Author Topic: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2018 / Xavier & Diamond  (Read 14569 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2018 / Xavier & Diamond
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2018, 12:40 »

YouTube feed interruptions

Published 19 December, 2018 | By Scott Banks

It has come to our attention that there are occasional current issues with the YouTube live camera feeds. I’ve received an email from one of our camera software providers who has noticed it as well. Apparently the problem lies inside YouTube. They’re apparently shutting off live feeds by accident! The software people are on to YouTube about it and hopefully there’ll be a solution soon. Lucky it’s a quiet time of the year for us (up the Concrete Hilton anyway). With much hotter days here now the falcons are more likely to hide away from the heat should still be active thereabouts. We’re lucky that the local subspecies isn’t a migratory type, so we can enjoy them all year round.

Thank you so much for all your updates, burdi!

Thank you also for the new link. I did try it, but it was not working. Now I know why.

I have continued to see a juvie return to the nest from time to time, and Diamond at the nest. I will not attempt to post photos, since all my photos are somehow being deleted.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2018, 01:59 »

YouTube feed interruptions

Published 19 December, 2018 | By Scott Banks

It has come to our attention that there are occasional current issues with the YouTube live camera feeds. I’ve received an email from one of our camera software providers who has noticed it as well. Apparently the problem lies inside YouTube. They’re apparently shutting off live feeds by accident! The software people are on to YouTube about it and hopefully there’ll be a solution soon. Lucky it’s a quiet time of the year for us (up the Concrete Hilton anyway). With much hotter days here now the falcons are more likely to hide away from the heat should still be active thereabouts. We’re lucky that the local subspecies isn’t a migratory type, so we can enjoy them all year round.

Christmas to everyone!!

Courtesy of FalconCam Project

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2018, 21:09 »
There’s a new link for the nest cam. Scott recently put the new link on YouTube but hasn't (so far) revised it on the CSU site.

For now, I’m using the following links:

Nest cam (new link) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MUZP3HZCEk

Ledge cam - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36y9R0LxFxY

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2018, 01:38 »
Diamond was sitting on the ledge for quite a long time today, then finally at 03:11:14 pm - her handsome Xavier arrived - she may have been waiting for him. After enjoying a very sweet dance, Xavier left the nest box at 03:13:53 pm. (Currently, it is still available to watch on rewind.)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2018, 01:21 »
Thank you to Cilla for another interesting update and a very nice photo of that beautiful male fairy-wren!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2018, 01:15 »

Wild weather and milestones

Published 14 December, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

We had a very wet week, which was a great relief for this district due to looming bushfire season.   There was 61 mm in my rain gauge over the four days, about a month’s worth.  Bad news for the cherry orchardists, who always seem to get rain or hail just before harvest.

Here is short video of the storm we had yesterday, which was really quite wild.  All four birds have been seen since, I hasten to add.

VIDEO OF STORM: https://youtu.be/Y7xl-oYrANM

and a nice one of Diamond arriving after the storm, wringing wet with punk hairdo.

VIDEO OF DIAMOND, AFTER STORM. https://youtu.be/8jjP3t6CDlY

Meanwhile the youngsters, whilst still honing their skills on cicadas, who are still deafening the campus with their high decibel (90-95) calls, appear to be finally moving onto vertebrate prey.  Here we see one of the juveniles (we think Budhin) with a small passerine, that I’ve so far failed to identify.   Of course, it is possible that this prey was handed (?) to Budhin by one of the parents, but I have a strong suspicion this was his own catch.

VIDEO OF JUVENILE WITH PREY: https://youtu.be/aWCSi35u-gY

There has been considerable discussion about which juvenile is which and I agree that it is pretty hard.   Although there is a clear difference in size between the youngsters when you see them together on a tree outside, when they come to the box (separately), the differences are not that apparent.   One is as big as Xavier (Budhin) and appears to have a slightly more ragged tail band, and one is slightly bigger (Gaama) with a smoother tail band.  Neither are as big as Diamond, however, making me a bit suspicious of whether we in fact have a female – they should be larger at this age.  Your comments are welcome!

Sorry I don’t have any stills.  I’ve either been without the 4Wd, or without my camera, or it was pouring with rain.   So here is a fairy-wren.  This was taken on the lawn just below the tower.  He’s fairly safe as they are tiny, but we do know falcons will take them for a snack!  the males are very territorial and faithful to their several wives.  The wives, on the hand, are little hussies, often sneaking off to mate with a more colourful neighbour, and then creeping back at dawn to their reliable, if duller, provider!

Superb fairy-wren, male

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2018, 13:52 »

Hot weekend

Published 10 December, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Orange sizzled over the weekend, with 30 C plus temperatures.  The birds are continuing to feast on the cicadas and I think that it’s pretty good training for them, although I’d like to think they are also chasing larger prey by now.

Here is Budhin chasing out Xavier, while clutching a little invertebrate treat:

Video: https://youtu.be/VCwJ5zgfL2c

And another, which I think is more likely to be Gaama.  Both juveniles are actually quite small and tricky to tell apart, although Gaama does appear to be a little bigger than Xavier.

