Author Topic: IN / Indianapolis - Market Tower - 2009-17  (Read 5209 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: IN / Indianapolis - Market Tower - 2009-17
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 20:23 »
I just love your photos of Kinney, Alison, especially the middle photo! :D

Thank you, Kinderchick! I wish I had a pic of the newly hatched chick, but apparently the cams were down. Many congratulations to Kinney and Kathy Q on their new chick.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 19:58 »
I just love your photos of Kinney, Alison, especially the middle photo! :D

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 12:09 »
First hatch here!   :-* ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 19:03 »
Kinney is a remarkable tiercel. From Laura James-Reim's blog:

So what is Kinney's status now? As to eggs that is. Many of you long time falcon followers probably have already jumped all over that answer! I tout it year after year after year. But it is an amazing record and he is the most prolific tracked tiercel in the Midwest with data recorded by the Midwest Peregrine Society. I believe that database covers at least 13 states and some parts of Canada.

So, for all you newbies or falconheads whose memory isn't what it used to be, the total number of eggs produced by Kinney (with two mates) is 58! In order for him to hold onto that 58 number and for it to be entered in the database, all of those eggs will have to hatch and the chicks survive until fledging. Regardless, he still holds the record and the closest male in total numbers is deceased.

Meantime, incubation continues:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 21:58 »
Kinney and Kathy Q now have four eggs, laid on March 13, March 15, March 18 and March 20. The falcons were not willing to provide a good look at the eggs today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 22:41 »
Yay!  I always love to see the older falcons/tiercels perservere!  He and Sir James both have that same shape...they are heartshaped from the back.  Really beautiful tiercels they both are and long may they reign :-* 

I totally agree, Carly! I'm so far behind with all the sites . . . Kathy Q and Kinney already have two eggs! They are such a great pair.

Last year, when Kathy Q was attempting to lay her fourth egg, Kinney stayed in the nest box with her all night, and she obviously wanted him to be there. She would strain to lay the egg, then settle again and sleep for a while. Kinney watched over her, and even when she was asleep, he never once forgot to bow to her. I think it is quite unusual for the male to stay in the nest when the female is laying eggs. She didn't lay that egg until the following morning.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 19:18 »
Yay!  I always love to see the older falcons/tiercels perservere!  He and Sir James both have that same shape...they are heartshaped from the back.  Really beautiful tiercels they both are and long may they reign :-*

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 18:44 »
From Laura James-Reim:

... What we do know is that both Ks are back. And this is probably NOT the last time you will hear this from me - Kinney will turn 17 years old this May - 17!!!!!! That is old for a peregrine and it is remarkable he has continued to be the only resident male at this site. I can't equate bird years to human years but I've read that the average life span of a wild peregrine is 10-12 years. We cannot know how many times he may have been challenged for his territory but I believe he has probably defended against several potential would-be suitors. Again, he will be 17 years old ... 17! Remarkable!

I think this is Kinney on the ledge today:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 20:14 »
2010 NESTING SEASON

Richard Kinnett definitely identified Kinney as the male at the nest on January 14. Kinney, a hacked bird from Lexington, Kentucky in 1993, will be seventeen this year. Originally named Lex, he was renamed for Richard Kinnett and for Kentucky.

Laura James-Reim uploaded a few photos of both birds to Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/19275069@N03/

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 21:46 »
Oh wow...he's a beauty!!!!
Sixteen and Eleven!!!!  Amazing, what a pair!

I wonder what the family tree is like for these two?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 19:47 »
Someone on the ledge late this afternoon. Can't really see the bands, but it looks like Kathy Q to me.

Kinney, the male, is already sixteen years old. He is the most productive peregrine in the midwest. Kathy Q is already eleven. These two are extremely bonded.

Offline Pchemist

• Past Member
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 10:38 »
clever to put a sign asking for donations there!  and that last photo makes it really clear why this is a good site for them.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
IN / Indianapolis - Market Tower - 2009-17
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 21:33 »
2009 NESTING SEASON

The falcons here are Kathy Q and Kinney. Kinney, band number 7/*3, is a hacked bird originally from Lexington, Kentucky, born in 1993. He was named for Richard Kinnett, a major falcon supporter in Indy, and Kentucky.

Kathy Q's real name is Chantal. She was born in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, in 1998. Her band is *B/*C, black over red. When she showed up in Indianapolis, it was not known who she was, so she was named for a supporter of the falcons who had passed away suddenly.

This year Kinney and Kathy Q had four chicks:

Kinka - Female, band *V/*X, black over green. The name is a combination of Kinney and Kathy Q.
K.B. - Female, band *W/*A, black over green. This chick was named for Kevin Branch of Market Tower building management.
IndyFroona - Female, band *V/*Y, black over green. This chick was named for Froona, with the addition of a touch of Indiana.
Sully - Male, band *S/*E, black over red. He was named for Chesley Sullenberger, the pilot who landed his airplane safely in the Hudson River.

K.B. disappeared early on, and has not been seen again. The other three continued to do well.

This is Kinney at the nest today. His band was originally black over red, but it is now worn and looks like black over silver:

http://blogs.indystar.com/falconblog/