on a communication mast at his office but he found five more at a favoured "port in a storm" roost location here in town.  It's not a nest site, just a spot where if there is poor weather (wind or wet) peregrines in the neighbourhood will seek shelter there.  Last year we had a similar peregrine "boom" during bad weather, wind in that case and there were seven there and they were all gone by 5 am the next morning and we didn't see any of them again at the location.

We thought the ones at Dennis' office might be the West Winnipeg pair as its just outside their territory but no, they were at the B&B and didn't look like they were going anywhere.

Have noticed over the last 7-10 days that more peregrines have been observed all the migration sites in Mexico and the US than had been seen from January to mid-April.  A second wave front of peregrines coming north - Homeless (Ms Edmonton) just returned to her nestsite in Edmonton a couple of days ago.  The tundra peregrines that overwinter in Chile are only just hitting Panama right now so there will another wave coming through in a couple of weeks, one that will fly right over us heading for Baffin Island and other High Arctic locations.

Offline Mother Hen

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: November 2009 - Our Mystery Visitor Identified
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2009, 11:34 »
That is sooooo cool. She is a beatiful girl.

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: November 2009 - Our Mystery Visitor Identified
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2009, 09:49 »
Air quality check, just because I can ;D ;D
No birdies, but it sure ias a lovely day out there :)