Author Topic: ON / Toronto - King Street - 2008-15  (Read 3609 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Toronto - King Street - 2009 / Windwhistler & Erin
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2009, 11:39 »
I'm not really sure why they posted this now as we already knew about Majestic and last I heard Mazie went missing shortly after fledging and was never found or seen again to my knowledge.  

And we already know who Majestics parents are...I think someone missed the bus  ???!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:40 by carly »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2009, 22:11 »
nice to hear Loriann.

This is so neat to hear of the bond between Majestic and Ihrig.
Amazing.  :-* :-*

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2009, 14:54 »
UM-Flint has unofficial mascot in 'Maize'
Peregrine falcon family at the new nest site on top of the North Bank Center.

Lynne Ihrig, a systems administrator intermediate for Information Technology Services (ITS) at UM-Flint, was looking out her window on the fifth floor of the North Bank Center at the Durant building, which is kitty-corner to her. She noticed a pair of peregrine falcons and what looked like a possible nest. Ihrig was concerned for the falcons, which have been in the Flint area for quite sometime due to the ongoing construction at the Durant.
“I saw the mother and it looked like she was sitting on a nest,” Ihrig said. “I called the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and they asked me a lot of questions - I passed their test so they sent someone out.”

At first the crews working on the Durant thought they could put off construction as long as young Maize was still in the nest. But they soon realized that time was of the essence to continue with their project, so it was decided that the peregrine falcon’s nest would be moved the 300 feet to the 12th floor of the North Bank Center.

The day of the move came and a unique relationship between the mother, whose name is Majestic, and Ihrig came into play.
“Sometimes, I can sit by the window on the 12th floor, and she will fly over and sit next to the window.” Ihrig said, “She sits there and makes little noises at me, not screeching and not threatening - we just sit.”
When the nest was first moved, it took the mother two hours to finally come over to the nest. So Ihrig thought she would try what normally worked to get Majestic to fly over - she sat at the window. Moments later, Majestic was at the nest with her baby.
Ihrig also was given the honor of naming the baby, since she was the one who first discovered the nest. “They (DNR) allowed me to watch them band her, and then I named her 'Maize.'”
These birds are banded because there are so few in this area. The parents, seven-year-old Majestic was born in Toronto, Canada and 8-year-old Barry was born in Ohio. The peregrine falcon is still on the endangered species list, with only 10 mating pairs in the state of Michigan. The peregrine falcon mates for life, which also makes them unique.

Offline Loriann

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2009, 14:46 »
Toronto Peregrine creates a family at Durat Hotel in downtown Flint Michigan
December 30, 2009 -
Matt MacGillivray Reports:
It looks as if a 7 year old Toronto Peregrine Falcon named Majestic, has created a family with an 8 year old Peregrine named Barry from Ohio.  The pair had a chick earlier this year, named Maize, who has become a bit of a mascot for Flint, and the local Michigan University according to this Flint Journal article which includes great photos and video.

It is great to hear about Canadian Peregrines moving on to create new families beyond our borders.

I have yet to find details about Majestic’s birthplace or parents in Toronto, but will followup with more details if we find them.  Until then, here is a bit more information from the Michigan Times about the banding of Majestic’s chick Maize in the summer of 2009, including a great photo of a Peregrine atop the North Bank Centre.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2009, 17:06 »
A visitor again today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2009, 14:36 »
One adult on the ledge:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2009, 17:54 »
Maybe you'll see them next time . . . but please, don't get hit by a car -- we need you here!

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2009, 17:53 »
It's funny but the last 2 months I've been going down to a large market near this nest site and the Sheraton.  And every Saturday morning when I go down there I almost get hit by a car because i"m looking up to the skies to see if I can catch a glimpse of one of the falcons down there but I never have. 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2009, 17:49 »
Someone on the ledge today for a short time:

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2009, 17:08 »
Not sure, could be Erin as it looks kinda large.

Offline kittenface

• Past Member
  • Chick
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2009, 14:38 »
Anyone have a guess who this might be?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2009, 20:54 »
It's been a while since I've seen a peregrine at the King Street site:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2009, 18:33 »
Thanks, Kinderchick! I'm glad you're enjoying watching the falcons!

Today one of the parents visited the nest ledge:

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2009, 20:45 »
Great photo, Alison! Thanks! :D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2009, 19:29 »
I'm so glad all the chicks fledged successfully at King Street. Caught someone there this afternoon for the first time in a while, and after I enhanced it a bit I think it looks like one of the juvies: