Author Topic: MD / Baltimore - 2015-22  (Read 9515 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: MD / Baltimore - 2015-21
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2015, 01:41 »
Boh arrived with a small amount of food. Big chick in front immediately grabbed the food and retreated to the corner. Boh found a scrap of food and fed that to the chick on the left. The littlest chick was left scrounging for leftovers.

Having demolished the food, big chick takes the pitiful little bit of leftovers from the smallest chick, who gets nothing.

Good peregrine parents will normally take back the food when one chick grabs it, and beak feed the chicks so that each has a share.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2015, 09:36 »
If there is a lump, other than the crop of course, it might be difficult to see now that the chicks have their second coat of downy feathers - might have been more obvious when they were much smaller and had fewer feathers.

But I must say they look pretty normal to me too but they aren't really close to the camera so that is just my impression.  Will be interesting to see what they say after banding ...

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2015, 18:31 »
There appears to be some concern about one of the chicks having a lump of some sort on its neck. At banding, CC will learn if there is reason to be concerned.

Did this person provide any photos, or any more information? Can't tell what they might have been seeing, but sometimes people who are not really familiar with peregrines think the crop is a "lump" . . .

Checked the site a little while ago; this is the best I have seen the chicks look so far. Usually when I check the site, the chicks are alone, and look scrawny, neglected and malnourished. I hardly ever see either faux Barb or Boh. I hope things are starting to turn around.

I read that also and I couldn't see anything unusual about the chicks. They look like normal chicks for their age.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2015, 16:47 »
There appears to be some concern about one of the chicks having a lump of some sort on its neck. At banding, CC will learn if there is reason to be concerned.

Did this person provide any photos, or any more information? Can't tell what they might have been seeing, but sometimes people who are not really familiar with peregrines think the crop is a "lump" . . .

Checked the site a little while ago; this is the best I have seen the chicks look so far. Usually when I check the site, the chicks are alone, and look scrawny, neglected and malnourished. I hardly ever see either faux Barb or Boh. I hope things are starting to turn around.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2015, 08:14 »
There appears to be some concern about one of the chicks having a lump of some sort on its neck. At banding, CC will learn if there is reason to be concerned. Their FB post......

"Falcon chicks: 1 - the one that moves the most, probably the 1st one hatched... awfully close to the edge... yikes. 2 - another has a big bump on it's neck & keeps pecking at it like it's preening. Chesapeake Conservancy - is this something that might just go away or is this a big problem?

Chesapeake Conservancy: Hi Connie, we have not seen the bump you mentioned but the falcon chicks will be banded soon and the biologist will check each chick for health during his visit. We are not sure if this should be something of concern".

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2015, 19:19 »
I watched a feed this evening and she has seemed to get it now. She fed them until they were in a food coma.  :)

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2015, 18:07 »
Mum just came back and got most of them settled and some of them under her.
She is sending daggers out to Brooklyn to bring food.
Poor guy.
She definitely has "the look"

Offline bccs

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2015, 18:02 »
Bahaha, these kids will not shut up.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2015, 16:44 »
Another video of these falcons. This one is from CBS Baltimore. You will see how inexperienced Barb was with the first hatchling.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/05/20/peregrine-falcon-eggs-hatch-atop-transamerica-building/

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2015, 07:29 »
 ;D Just received this post (Facebook) from Chesapeake Conservancy. They have confirmed the 3rd egg did indeed hatch. This will be a fun site to watch as it is in full view of the cam and the background is not bad either.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2015, 06:09 »
I just had a look at this site and saw the end of a feeding. There were two little "bobbleheads". I didn't see the 3rd egg, but it could have been hidden. Will check later.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2015, 06:10 »
According to some posters, there are now 2 chicks. It is very foggy in Baltimore and according to some, they had a severe storm last night. Not something you want to hear about when this first time mom had difficulties yesterday "learning" what that little flailing thing was. At times she was seen dragging it around the nest before maternal instincts kicked in.  :o
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 08:05 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2015, 14:09 »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2015, 13:17 »
I believe Barb is a first time Mom. She has yet to corral the chick with the eggs. She is shuggling over the eggs, not so much the chick. ??? I believe she could take a lesson from Princess. From Winnipeg to Baltimore, it could take 8 hours for Princess to fly in as a nanny, give instructions and 8 hours back to Winnipeg.   ???
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 14:05 by gemcitygemini »