Author Topic: ON / Hamilton - Sheraton Hotel - 2008-21  (Read 9352 times)

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: ON / Hamilton - Sheraton Hotel - 2008-21
« Reply #308 on: March 26, 2015, 08:28 »
The new male, Ossie, is banded black/black O/8 (that is the letter O, not a zero). 

Interesting band - same type as Trey's and other of our birds banded in the 1990s.
I'm assuming he's an eastern Ontario bird - do we know from where he hails?

He is from our William Osler site in Etobicoke.  They used an older leftover band for him, found in a drawer at MNR somewhere..lol!  Ossie was born in 2012 so not so old  ;)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #307 on: March 26, 2015, 01:13 »
The new male, Ossie, is banded black/black O/8 (that is the letter O, not a zero). 

Interesting band - same type as Trey's and other of our birds banded in the 1990s.
I'm assuming he's an eastern Ontario bird - do we know from where he hails?

Offline gran2496

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #306 on: March 21, 2015, 16:29 »
There have been no sightings of Madame X, we hope she has just left the area. 

They certainly were very special peregrines and we will miss them.  Hopefully, this year will see Ossie and Lily raise some healthy chicks and they all fledge successfully. 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #305 on: March 21, 2015, 13:54 »
Thank you Alison, Madame X and Surge were very special peregrine falcons indeed.

Another daughter of Madame X's and Surge, Pigott, is the resident female in Syracuse.

Madame X and Surge were, and are, very special to me too. Do you know if there have been any sightings of Madame X?

I had fully intended to include Pigott in my partial list of Madame X and Surge's offspring. In fact, I had been watching her at her new nest, and then I forgot to add her.  :-[

And of course there are all the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. For instance, Gleig in Buffalo's daughter, Alfrieda, raised chicks of her own last year. Durand in Columbus has raised four chicks so far (and she laid her first egg of this year yesterday). When Peter was very young and in his first year at the Hearn Plant, he raised three chicks on his own after his mate was injured and taken to rehab. Pigott raised her first two chicks last year.

Offline gran2496

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #304 on: March 19, 2015, 13:48 »
Thank you Alison, Madame X and Surge were very special peregrine falcons indeed.

Another daughter of Madame X's and Surge, Pigott, is the resident female in Syracuse.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #303 on: March 19, 2015, 00:50 »

The new female, from the Grand Haven nest, is banded black/green *P/*E, but the bands were put on the bird upside down. Also, the bands were entered incorrectly in the database as P/E.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #302 on: March 19, 2015, 00:40 »
It is so sad that both of these iconic peregrines are now gone from the nest. Together, they successfully raised many chicks, and it is a tribute to their parenting skills that so many of their chicks have gone on to have nests of their own. To mention only a few: Durand, the resident female in Columbus, Ohio; her sister from the same clutch, Gleig, the resident female at the Central Terminal in Buffalo; Peter, the resident male at the Hearn Power Plant; his brother Joseph, from the same clutch, with his own nest in Beachville, Ontario; and Felker, who last year raised chicks in Buffalo with BB, the former female at the University of Buffalo.

Surge was an exceptional tiercel — an excellent provider, great father and loyal and supportive mate. I hope that Madame X is okay, wherever she is. I hope that people have been looking for her in case she is injured and needs help. She is a very great falcon, sixteen years old this year, a wonderful mother to all her chicks and loyal mate to Surge.

Madame X and Surge are both very much missed at the nest.

Offline gran2496

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #301 on: March 17, 2015, 14:07 »
We're thinking there must have been a territorial fight.  Madame X was on the nest ledge sometime on Friday with blood on her face and beak and she was holding her left foot in an unusual way.  She hasn't been seen since, but we're hoping she has just left the area and accepted that the new female is on site now.

The new female has been indentified as Lily, hatched in Michigan in 2010.  Madame X and Surge were our resident falcons for so long, they are really going to be missed.  Somehow it seems fitting though, since we lost Surge (I'm thinking as a result of a fight between him and Ossie) that Madame X would be finished as our resident female.  Surge and Madame X were a pair for 8 years and fledged 22 chicks during that time so their legacy lives on.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #300 on: March 17, 2015, 09:39 »
Aww! Poor Madame X! I wonder if there was a territorial fight? :(

Offline gran2496

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #299 on: March 15, 2015, 16:53 »
Well we've had quite a bit of drama at the Hamilton nest this year.  We have a new male, Ossie and now, Madame X has disappeared and there's a new female in town, yet to be identified.  Madame X hasn't been seen since Friday when the new female showed up on the nest ledge.  We have an idea where she's from, but it's not official yet but she does seem to be an American girl. 

Offline gran2496

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #298 on: March 12, 2015, 17:36 »
Our new male has been identified as Ossie, hatched at the William Osler Hospital in Etobicoke in 2012.  His parents were Hurricane Chessie.  Madame X is allowing him near the nest ledge, so it looks like he might be accepted.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #297 on: March 07, 2015, 13:36 »
Yes, thank you gemcity, for the article.  It was both sad and funny at the same time.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #296 on: March 06, 2015, 22:38 »
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5462692-another-good-bird-broken-by-a-faithless-mate/

A relative from Hamilton sent this article from their paper. So very sad.  :( :'(

What a lovely, well written article, honouring Surge's life. Thanks for sharing the link, gemcity.

Offline gran2496

• Phanatic
  • Hatchling
« Reply #295 on: March 06, 2015, 20:55 »
There is another male in the area, so far he hasn't been identified.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #294 on: March 06, 2015, 15:07 »
http://www.thespec.com/news-story/5462692-another-good-bird-broken-by-a-faithless-mate/

A relative from Hamilton sent this article from their paper. So very sad.  :( :'(