Video: https://youtu.be/uVBP-6rfNcM 

But it’s not all about insects.   Here Xavier is bringing in a bird prey (unidentified at this stage, but quite small).   Diamond assumes it is for her, but, alas, our Xavier is back to his old tricks and takes off with it again.  To be fair, it’s probably a training tool for the juveniles and she’s perfectly capable of catching her own prey at this time of year!  Every night we see her come back to the box with a very full crop, so she’s not missing out.

Video: https://youtu.be/mYxOFkBH81E

Let’s hope the birds take care as there is rain forecast for the next few days, as well as thunderstorms daily.   This can make hunting dangerous, especially for inexperienced birds – and it might make it a bit harder for me to do updates, but I’ll do what I can.

Incidentally, I was sent an interesting article on how people who watch webcams react when nature takes a nasty turn eg through siblicide (when youngsters fight etc.).  It’s worth a read. I’ll add the link in a comment below, and it’s on the Google hangout.    We don’t really interfere on this site, but we’ve never really needed to.  The only action I’ve needed to take was to collect birds that have ended up in appropriate places (eg car parks) after fledging as these are man-made obstacles.  I put them in a tree and the parents always find them again.    I did feel sorry for our old, lame female Swift a few years ago and slipped her a galah or two when she was at her weakest (she leapt on them with gusto), but that was an exceptional circumstance (perhaps!).    I never interfere with hatching problems.  I’m concerned the birds might abandon the nest.

I’ll leave you while I’m watching the sky darkening; could rain tonight I think.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2018, 15:06 »

Crispy snack time

Published 3 December, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Some of the peregrine juveniles, plus Dad have been helping themselves to the current explosion of cicadas on campus.   Easy pickings.   Here is Dad with his catch:

Both juveniles have been visiting the box over the weekend, mostly whilst in hot pursuit of a parent.  It is not known yet whether either has caught their own prey yet, although at least cicadas are a start.   But I would expect them to be hunting very soon.  Here the young male, Budhin is chasing Diamond.

On Saturday, we had the delightful sight of an Australian mapgie, flying down in a stoop, probably from the top of the water tower.   Perhaps he had been watching our peregrines!

And here is the original – Xavier, we think

Xavier is always  keen to start preparations for next year.  Little does he know that I will ruin all his good work when I clean the box in the New Year! 

Forecast is for fine all week – good think as we are all making hay this week.   I’ll be going down later this afternoon to see if I can catch the youngsters in their roost tree home.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2018, 16:49 »

Juveniles late afternoon

Published 27 November, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Some pictures from a trip around the campus yesterday afternoon:  Mostly Budhin (and Budhin’s rear end).  Where the two birds are in the tree together, Gaama is on top and Gaama is also in the bottom three pictures on branches.  You can see the water tower behind the trees to get an idea of the distance.   These trees are called yellow box, Eucalyptus melliodora and are probably 300 plus years and now dying.  They need replacement, but it may not be easy in this location.

Eucalyptus melliodora - tower in background

Gaama (upper branch) - Budhin (lower branch)

Juvenile on roof of tower

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2018, 15:58 »

Both juveniles visit the nest

Published 26 November, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Over the weekend and this morning, both juveniles have paid visits to the nest, as well as being sighted in and around their roost trees.  They are getting harder to photograph in the field as they have become more wary of my vehicle or person, but I have some from the box.

As you’ve probably gathered, I have a Youtube account now, so you can go back and check on previous videos if you cannot find them here or on the google hangout.

The juveniles are getting to be large and strong – and very cheeky.  I originally thought this was Budhin, but when I look at the image from the ledge, I think it’s actually Gamma. Anyway, this bird  is giving their mother, Diamond a hard time.

VIDEO https://youtu.be/eUJ8UxCn25k

And another view of this altercation: 

VIDEO: https://youtu.be/VosPtkPELaE

We had a visit from a juvenile starling.   A big rash, considering how often this species ends up as dinner.

VIDEO https://youtu.be/8K3epPNW3d4

Hello, anyone home? I think I’m lost!

I expect the youngsters to start spending a bit more time further from the nest and the roost trees, so it might be a bit harder for me to catch up with them, but I will do mybest. Last year, the male left the district after only 3 or 4 weeks (or at least I couldn’t find him), but the female stayed around until late January.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2018, 14:58 »
Xavier and Diamond were frequently dancing in the nest box when their chicks fledged, but now that the box is often occupied … there’s little opportunity.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2018, 14:44 »
I’m very happy that Cilla keeps checking on this family and sharing her great photos!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2018, 14:38 »

To and fro and mysterious light

Published 21 November, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

The youngsters have been flying backwards and forwards between the tower and roost trees and doing every widening circles over the campus and beyond.  I expect they will start making their own kills soon and start to become more independent.

they have been using the box a fair bit, even spending the night in the box.  Otherwise they can usually be found in the dead near in the paddock to the south of the campus.  The light was very poor when I took the photos as rain was approaching ( and we even got some, about 8 mm last night, better than nothing).

