Author Topic: MD / Baltimore - 2015-22  (Read 9520 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: MD / Baltimore - 2015-21
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2016, 08:35 »
There are now two eggs at this nest. This photo was posted on Facebook.

(modified to add command to display photo - TPC)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2016, 11:05 »
2016 NESTING SEASON

Boh and Barb are once again the resident pair. Today Barb laid her first egg. Boh showed up just as the egg was laid and joined Barb. A video was posted on their Facebook site.

http://chesapeakeconservancy.org/peregrine-falcon-webcam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFMaSiy1dXQ

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2015, 14:24 »
Mom and Dad periodically return to the nest as does Princess and Smiley at the Radisson. I just saw one and am reposting the link to the site.

http://www.chesapeakeconservancy.org/peregrine-falcon-webcam

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2015, 05:45 »
All chicks have fledged. Barb is sitting on the ledge preening. Hope to be able to view Boh and Barb until migration.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2015, 10:15 »
I was watching this nest, saw only one at the time and posted to their FB link. Chesapeake Conservancy responded to my post.  :'(

I can only see one falcon and he/she appears to be doing a lot of wingersicing. Fledge time would appear to closing in on this nest. frown emoticon

Chesapeake Conservancy Yes, the falcons are about 5 weeks old now so they are quickly approaching fledge time!

Like · Reply · 2 mins

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2015, 07:31 »
For those who are thinking the name Cade sounds familiar our West Winnipeg female Beatrix has a brother named Cade.  Yup named after the same person.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2015, 05:53 »
Great choices for names. What is also interesting is Craig Koppie is the person who retrieved the non viable eggs and placed the foster chicks in the nest. I, for one have never watch osprey before, but now I have two to view and of course, Dennis' incredible photos from Gimli.  ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2015, 20:26 »
The three chicks have now received their names.

The two girls have been named Cade and Koppie, and the little male has been named Burnham ("Burnsie").

They have been named for the following influential people:

• Tom Cade, Ph. D., founding chairman and director of The Peregrine Fund.

• Craig Koppie, raptor biologist with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Chesapeake Bay Field Office, who has devoted his career to these majestic birds, once nearly eradicated. He is also responsible for arranging medical attention for the male eyas, now named Koppie, as well as banding and studying the falcons at this site for many years.

• William A. Burnham, former president of The Peregrine Fund. He served with the organization from 1974 through his death in 2006.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2015, 14:53 »
Since banding there is a better camera view at this nest. I just watched a chick walk up to its sibling and walk away with a food drop.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2015, 16:57 »
My thanks again to you, RCF. We can now watch as they get close to fledging as a family.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2015, 09:12 »
Chesapeake Conservancy

**Welcome home brother falcon! Returned to the nest on June 13, 2015. During the banding process on June 11, 2015, Craig Koppie, raptor biologist with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Chesapeake Bay Field Office, determined that the male falcon was dehydrated or had the bird version of a chest cold. The falcon was taken to Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research, Inc.  for medical attention. He was given fluids, and all tests indicated he is now in good health. He has returned to the 33rd floor.

Video of return by Skygirlblue

https://youtu.be/n1wBX25jpNw

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2015, 13:59 »
That's great news, RCF. Thanks for posting this update. I am doing the "Happy" dance. Well, I'm thinking about it!

;D  ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2015, 12:22 »
That's great news, RCF. Thanks for posting this update. I am doing the "Happy" dance. Well, I'm thinking about it!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2015, 11:39 »
Chesapeake Conservancy FB page

Great news! We're just been informed by Craig Koppie, raptor biologist with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Chesapeake Bay Field Office, that baby boy eyas is good to go back to his family!

According Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research, Inc. all tests indicated he is in good health. They gave him extra fluids to give him a jump-start.

Details are being worked out now to get him back to the 33rd floor of the Transamerica Building as soon as possible. Stay tuned!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2015, 11:38 »
Chesapeake Conservancy FB page

https://www.facebook.com/ChesapeakeConservancy?fref=nf

News from the falcon nest! Mr. Craig Koppie, a raptor biologist with the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service Chesapeake Bay Field Office, completed banding the chicks this morning and updated us on the three eyases and their parents. According to Mr. Koppie, two of the eyases are female, and are healthy and robust. The third eyas is male, and is exhibiting symptoms that point to either dehydration or the bird equivalent of a chest cold. He informed us that he is in route to Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research, Inc. in Newark, DE, where they will check out the young male falcon. Our fingers are crossed that the male eyas will make a full and fast recovery! In addition, Mr. Koppie was kind enough to clean the nest and the windows, and has reported that the birds are happily feeding on a variety of shorebirds and pigeons. Thank you Mr. Koppie!

From Baltimore Sun
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/weather/weather-blog/bs-md-falcons-banded-20150611-story.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 11:44 by RCF »