Author Topic: KS / Topeka - Westar - 2019-20  (Read 13752 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Kansas / Topeka - Westar - 2011 / Boreas & Nemaha
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2011, 20:09 »
Interesting that a chick from each nest was mis-identified as to gender. Something to do with the names?

Nope, their size (and/or the size of their feet) at banding age  ;)
Boreas was the biggest of the bunch - feet were male, but was the biggest so err on the size of caution.  
Good decision.

Offline sami

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2011, 18:13 »
Interesting that a chick from each nest was mis-identified as to gender. Something to do with the names?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2011, 09:24 »
Just as another note, for those of you who remember the naming themes we've used at the Radisson.  2007 was the year that both Lincoln and the Radisson had similar names for their birds - they used the names of the wind gods - Boreas, Notus, Eurus and Zephyrus - and we used the names of winds - Hurricane, Chinook, Taku and Mistral.   Nice to see a bird back from each nest of these aptly named peregrine chicks!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2011, 09:21 »
This Topeka nest has a thing for brothers and sisters ....

Doorly and Hope were half-sibs, Nemaha and Boreas are full sibs.

Boreas (b/g R/03) from the 2007 nest and Nemaha (b/r 97/H) is from the 2009 nest at the State Capitol Building in Lincoln Nebraska.  The resident pair from 2005 to 2010 is 19/K (2001 Des Moines, Iowa) and our Alley from the 2004 Radisson hatch - she's from Trey & Princess' first nest together.  Hopefully 19/K and Alley will be back for another year this year, it would be their 7th year together.

Here's an image of Alley buzzing the front of the Capitol Building near the nestbox ...

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2011, 11:49 »
If he's 2nd from the left end, he's huge, and look at those giant feet!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2011, 09:27 »
Great sleuthing work, sgb! Congratulations on ID'ing "Boreas" from Lincoln, Nebraska! ;D

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
    • Bird Cams Around the World forum
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2011, 22:52 »
Oh glory be!!!  The mystery is solved!!!  I emailed Joel Jorgensen in Lincoln, Nebraska...sent him my pics, and asked him if, by any chance, R/03 belonged to that nest and had just been left out of the data base.  Here is his response:

"Yes!!  R/03 is indeed another one of ours and his name is “Boreas”.  We actually placed female bands on this bird.  It can be challenging to sex some chicks and we erred on the side of caution by placing the larger bands on him.  Luckily the name works for a male or a female.   I have pasted the 2007 press release below [I left this out] and also inserted a photo from the banding.  Boreas is one of the birds on the far left .  Perhaps he was the big one and that may be why we thought he was a female.  Not sure why this band was left out of the database, particularly because the others are included which indicates they were submitted. "

Now, I can start obsessing about something else!!!  

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2011, 00:28 »
I started looking at Nebraska birds.  Woodmen banded 3 females and 1 male in 2007...the females were R/00, 01, 02 and a male, B/61

Lincoln banded 4 in 2007:  R/04, R/05, R/06, (f) and I can't find the band number for  the 4th, the male.

(I was looking for a band pattern~I don't know what happened to the R sequence and why 03 was skipped...or like you said, it may never have been entered.  Maybe this bird was banded as a female, but really was a male..)

If I squint and turn the R into a distorted B, I come up with B/03, Zeus, a 2006 male banded at the Rhodes Tower (Columbus, Ohio) in 2006.  He was last observed in 2008 in Lorain, Ohio nesting on a bridge.  I may email the biologist in Columbus and see if she knows if he's been spotted this year..

I really need to get a life... :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 00:32 by skygirlblue »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2011, 23:43 »
Well, I give up...I can't find this bird...

Don't give up yet, some band numbers haven't been added into the database yet.  Band numbers go out in sequentially to banders and not all the band numbers have been posted to the database yet (not unusual).  Its still early and someone will recognize the band number or realize it was in their series and we'll get an id yet.  I'm inclined to think it maybe a Nebraska bird however ....

Going to go hunting a bit more ...  

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2011, 12:41 »
Well, I give up...I can't find this bird...

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2011, 10:26 »
No luck with band ID with this go round...the only thing I could really make out was what appears to be that R on top...could it be a strange A?

they were in the box together for a few minutes...then he left...they zoomed in on her..

He's just brought her a gift and she's eating in the box ... Mornings seem to be the prime time to catch them...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:51 by skygirlblue »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2011, 10:12 »
... I did find a Canadian bird with a R/00 black left band, but a silver right band...Hopefully next time I catch him in the box, "it" will hold its left leg to the cam...

How can you tell if it's a Canadian bird, sgb or TPC? ??? I don't know much, if anything, about banding. Is it the colour of the band and/or particular letters & numbers? :-\

Offline birdcamfan

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2011, 08:50 »
This thread makes "CSI" look lame!

Offline skygirlblue

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2011, 16:22 »
Wow! You are really good at getting great photos for ID purposes, sgb! 8)

In this case, I think its called luck...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2011, 13:08 »
good look...

I did find a Canadian bird with a R/00 black left band, but a silver right band...Hopefully next time I catch him in the box, "it" will hold its left leg to the cam...

Pretty cooperative the first time SGB, hopefully he/she will be accommodating  - think the bird knew you were watching him/her ...