Gaama on roost                                                         Xavier, on guard

We have also been seeing a mysterious light coming on in the trees, usually about 930 pm, 1 am and 4 am, but also at other times.  it seems to be on or near the entrance road behind the Girinyalanha Park, but it just comes on and goes off after half a minute.  No car comes or goes.  Much investigation and speculation has ensued and I even visited at night trying to see something (without success).  It’s not very clear on these images…  Will keep you posted.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2018, 15:22 »
As Diamond entered the nest box on Nov 18 - she was attacked by a juvie - but she was quickly able to settle things down.

Diamond then left her nest box and the juvenile got to stay! She’s such a good mom.

Video by TimR - https://youtu.be/qk-DC_3HBOI

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2018, 15:11 »
At least one of the fledglings has now made it back to the nest box, and is at the nest right now! Can't tell which one.

Yes, it was exciting to see juvie exploring every corner of the nest box!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2018, 14:29 »

Juvenile returns home

Published 18 November, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

One of the juveniles, Gaama (the female) I think, based on the size compared to the adults, who were doing a lovely dancing courtship just before she arrived.  Here are the links

Video, parents courting and juvenile arriving (ledge cam) https://youtu.be/KwVOhxUB4Pg

Video: parents courting and juvenile (nest cam) https://youtu.be/aAgIBzcbGYc

Video:  juvenile leaving https://youtu.be/XNKGsuOSZyA

And a couple from Friday night, while I was watching flight training

Diamond - on the left ... and (Cilla thinks) this is Budhin - on the right
How beautifully they posed for Cilla!

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday.  Let’s hope we get a few more visits!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2018, 17:16 »

I’ve been watching the chicks flying between the roost tree and the top of the tower every afternoon.  They are both flying really well and there is no reason why they shouldn’t visit the box.  But sometimes they don’t come back.  There doesn’t seem to be any reason why or why not.   Usually they come in looking for leftovers, but they might be so well fed, there is no need.

Thank you for posting the updates and pics, burdi! It's great to see the fledglings doing so well.

At least one of the fledglings has now made it back to the nest box, and is at the nest right now! Can't tell which one.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2018, 14:22 »

Nice sunset photo in this update.  :)

Flight training

Published 16 November, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

I’ve been watching the chicks flying between the roost tree and the top of the tower every afternoon.  They are both flying really well and there is no reason why they shouldn’t visit the box.  But sometimes they don’t come back.  There doesn’t seem to be any reason why or why not.   Usually they come in looking for leftovers, but they might be so well fed, there is no need.

These photos were from yesterday afternoon and evening.   Have a lovely weekend everyone.    Cilla

Diamond, landing

All four in tree at sunset

Click here to go directly to entire update which includes more photos by Cilla Kinross.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2018, 02:23 »

Decamped to roost tree

Published 12 November, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

The family spent a few days on the water tower – with no juveniles accessing the scrape – before moving holus bolus to the a small copse of trees in paddock just out of sight of the ledge cam – just up and to the left a bit.  They have used these trees for roosting and flight training in previous years, but usually they spend a few days or up to a week in the trees opposite the tower.   This year stage has almost been by-passed!

The photos show Budhin, Gaama, Gaama, Gaama in her tree, all three (left to right: Xavier, Budhin and Diamond) in the dead roost tree, Xavier, and three of Diamond (two in flight, not the greatest pictures, I’m afraid).

Gaama near roost tree

Budhin on branch of roost tree

Gaama in her tree

Xavier, Budhin and Diamond in dead roost tree

I think they will now spend a week or so between these trees and the tower, while building their flight skills.   The parents will hunt and then drop the prey to give the youngsters practice at catching prey in the air before starting to hunt themselves.  They don’t seem that interested in hunting yet.  I watched potential prey birds come and go at will from their roost tree yesterday (when these photos were taken).

This is quite a dangerous time for juveniles.   Collisions with power lines and trees are not unknown.  We had one youngster hit a tree while chasing prey and hurt her leg. This apparently healed itself according to a witness, although I still have my doubts about that…. They will also get more aggressive to humans (particularly me!).   They will also start to move further afield as their skills increase, but I think we will have the pleasure of their company for a while yet.  And they could still visit the nest box (they usually do), often chasing a parent with prey.   Our box is not a particularly easy target for landing, however (compared to the top of the tower, or a tree, for instance).

Here is a video of a changover of adults in the box very early this morning (Xavier arrives and leaves, Diamond arrives), followed by juveniles apparently chasing Xavier (you’ll have to look hard, as they are very small!).

I’ll be out and about most afternoons on foot with my camera to try and get some photos.  Diamond is not at all happy with this approach, so my visits have to be short for this reason.

I’ll update this site every couple of days or so, unless there is something dramatic.  The live youtube stream is still busy with chat and I’m updating the google hangout as well.

I haven’t included all of Cilla’s photos, but you can click here to go directly to this update.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2018, 20:13 »
Wonderful news!  Thanks for sharing that!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2018, 01:49 »

Wonderful news in this update from Cilla!

All four safe, high on the tower

Published 8 November, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

For the first time that I can remember, I have the whole family on the roof.   This was just half an hour ago.   Not much of a photo of the four of them, but does provide some evidence that we can say that the fledge was successful.  It takes quite a strong juvenile to fly all the way up to the top of the tower.

