Author Topic: Non-Resident Sightings - 2020  (Read 40034 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: November 2009 - Our Mystery Visitor Identified
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2009, 12:24 »
Good work TPC and Pam. thanks for the shot of the male Allison.

We just never know where they will end up do we. I think we need to steer a few to Saskatchewan. (Regina ,maybe ;) ;))

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2009, 14:32 »
Tracy......... silly question,  if she was hatched in Fargo, is it natural for them to come a bit north before heading south ?  she just touring ?
Donna 

Keep in mind that the peregrine chicks fledged in July and once they got the whole hunting thing down and don't need Mum & Dad, they tend to go wandering.  Fargo isn't that far from Winnipeg as the Peregrine flys - Holly, the resident female in Brandon before Hurricane, came from Fargo and all three of our Radisson females are from south of the border - Minneapolis for Maud and Princess, Cedar Rapids Iowa for Madame.  And while we first observed Madame in December 1990 (she hatched in 1989) she could have been hanging around outside the Radisson territory for months before that.

But back to why come north ... have y'all noticed how many wetlands we have up here?  It would be simple for her to follow the Red River* north, hunting all the way, until she hit the Netley-Libau Marsh at the south end of Lake Winnipeg.  After a few meals of shorebirds, waders and small ducks, a left turn would take her to Oak Hammock Marsh for a few more meals and OHM is only 5-10 minutes as the peregrine flies from downtown Winnipeg.  The Radisson has always been popular with peregrines (that's why we have a nestbox there) so with Trey & Princess absent but prey remains still in evidence (ick) and both the Red and Assiniboine Rivers nearby, OHM not far away and really stoopid KDW (Kraft Dinner with Wings) all over the place, here she hung out for a bit.  Could also be that a storm blew her up here, but can't think of anything from the south at the end of September/early October that might qualify ... either way, she's fine, provided everyone with a little mini "fix" and she is back on her way again now ...

The Red River of the North flows north from northern South Dakota, through Fargo-Moorhead, Grand Forks and on to Winnipeg before emptying into Lake Winnipeg.

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2009, 12:57 »
Maybe cross-border shopping for a little Peregrine Kraft dinner!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2009, 22:25 »
I have been following this story about the "mystery" peregrine falcon on our Radisson nest ledge. Yes, great detective work, TPC & Pam! ;D But I too am wondering what brought her north instead of south, this time of the year? :-\

Offline Pam

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2009, 17:35 »
Thanks, Tracy - great to put a name to the face!

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2009, 16:20 »
Or did she misplace her compass?

Offline Donna

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2009, 00:56 »
Tracy......... silly question,  if she was hatched in Fargo, is it natural for them to come a bit north before heading south ?  she just touring ?
Donna

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2009, 19:52 »
Wow...good detective work and what an interesting history, some of the names are familiar to me too but only as I've read them elsewhere.

Great photo of dad too Alison, I see the family resemblence in that 'look'  ;)   I hope wherever she goes, she stays safe  :-*

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2009, 19:11 »
What great news that you've been able to identify her, TPC! And fascinating family tree information. I'm familiar with most of the names there. I wonder where she is now.

Here is a pic of her father, Dakota Ace.

Photo by Wick Corwin.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2009, 19:02 »
For those who didn't see the photos of Sandy earlier ....

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 19:04 by The Peregrine Chick »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
November 2009 - Our Mystery Visitor Identified
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2009, 18:56 »
The mystery bird that spent a week-ish making a mess at the Radisson has been identified.  It was a female (good eyes Pam!), hatched this year from a wild-nest at the Community First National Bank in Fargo, North Dakota.  Her band number is black over green, sideways V over sideways E (*V/*E).  And her name is Sandy.

For those of you who think the location is familiar, it is.  A few years ago, one of our birds was the resident female there, actually the female was a daughter of Winnie from Winnipeg who nested in Omaha, Nebraska for a number of years.  Winnie is a kid of T-Rex and a half-sister of Trey.  Now Sandy is not related to Winnie or any of the Manitoba birds so far as I can find (at least not so far  ;)) but here is her immediate family tree (sorry, haven't figured out how to more easily post the family tree hierarchy information.

Sandy (two sibs: female=Crest and male=Harrison)

-- Dakota Ace (father = 1997 captive-bred bird hack released in 1997 in Sioux Falls, SD) resident male in Fargo since 2001 (Winnie's kid was his first mate)
----- parents are captive breeding pair in South Dakota

-- Miracle (mother = 2004 wild-hatched chick from the Sherco Power Plant in MN - webcam on Forum) resident female since 2008
----- unidentified male (material grandfather)
----- Seminoe (maternal grandmother = 1999 wild-hatch from Prairie Island Plant in Goodhue county, MN) resident female at Sherco Plant since 2002
-------- Maverick (maternal great-grandfather = 1988 wild-hatch from Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN) resident male from 1990-1994
----------- parents are captive-breeding pair in Minnesota
-------- Comet (maternal great-grandmother = 1988 wild-hatch from Rouchleau Pit Virginia, St. Louis county, MN) resident female from 1990-1998
----------- parents are captive breeding pair in South Dakota

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Non-Resident Sightings - 2009
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2009, 22:08 »
Well TPC, to quote you, "No news is good news"   :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2009, 21:46 »
'Fraid nothing on Chinook or Mistral or their Grandma Madame ... but then, unless it happened here, I wouldn't hear about it yet ....

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2009, 20:53 »
Have you heard any news of Madame, I have a feeling I should know this answer but I don't?

Or Chinook and Mistral ?   :D

Thanks for the information.... :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2009, 18:37 »
Very interesting info, TPC. Thanks! :D