Author Topic: MD / Baltimore - 2015-22  (Read 9525 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: MD / Baltimore - 2015-21
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 07:19 »
 ;D ;D This incredible site finally has its first egg. I think it was just laid. Happy! Happy! Happy!

http://www.chesapeakeconservancy.org/peregrine-falcon-webcam 

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2015, 17:50 »
Princess got into an almighty fight last year and she was really messed up as well and it never even slowed her down.  Birds are designed to live or die fast and become food for something else.  Peregrines are tough as we all know and if she managed to fly away she may just need time to recoup or she'll become weakened enough someone will be able to catch up with her.  If she can fly she will be smart and tuck herself out of danger and wait it out - if she isn't expending a lot of energy she can go without food for a couple of days.  Since she was the resident female, she should know where there are food caches so she may not have to hunt if she can access the food.  And the male may still want to feed her so even if she is too mobile to catch, she could still be fine - maybe not fast enough to recapture her territory, but enough to survive and return the next year.  Or of course, she was too injured right from the start in which case, a quick quiet death in the wild may not be the worse thing to happen - not all birds handle being taken into care well.  But then, lots do and come back bigger and badder than ever. 

Please do let us know if you hear anything ...

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 17:18 »
http://www.chesapeakeconservancy.org/images/falcon_factsheet_final.pdf

Alison, there is contact info in this link. You may be able to share your findings/photos on this link.

They have now been notified; apparently they did not even realize that the female on their brand new webcam had been injured, never mind displaced.  >:(

With this being a long weekend, what are the chances that anyone will actually go to look for Barb?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 17:12 »
What I saw was this new falcon. I can now see it was not the injured bird in your posted photos. She was in the left front area of the nest. Standing still, facing the camera. At times she appeared to puff up and tail would slowly move up and down. This went on for about five minutes or more, then she hopped onto the ledge, eventually she was gone for a short time. I have never seen an egg being laid so I googled for a video. what I see in this video was similar. IDK  ::)

I did not see what you saw today, gemcitygemini, but it sounds like courtship behavior to me.  I expect that the male was just off camera, and that she and the male were perhaps e-chupping and bowing to each other.

The video you posted is from the Maine nest, 2009. I remember it very well.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 16:23 »
http://www.chesapeakeconservancy.org/images/falcon_factsheet_final.pdf

Alison, there is contact info in this link. You may be able to share your findings/photos on this link.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 16:00 »
What I saw was this new falcon. I can now see it was not the injured bird in your posted photos. She was in the left front area of the nest. Standing still, facing the camera. At times she appeared to puff up and tail would slowly move up and down. This went on for about five minutes or more, then she hopped onto the ledge, eventually she was gone for a short time. I have never seen an egg being laid so I googled for a video. what I see in this video was similar. IDK  ::)

http://www.socialnightlife.com/index.php?pg=searchvideo&v=RMk5-GMaGgQ

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 14:57 »
There appears to be something today within the nest. At first, I thought an egg might be imminent, judging by the movements. Not this time. Back in the nest. Hope we will see some eggs soon. This site is impressive with the Chesapeake Bay in the background. Your help is needed is needed, Alison.  :)

Please see what I just posted, gemcitygemini.

What was it that you saw at the nest today?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 15:00 by Alison »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 14:56 »
Thanks for posting these photos Alison. It does look as though she was on the losing end of a battle.  :P  If she looks this bad and has returned to the nest, I wonder what has happened to her opponent. Are you able to locate a blog anywhere on this link?

I have not seen a blog on this site, gemcitygemini. What I posted were simply my own observations and a few of the photos of Barb after she was injured.

But today, there is not good news. When I was watching the site, I noticed immediately that there was a new female in the nest. Barb has been replaced.  :(  :(

I would think that this female is probably the one with whom Barb battled almost a week ago. I think the same intruder probably returned, and continued the battle. But with her injuries, I am not sure Barb would have been able to fight. I hope she is not injured somewhere and needing help. I don't see any contact information on the site to report this.

The new female is banded red/silver on the right leg, and black/green on the right.

Here she is with the male:

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 14:59 by Alison »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 14:52 »
There appears to be something today within the nest. At first, I thought an egg might be imminent, judging by the movements. Not this time. Back in the nest. Hope we will see some eggs soon. This site is impressive with the Chesapeake Bay in the background. Your help is needed is needed, Alison.  :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 14:54 by gemcitygemini »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 04:14 »
Thanks for posting these photos Alison. It does look as though she was on the losing end of a battle.  :P  If she looks this bad and has returned to the nest, I wonder what has happened to her opponent. Are you able to locate a blog anywhere on this link?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 22:06 »
March 30

You can see the difference between Boh and Barb. He looks bright and alert, while she does not look good.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 22:10 by Alison »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 22:04 »
What are they waiting for?  ::)

I think there is a reason for this. I believe that Barb was injured several days ago in a territorial battle. She returned to the nest in a dishevelled state and with blood on her front. The blood was not superficial; it was deep in her feathers. Her right eye looks swollen. Since then, she has been spending long periods of time immobile, and when she does move, she moves very slowly as if she is in pain. I hope she is going to be all right, but she does not look good to me.

March 27

March 29

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 16:26 »
Still nothing. However, both at nestsite and it looks like a serious scrape in upper left corner.  ???

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 05:37 »
What are they waiting for?  ::)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 04:52 »
This area was one of the ones hit hard during the winter. Last week, I did see one starting a scrape so I think soon we will see some eggs.