Four on the tower

Entire update with more photos by Cilla Kinross can be seen here

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2018, 01:34 »

How nice to see an update from Scott.  :)

A brief visitation to Orange campus library window

Published 7 November, 2018 | By Scott Banks

This morning one of the two fledglings mysteriously appeared at the window to the CSU Orange campus Learning Commons. Wary of people walking past but also quite tolerant, and no-one disturbed the personal space. It’s not often peregrines venture this close to humans! It’s a rainy day so it was a great spot under the eaves to stay dry, but has now flown off. An unidentified adult was watching from up on the soaking wet tower overhead but there was no cause for alarm. The lightning storm above Orange last night didn’t affect campus power, nor the peregrines.

Entire update by Scott Banks can be seen here

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2018, 14:14 »

Many thanks for the updates on these two very cute litte chicks, burdi!

Both of them fledged yesterday. I did not see them fledge, since YouTube would only provide hang-and-spin-on-black yesterday.  >:(

Cilla has now posted an update, and has rescued Budhin from the ground.

I hope Gaama is also okay.

Thank you for the update, Alison. Those cute little chicks have sure grown!

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having trouble watching YouTube. I was able to watch the chicks fledge on rewind and each fledge looked great to me!

Love those photos by Cilla!

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2018, 14:03 »
Diamond is at the nest right now. I wonder why she is spending the night there, instead of staying with her fledglings.

Our birds do this too.  Particularly at the Radisson and Logan - the adults sit often sit through the night at/on the nestbox after the kids have fledged.  Usually turn up before sunset, may make a last flight around and then will be gone dawn/pre-dawn the next morning.  Mostly our adults don't actually hang out with the kids once they have fledged.  They might be sitting nearby (usually much higher) keeping an eye on the kid, but when we spot kids, very rarely is Mom or Dad within a 100 metres of them unless the kid has flown to where Mom or Dad is sitting and Mom/Dad have decided to stay in place despite the kid(s) presence.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2018, 11:45 »
Diamond is at the nest right now. I wonder why she is spending the night there, instead of staying with her fledglings.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2018, 11:23 »
Many thanks for the updates on these two very cute litte chicks, burdi!

Both of them fledged yesterday. I did not see them fledge, since YouTube would only provide hang-and-spin-on-black yesterday.  >:(

Cilla has now posted an update, and has rescued Budhin from the ground. Photos from the site.

Budhin on the ground:

What a handsome little fledgling he is:

I hope Gaama is also okay.

More pics and videos at the link:

http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/and-theyre-off/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2018, 21:33 »

This morning, Budhin (I think) was back on the ledge again. They’re getting a lot of exercise by running back and forth across the nest and when food is dropped off it seems that Gaama is usually the first to grab it, though I’ve also seen Budhin grab it first. Gaama got the food first this morning and ate peacefully for a while, then Budhin took over after winning in a tug-of-war!

So they’re getting along well and learning to eat pretty good on their own, but at times they still need and enjoy some help from a parent - such as when Diamond fed both of them at 9:34 am.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2018, 21:32 »

Xavier and Diamond sure have to be careful as the kids often keep trying to bite at them, especially when they stop by without food! Although, I think Diamond has been doing an excellent job of handling them. She’s very experienced - and brave too!

Yesterday morning the chicks were wingercizing and their fluff was flying all over the place, then Budhin sat on the ledge for a couple of minutes. I don’t know if that was the first time he tried out the ledge, but it was the first time I saw him there.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2018, 11:30 »
Wing and tail feathers are now coming in:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2018, 11:25 »
Two well behaved chicks:

After being fed, each chick found some leftovers to work on:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2018, 13:06 »
Today's update.

Two weeks and counting, time for names

Thanks so much to everyone who voted in the Great Chick Naming Competition.  Alas no prizes.

Here are the results:

As you can see, the clear winners were Budhin (sunbeam), closely followed by Gaama (storm). There were only three Wiradjuri names and they did pretty well).

The parents have been leaving the chicks for longer and longer periods alone while they hunt (or just sit on the top of the tower and wait for dinner!). Here are two youngsters with the abandoned egg from this afternoon. You can see how huge they are getting. Often six meals a day coming in, with a few of the large honeyeaters (noisy miner and red wattlebird) in the mix.

http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/two-weeks-and-counting-time-for-names/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2018, 01:11 »

Growing as you watch them

Published 6 October, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

The minute you turn your back, the two chicks seem to have grown, such that both Diamond and Xavier, and especially the latter, have trouble tucking the youngsters under them on a chilly night.

Prey has been plentiful.  Xavier tends to focus on starlings.  Diamond has made it clear that these are NOT her preference, but will use them if there’s nothing better.   However, she’s been hunting too now the chicks are a bit bigger, leaving Xavier in charge, and has been bringing in pigeons and rosellas (as in videos above) and below).

Here Diamond is trying to feed the chicks with rosella after they are already full of starling (they are less fussy).  You can almost here her saying, ‘Please, just one beakful more…’.

I was at a nearby reservoir (about 10 km away) today doing a bird survey and saw a peregrine looking for water fowl.  Not sure whether it was one of ours, but it’s always possible.  They don’t get waterbirds very often.

