Author Topic: AZ / Phoenix - 2016-17  (Read 10600 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: AZ / Phoenix - 2016-17
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 23:18 »
Thanks for posting, RCF. I'm glad you were watching too. :D

Happy Mother's Day to this beautiful Mom!

She's probably hungry after refusing numerous offerings from Dad today. Hope she will rest well tonight ... and eat well tomorrow.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 21:39 »

Video just after hatch, mom eating eggshell.

https://youtu.be/dEj92voXPSA

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 21:28 »
Poor little chick was likely exhausted from such a long struggle!

I'm so happy for this pair. :D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 21:14 »
Chick hatched and eggshell is being eaten, but I can't clearly see if chick is ok. I'm hearing lots of healthy little peeps though! ;D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 20:17 »
I've been watching this cam on and off for a couple days and there's definitely been a lot of peeping.  

One chick appears to be struggling to get out of its shell right now.

Offline mspeach

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 23:03 »
Could only see 2 eggs tonight.   She keeps looking at the eggs.....they must be making noises!!

Offline mspeach

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 21:35 »
Last week it looked like one of the eggs was crushed. :'(

Offline mspeach

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 20:53 »
Thanks so much for your reply, TPC !!!!   Helped me understand more about our peregrine "stars" here in Phoenix, and stop being such a worry wart.  I heard we have many nest sites in Arizona, especially around the Grand Canyon.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 14:16 »
Just about every time I check on this nest there is an egg on the side.   This morning there are two!   The temperature here is 61 degrees F.
I wonder if more gravel or larger rocks in the box would help as the scrape seems to be down to the floor of the box.

The eggs are probably fine - and probably not the same egg each time.  When I had a look just now, it looked like it has been raining and though I don't watch this site much, it seems like Mom is on the eggs and everyone is tucked up nice and safe.  I'm willing to hazard a guess and say it is Dad who is having trouble keeping the kids under control - they are smaller and 4 eggs is alot of real estate to keep covered if you are a male.  A bit of time uncovered - up to 1/2 hour if the temperatures are favourable doesn't seem to cause a problem in our experience here - Madame used to get off all the time and leave her eggs uncovered.  Don't know the layout of the box, but it could be warmer in there than the ambient temperature recorded - sun shining on the box isn't really cooler, just shadier. 

As for more gravel - lots of birds don't like deep gravel - its like walking in soft sand which is not what the peregrines are looking for - and more gravel doesn't a better scrape make.  For the last 2 years, Smiley has sucked at making scrapes at the Radisson, he had good form but his scrapes did not.  This year, he had a nice bowl shape impression about 1-2 inches deep and the right circumference and nice slope on the walls.  Fits an adult peregrine just perfectly but holds the eggs safe from rolling around/away.  As for bigger rocks - do you mean bigger gravel?  If that is what you mean, then no, the size gravel they have there is perfect - bigger means harder to move and potentially more dangerous for fragile eggs - and has to be more uncomfortable for adults and chicks.  The scrape also won't stay where it is right now, as the eggs are incubated and even a bit after the chicks hatch the scrape will migrate somewhat as the adults tuck in under the eggs/chicks and with changes in weather or whatever.  Bigger gravel would be a problem for this.

Your last comment was about that the scrape seemed to be on the floor of the box - it is a different box design where there is a box up front for the adults and chicks to use but which operates like a barricade for the chicks when they are young.  It also allows for the box to be bigger - often boxes have to be higher to give the birds access over a lip or retaining wall on a building - this design lets them get more room inside by dropping the inside floor.  It also helps provide the birds with more shade which at some sites is more of an issue than at others and much much more protection from rain/snow.  We have a design like this for the nestbox on the roof at McKenzie Seeds.  The nestbox at West Wpg is a variation on the same theme with the bottom of the box being almost the height of a peregrine below the edge of the building.  The low ledge we have around the edge of the box allows the chicks to get up and look around when they are old enough so they can get used to the higher winds in this area.  If they were to go straight from the bottom of the box to the roof edge, we'd have more chicks fledging prematurely at this site.  As it is, the chicks can now get up on that ledge after banding age and then they tend to go down the ramp onto the roof for a couple/three weeks then they start visiting the roof edge regularly and then they are off.

Offline mspeach

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 11:14 »
Just about every time I check on this nest there is an egg on the side.   This morning there are two!   The temperature here is 61 degrees F.
I wonder if more gravel or larger rocks in the box would help as the scrape seems to be down to the floor of the box.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 18:31 »

Depends on the ambient temperature whether that's a problem.  Would be a problem here now, but it is 35C/95F in Phoenix, so it shouldn't be a problem for them unless it is for an extended period of time.  We used to have birds that left eggs uncovered in the afternoon heat quite regularly when the weather was very warm and no harm ever came of it.

Good to know. I have been noticing the occasional escaping egg too. Usually, it is not too long before the egg is tucked back under.

An egg check shortly before daylight this morning. The eggs were covered again almost immediately, but one escaped.

All eggs covered; much later in the day, another escapee.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 17:02 »
There are now 4 eggs being brooded by the mister and missus in downtown Phoenix.
My concern is usually one of the eggs squirts out from underneath the parent when they are settling down and is not being kept warm enough.   Hopefully all is well.

Depends on the ambient temperature whether that's a problem.  Would be a problem here now, but it is 35C/95F in Phoenix, so it shouldn't be a problem for them unless it is for an extended period of time.  We used to have birds that left eggs uncovered in the afternoon heat quite regularly when the weather was very warm and no harm ever came of it.

Offline mspeach

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 14:38 »
There are now 4 eggs being brooded by the mister and missus in downtown Phoenix.
My concern is usually one of the eggs squirts out from underneath the parent when they are settling down and is not being kept warm enough.   Hopefully all is well.

Offline mspeach

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 19:09 »
 Two eggs as of yesterday.   Both parents are taking turns on the eggs.   Nest is on the 10th or 11th floor of the building.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:24 »
Egg #1 has arrived