Author Topic: AZ / Phoenix - 2016-17  (Read 10594 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: AZ / Phoenix - 2016-17
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2016, 14:38 »
Updates keep coming from AZGFD - now there is a video of the chick.

https://www.facebook.com/azgafd/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2016, 12:54 »
Link to AZGFD again with same update, also pic alone that can be enlarged though still not very clear.

https://www.facebook.com/azgafd

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 14:28 by burdi »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2016, 12:12 »
Update from Arizona Game and Fish, with photo.

Facebook post & photo

Offline mspeach

• Hatchling
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2016, 23:36 »
Have not been able to get to the computer today until now.   I volunteer at Liberty Wildlife along with people who work for Az. Fish and Game Dept., so this morning I had one of them call to find out what was going on.  The reply was bands on the baby and more gravel.   That's all I know, but looks like you guys know more than I do.
Hope it all works out for the little guy. 

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2016, 18:40 »
Great news! Thanks for all the updates burdi!  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2016, 18:03 »

Lately, while trying to tend to other things this poor little chick has remained on my mind. It's such a relief to hear the chick was examined and treated, and that no other serious issues were found.

Thank you to RCF and all others for voicing their concerns, and thank you to Arizona Game and Fish Department for taking action. I'm hoping for a good outcome.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2016, 17:41 »
Thank you for the information regarding my question on gravel, TPC. It's very interesting, and I'm confident that falcons choosing to nest in Manitoba are in very good hands.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2016, 17:01 »
Another update from Arizona Game and Fish Department:

Monday 2:45pm: From Randy Babb, the head of our peregrine-cam team:
"The chick has been examined and is back in the box. It has no other issues except perhaps it needs a little better nutrition. The legs have been “splinted” to rectify the splay leg syndrome. A new substrate, brown AstroTurf, has been supplied. We will keep the video feed down for the next few days to monitor the situation. The chick will have some trouble adapting to the braces so it will fall over a lot for the next while. It should adjust to the leg restraints quickly and we can return the feed to viewers then."
We're guardedly optimistic and monitoring progress closely. More information when it becomes available!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2016, 16:07 »
Good news from the Arizona Game and Fish Department:

We've temporarily stopped the live camera feed from the peregrine nest in downtown Phoenix. We're consulting with international, national, and local peregrine experts on the health of the chick, and assessing its condition to determine an appropriate course of action. We hope that ultimately the chick can remain with the parents to be raised as a wild bird, and we’ll know more after examination later today. We will continue to give you information as it becomes available.

https://www.facebook.com/azgafd/

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2016, 12:55 »
Well, the cam is down at the moment, hopefully they are going to intervene. The poor chick is bug infested and he was having difficulty trying to get food from the parent. There were a lot of people voicing their concerns about the situation. I was one of them!  Not sure if they turned off the cam so they could curb the complaints or they are doing something for the chick. I hope for the later.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2016, 10:32 »
TPC - You mentioned earlier that Smiley "had a nice bowl shape impression about 1-2 inches deep and the right circumference and nice slope on the walls", but how many inches of gravel do you find works the best for their nest boxes? Also what about the tupper nests - do they get the same depth of gravel? 

We use about the same amount - 4+ inches depending on the type of box - want to be able to keep the chicks up out of a couple of inches of water (not necessarily a huge concern in Phoenix but never say never).  We add more perhaps than other locations because the gravel freezes in the winter and with a bit more (we use about 6 at the Radisson & WW) then the top has thawed by the time the males get home and want to start scraping.  Don't want them heading off to other places just because the gravel in the box is still frozen.  That too may not be an issue in Phoenix.  We also rake/turn over our gravel in the fall to make sure anything in the gravel (and yes, everything ends up in the gravel) gets frozen hopefully to death before the birds return in the spring.  We change the gravel every 4-5 years depending on how messy the pair are.

The Arizona folks could add gravel at any time, it isn't difficult.  Pick up chick, add gravel, make bowl shape depression in gravel, place chick in bowl shape depression and back away from the nest.  I'm being a bit facetious, but only in I don't know what the state's rules are about "visiting" nestboxes and how accessible is accessible - gravel is heavy and if there is any climbing involved it exponentially increases the time involved.  If the site were like at the Radisson, it would be a 90 second job.  If it were like McKenzie Seeds, a 20 minute job.  In terms of the process however, it is easy and I have slipped gravel and nestboxes under eggs and under newly hatched chicks with nary a problem other than really pissed-off parents but plan it/do it right and you can be in and out very quickly.

Having said all that, the chick is going to be sitting on his rump by next week and starting to scoot around so it may be that they are just adding "more gravel" to their pre-nesting season to-do list for next year. 

CHIRP  ;)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2016, 03:00 »
;) CHIRP  ;D

;D Actually TPC, I really ... well, it just seemed to work! :D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 02:51 »
TPC - You mentioned earlier that Smiley "had a nice bowl shape impression about 1-2 inches deep and the right circumference and nice slope on the walls", but how many inches of gravel do you find works the best for their nest boxes? Also what about the tupper nests - do they get the same depth of gravel?

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 02:43 »
I checked the cam and chick was sleeping but legs appeared less splayed while resting on a few more stones. Perhaps since chick has been moving around the nest more the stones are being shuffled all around the floor. Baby was much worse during feedings in the daytime, as you can see in the video by RCF.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2016, 22:29 »
RCF, I totally agree with your description that the chick looks like it is "swimming on the floor of the box". I mentioned that I’d like to see more gravel in this box and cannot understand why someone who oversees this site has not attempted to correct the problem by now. They must be watching - so it doesn’t look hopeful that they will.

The problem might not be noticed if watching briefly, but if you look at the size of the egg (which is about 2 x 1.6 - 1.9 inches, I read), and compare the egg to the open floor area of their scrape (which is usually about 2 x 9 inches), then also consider that only a few pieces of pea gravel are usually seen on this open floor - and you might agree. I read that falcon nest boxes require an average of 4 - 6 inches of pea gravel, and from what I can see I have to wonder if there is even one full inch in that box. Adult falcons have long talons which should not be flat on the floor of their nest while sitting on eggs or chicks, and the chick really needs something to grip! The floor seems to appear extra slippery at times. I certainly hope it doesn’t actually have an extra smooth surface! (Maybe it just seems that way since the chick tries so hard to get itself up.) Otherwise, the new box looks great, and if this pair did have a successful clutch in the older box (as the article I posted mentions), then perhaps it was prepared in a better way. I’ve heard of falcons nesting successfully on rooftops or gutters, but maybe there was a little something more for a chick to grip - such as dirt and weeds, though I’m just guessing.

There have been quite a few flies in the nest as well, though flies are constantly attracted to these nests (and normally without problems). However I'm also aware of very serious problems that certain flies are able to cause in birds (and other animals). Some of these problems tend to occur if the animal is on the ground, fairly still, or happens to have an open wound (even if the wound is very small).

This particular site is accessible, but I imagine it's too late for gravel alone to help without treatment. Besides there might be another type of health condition causing the weakness, though so far chick is still vocal and eating well. Whatever the cause, I still feel the lack of gravel (on what appears to be a very slippery surface) has contributed to a noticeably uncomfortable and stressful situation for parents and chick.

Hopefully someone with more insight will add their opinion, as well. This little  chick is weakening further from so much struggling, I believe.  :'(