Remember, voting for names finishes Monday.  Names are two threads back.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Cilla

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2018, 14:28 »
The chicks are growing fast, especially noticeable in their legs and feet.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2018, 14:20 »
Two beautiful, well fed little chicks:

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2018, 12:51 »

The opportunity to vote for names continues on this thread - as mentioned below by Cilla.   

DEADLINE Monday 8th October

Little piggies & prey analysis

Published 4 October, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

The chicks contine to eat until they collapse into a ‘food coma’ to sleep it off.  Prey has been coming in thick and fast, even this morning in the rain.  Mostly starlings, with the occasional parrot or larger prey.  In fact Diamond was so sick of starling she went hunting herself this morning and came back with a rosella, pushing past Xavier as if to say ‘Now, Xavier, this is PROPER food for chicks’.

Mind you the chicks will eat anything shoved their, even it seems starling legs, until Xavier thought better of it.

Due to a question on the chat on YouTube ‘how many prey’ items have come in, which I coudn’t answer, I had a look at my files.   I have over 6000 images (stills and videos) and, at a wild guess, I have usually about 5 images per prey (more if they are interesting/difficult to identify, but often only one or two for whole prey).

So I probably have about 1000 prey to analyse.  Some of these are definitely identified (perhaps 100), another 100 or 200 are just to be confirmed by a second opinion, and the rest are unidentified and will mostly be classified by size.  I’m currently trying to work out how to do this as it’s not as simple as it seems.   I’m currently using the known  prey as examples and trying to use only images where the birds are fairly straight on t the camera.  I’m measuring the length and width of the torso to get a m2, then doing the same for the peregrine in whose clutches it is, then calculating a ratio.  When I’ve finished, I will see how much consistencey there is between the ratios of the known species.  If the variability is too wild, I may have to abandon this method.   Anyway, I’ll let you know how I go.

Cilla

Cilla Kinross says:
4 October, 2018 at 3:08 pm
And if you haven’t yet voted for the names, you can do that here. The names are on the previous thread.

And here’s a repeat of the list of names to choose from, including instructions - from Cilla's previous update/thread (for quick reference).

Cloud, Dust, Breeze, Sunny, Gamma (Wiradjuri for ‘Storm’), Fog, Rain, Burrawarra (Wiradjuri for Dusty), Rainbow, Budhin (Wiradjuri for Sunbeam). 

You can have a vote here too.  Just pick your two favourite names and put them in the comments section.   DEADLINE Monday 8th October.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2018, 08:10 »
Hi burdi,

Thank you again for your updates! I am glad that the two beautiful chicks are doing well and growing nicely, but sad that the third chick was not able to hatch. Diamond has continued to incubate faithfully, doing her very best to help all three hatch.

All the images I have posted on this forum are suddenly gone. Don't know if the site is down, or totally gone.  >:(

Trying a new image hosting site; I know nothing about this site, so not sure if it will be of use. Click on images to enlarge a bit.

I think Diamond has now decided to stop incubating the unhatched egg.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2018, 20:40 »
Xavier finally found the opportunity to feed his chicks till they were stuffed this morning! He came in with prey at 7:12 am (Orange time) and was able to stay for 25 minutes!  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2018, 20:35 »
Thank you so much for your updates and pictures, Alison!

I did see the first hatch, and it was very special to see the little beak opened at the bottom of the screen as the baby begged for food (we couldn’t see the whole chick). I missed the second hatch but caught it on rewind; then soon after there were two little heads with opened beaks! So both chicks appeared very strong right from the beginning.

Their two precious chicks are now much larger and often in clear view. Congratulations to Xavier and Diamond!  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2018, 20:28 »

Note - Cilla offers us an opportunity to vote for names for the 2018 chicks in the following update!

DEADLINE Monday 8th October

One week old

Published 2 October, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Our two youngsters are doing very well, eating like piggies – see photo supplied by supporter ‘Moka’.   This is the female, Diamond with her chicks.

You’ll notice that the third egg is still with us, but is clearly non-viable.  Diamond is still incubating it from time to time, but I suspect she will quickly lose interest.  It’s exactly the same scenario as last year. Two healthy chicks and one bad egg.  But in the immortal words of Meatloaf: ‘two of out three ain’t bad’.

Prey has included the usual starlings, eastern rosellas and pigeons, but also what I think is a rail (basically, from the shape of its legs and feet), although it was rather pale for a rail (there’s a song in that:).  Conditions for hunting have been very good, if occasionally too windy, but there is rain on the way, possibly starting tomorrow, so I hope Xavier has the roost tree well stashed.

We have started considering names for the two eyases.   I have taken ten suggestions (from the Youtube Chat) and they will go to the vote by CSU staff, and web visitors, so I should have names in a week.  I am NOT going to try to tell them apart, however, unless there are obvious differences – that way leads to madness! After 3-4 weeks, however, females should appear a bit bigger (and often bolshier).

The names that staff (and you) will get to select from are:

Cloud, Dust, Breeze, Sunny, Gamma (Wiradjuri for ‘Storm’), Fog, Rain, Burrawarra (Wiradjuri for Dusty), Rainbow, Budhin (Wiradjuri for Sunbeam).  My apologies if you choice didn’t get up, but more than 10 seemed to be over-complicating things.

You can have a vote here too.  Just pick your two favourite names and put them in the comments section.   DEADLINE Monday 8th October.

Although Diamond does most of the feeding, Xavier is always keen to try his hand and just occasionally, he gets his way.   You can clearly see the difference in these two photos, too, between the much smaller and brightly coloured male.  Mind you, the chicks have grown so much in a day or two, that difference is not as obvious as it should be.

All the best.  Cilla

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2018, 16:35 »

Close call on landing

Published 30 September, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

This morning both parents landed on the ledge at once, causing a few anxious moments as it looked as thought they might collide.

There is no third hatch (and seems less and less likely) but the two chicks are doing very well.  Plenty of food coming, so much so that Diamond is still rejecting some (well starlings, anyway).  We think Xavier might have brought in a rail, too, which is unusual.

And finally, Dad is also getting short turns at keeping the chicks warm, although I haven’t seen him feeding them yet (he tries, but Diamond assumes he is incompetent and takes over).

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2018, 16:26 »

Second hatch without a hitch

Published 27 September, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

The second chick hatched last night, about 1 am.   Mother and chick doing well and both chicks have been fed today several times.  Diamond still seems to be turning up her nose at starlings, but has accepted grateful pigeons and rosellas and something large and white with black legs (but too small for a sulphur-crested cockatoo, methinks, perhaps a corella??).

A better picture is this one of Xavier, who came into the box after delivering his prey to Diamond (who took it away to have a feed, before returning to feed the chicks later).  He had a bit of a pick at the egg-shell, then went to sit on the chicks (but didn’t have much time as Diamond came back quick-smart to feed).

We are fairly confident that there is a small hole (a pip) on the third egg, but you know the saying about never counting your chickens…..so let’s keep fingers crossed.    Last year, we had two healthy chicks, but the third could not get out of the shell, despite Diamond’s help.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2018, 16:19 »

Yay, first chick arrives

Published 25 September, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

After some debate about whether the chicks were hatching late, I checked our records and the hatching time is actually quite normal. It’s been 36 days since the first egg was lain (and she started incubating fairly soon, certainly by the time the second egg came two days later) and the average for our chicks since 2012 is 37 days (from 1st egg lain to hatch) and 35 days from first serious incubation (usually equates to 2nd egg being lain) to first hatch. So we are well within normal time-frame.

The bad news is that the eggs and chicks are right under the webcam, so hard to see. Scott focused the camera better today (thanks Scott), but they are still quite well hidden.  Anyway, here is the first glimpse of our first chick.   I’m thinking a large, ugly rock in that corner might be the go!  And it will give the chicks something to climb on.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2018, 18:23 »
This is the only image I have so far which shows the two chicks (and the third egg). The quality is abysmal, and to add to that, Diamond was running back into the nest at that moment, which makes it even more blurred.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2018, 11:23 »
From a few minutes ago, new eggshell:

I think there are now two chicks, but have not actually seen the second chick.  :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2018, 16:07 »
YouTube is barely functioning, but here is a tiny glimpse of the first chick, at the very bottom of the image.

Someone brought Diamond a meal; she had a few bites and then left with the prey.

I was hoping for a better view of the chick, but Diamond returned immediately.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2018, 06:44 »
Hatching has begun:

With the very limited view, haven't seen a chick yet.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2018, 16:52 »
I’ve unfortunately had to miss quite a bit at CSU, and this is one of my favourite sites.

Hatching should soon occur as chick peeps seem to be more frequent and louder! :)

Is anyone following this site?  Or are most of you hanging out on chat?  ???

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2018, 18:45 »

Any day now

Published 21 September, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

The chicks are expected to hatch this weekend, so keep an eye on the youtube site, where there is a veritable United Nations of ‘pere watchers’ keeping an eye and ear out for the pips.   Unfortunately, Diamond and Xavier between them have managed to roll the eggs in the near corner where the webcam is slightly out of focus and the eggs are almost out of sight.   However, we will still know when they hatch and it won’t take long before the little ones are all over the box.

Our third wheel (known as VB, or Visiting Bird) is still around.  It is a male, slightly larger than Xavier, with a ‘comma’ on his neck, making him (sometimes) easy to identify.  The female, Diamond, seems to accept his presence, but I can’t speak for Xavier as I haven’t seen them together.  My guess is that he’s spitting chips ie not happy with the situation, especially as the male appears to want to actually incubate the eggs.  This is very interesting behaviour, as Xavier himself wouldn’t have anything to do with the eggs or chicks his first year (when he took over as step-father).  Anyway we shall see what we shall see.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2018, 10:23 »
I wonder whether or not Xavier and Diamond currently have a cache … because if they do, it is likely being emptied by the intruder. My guess is that Xavier won’t stash the food unless he feels it will remain there long enough for Diamond to retrieve it, but food will be needed much more often if there are chicks.

Hopefully the visitor will move along, and if not, then maybe these falcons will amaze us by finding a way to make things work!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2018, 10:01 »
By the way, Cilla has changed the name of the intruder from TG to VB (VB = Visiting Boy), but that could change again. So for now, if anyone mentions a name you don’t recognize - there’s a good chance they’re referring to a falcon they perceive to be an intruder. Remember that none of these birds are banded, and there’s many differing opinions.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2018, 09:30 »
So far, there hasn’t been any serious fighting here, however, the friendly intruder situation appears to be interfering with food delivery for Diamond, so whatever will happen if chicks are in the nest remains to be seen.

I believe Xavier brings prey to the nest only when he feels it is safe because when the intruder is sitting on the ledge or somewhere near the nest, he stays away. Also, Cilla mentioned she thinks the intruder was sitting on the roof of the water tower while she was outside the university one day.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2018, 06:23 »

Is TG a relative?

Published 14 September, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

In-breeding appears to be not that uncommon in peregrines.  Tina Callender (one of our cam watchers) sent me some details of some studies in the UK strongly suggesting siblings helping to raise another brood, and later mating with his mother. BBC – Nature UK: Peregrines are keeping it in the family…

And in the states, it has been demonstrated that some 4% of the peregrine population are closely related.  This often leads to a problem in populations, abnormalities etc. but apparently not (at least, not yet) in peregrines.

I don’t know of any similar studies in Australia, but will endeavour to find out.  Not much in HANZAB (Handbook of Australian, New Zealand & Antarctic Birds), although I did read that fledged young have been known to reside in parental territory (less used parts) for up to nine months.  This bird intruder is clearly more than nine months’ old, however.  Juveniles get their adult plumage by the end of their second year.

It’s going to be interesting to see what happens when the chicks emerge in about a week.  Will this new bird, relative or not, be helpful?  If you listen to the audio on this video (mp4), you can hear some peregrine carry-on just before TG appears and I’m wondering if this is a very early morning spat with Xavier.  It has been noticed that he has brought in less food (although today he managed what I think was a small white pigeon) and that could be a problem if he starts interfering with their routine.  Hungry mouths need more than one feed a day.

Have a lovely weekend.    Cilla

Video by Cilla:20180914-0454-Intruder-q (mp4)

Click here to go directly to entire update by Cilla Kinross.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2018, 18:27 »

Menage a trois?

Published 7 September, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Our intruder, nick-named TG (transgender, because I was having difficulty with his gender) had been making regular appearances and, for some reason, after initial hissing and scuffling, Diamond at least seems to accept him.   I now think it’s a he based on colour of feet and eyes, lack of spots on chest, food-bringing behaviour and size (slightly bigger than Xavier, but quite a bit smaller than Diamond).

It’s speculation, of course, as none of our birds are banded (could not get animal ethics’ approval), but it’s possible that it is one of Diamond’s sons from a couple of years ago, called ‘Vim’ (short for viminalis, one of the local eucalypts).  I have no idea how an adult would recognise offspring, however, as the plumage is now quite different.  If anyone has any insight into longterm maternal behaviour, I’d love to know.

Video by Cilla: 20180904 0514 TG and Di (avi format)

TG on ledge – photo by Helios

TG with Diamond in the nest

I think that the earliest date for hatching is 19th September, but more likely 21-22 September.

Have a lovely weekend.

Cilla

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2018, 15:02 »
Thank you so much for your updates on this nest, burdi! I hope everything has been resolved peacefully with the potential intruder? The cams are barely working from where I am, mainly running on hang-and-spin.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2018, 00:37 »
Such drama!

Published 31 August, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

FIRST, there was some rather strong evidence of pair bonding, right on the ledge.

Still in love

THEn,  the third egg appeared at about 11 pm on 24th August.  No dramas there, but seemed a bit of a strain.  They are really quite big eggs for such a small bottom.

The male, Xavier, had no problem covering all three eggs, although he’s clearly not a very big male.  This was brought into focus when a male intruder arrived, one noticeably larger than Xavier.  At first he came and had a look and got a really frosty reception from Diamond, who ‘keened’ and screamed at him.  He then came later with prey, but she ignored him (starling is not her favourite food, so this was not a good start).. and he left.

And this morning there might been a ‘scuffle’ just outside the box.  You can just see the peregrine trying to land, but he is thwarted for some reason and there was a lot of angry noises about.

Youtube is very busy if you want to chat (especially on the nest cam).  I’ll update this weekly until hatching (three weeks), then more often.    Cilla

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2018, 20:30 »
On August 30 at 5:54 am Xavier arrived without breakfast and was only allowed a 15 minute stay on the eggs; Diamond returned at 6:09 am. I don’t know if he’s stashing food but it’s becoming more likely because they do need to protect the eggs. Their routine has seemed a little strange lately, and there’s been plenty of chat about an intruder. I wonder if Cilla has any observations from outside the nest; she's mentioned there’s a possibility that past offspring could be visiting.

Last night was still quite cold in Orange, and at 6:20 am this morning the temperature was -5.4°C.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2018, 01:58 »
Xavier stopped by at 12:26 pm and certainly had something to say, but for some reason he left very quickly. Later, at 2:45 pm, he finally got another opportunity to incubate their eggs! I didn’t see any food brought in though it could have been stashed somewhere.

And now it’s over two hours later and he’s still there!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2018, 20:38 »
Diamond returned to incubate at 11:10 am.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2018, 19:56 »
Today is August 28 in Orange and they’re expecting a high of 10°C, though the nights are quite frosty again.

I was happy to see Xavier bring breakfast at 7:08 am, and he then headed straight to egg duty. There have been ins and outs since then, of course, but I haven’t been able to keep track.

Okay, here’s the latest - Xavier stopped by at 10:26 am and it appears that Diamond agreed he should take over! I hope he gets to stay awhile.  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2018, 16:09 »
I happened to notice the wrong time in my post at ”23:56” and felt I should make a correction. Yes, Diamond was on the eggs about 1:38 pm, August 27 (checked my pics), but while posting I forgot that she quickly up and left and Xavier slipped in for a bit. So it was 1:54 pm when Diamond insisted she was taking over for poor little Xavier!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2018, 03:29 »
Dusk was close and I was beginning to worry there would be no dinner, but Xavier succeeded and there was plenty for both of them! I believe he had a meal before bringing the remainder to Diamond at 5:54 pm, though he didn’t get much time on the eggs.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2018, 23:56 »
Xavier was able to get back on the eggs at 12:50 pm which was just a minute after Diamond joined him for some mating on the roof, and even while Xavier was trying to settle on the eggs they still kept calling back and forth, and all was fine. But when Diamond returned at 1:38 pm I think she told Xavier that she was ready to take over - like it or not!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 20:10 »
At 8:04 am Xavier brought in a small breakfast which Diamond eagerly accepted, so he happily took over egg duty but didn't get to stay too long as Diamond returned an hour later.

Xavier then returned at 10:17 am (without food) and sat on the ledge awhile before flying off about 10 minutes later. His crop didn’t appear full to me, and I believe he’s trying his best to please Diamond.  :(

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 16:38 »
Good morning everyone, or ... um whatever the time of day happens to be right now ... so I'm wondering if Xavier will bring in breakfast for Diamond today.

Actually, Xavier did stop by already but only got a peek at the eggs as Diamond stood up for only a bit before settling back down.

Diamond finally went out for a break at 7:04 and came back in a couple minutes. At least the weather is better today so that may be helpful, I hope.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2018, 18:34 »
Xavier returned at 8:20 to begin his shift (no food brought in but maybe it was stashed), though I have a feeling he wasn't able to catch anything. Perhaps Diamond will succeed.

I must leave soon but may be back later.

Hope you are all enjoying your day!  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2018, 17:00 »
Currently it is raining in Orange and they certainly need that rain, but hopefully Xavier and Diamond will be able to find enough food as Cilla often mentions that it's more difficult when raining.

Xavier has already stopped by but did not bring any breakfast; he went out to try again, but he hasn't yet returned.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 08:45 »
Diamond laid her third egg on August 24, about 10:56 pm. She looked exhausted.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2018, 07:44 »
On August 24 at 6:30 am, just as Xavier was on his way in with a starling, Diamond quickly left the nest box; I suppose she saw his offering and wasn’t pleased! But all seemed fine when they were mating on the ledge … first at 6:35 am, and again at 7:42 am.

A little later, Xavier brought a gift that Diamond readily accepted, and he then headed straight to those precious eggs and snuggled down, about 9:05 am.

And it appears that Diamond accepted a starling at 12:57 pm. At least I hope she did because they’re more plentiful, also a little easier for Xavier to handle.

I’m glad Diamond was able to take a short break when Xavier came in at 5:36 pm, and hopefully she found something to eat because Xavier had nothing. Diamond returned at 6:05 pm.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 21:43 »
Thank you for the nice pictures of Xavier and Diamond with their eggs, Alison.  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 21:38 »
And then there were two

Published 22 August, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

All going according to plan, the second arrived just after midnight last night.   Here is Diamond leaving her eggs when Xavier brings in some prey (probably well chewed over pigeon) and takes over incubating.

With any luck number three will arrive tomorrow – and you never know, we could have a fourth, although it hasn’t happened at this site before.

Diamond being relieved of incubation duties
for some munchies

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 16:05 »
Yesterday, Diamond laid her second beautiful egg:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 15:49 »
Xavier incubating:

Diamond protecting her first egg, while she prepares to lay her second egg:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 15:54 by Alison »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 23:10 »
The second egg for 2018 was laid August 22, about 12:22 pm. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 23:06 »
First egg for Diamond

Published 21 August, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

The first egg arrived at 0207 on Monday morning.   I’m afraid I missed the actual event.  But it was filmed by BirdieCam in the Northern Hemisphere (Holland?) and her youtube channel can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQvWQiUyDp6oNMlgO6_Jcew

but here is an early glimpse.

Egg number 1 – quite early

Video: 20180820 1st egg 0207 h

I expect egg number two tonight.  And hopefully at least a third in a day or two.  The female will only sporadically incubate until all her eggs are lain, so they are in ‘sync’, so don’t worry if she seems to leave them.  She won’t be far away!

I noticed that Xavier came in with a tiny prey yesterday (thanks to an observant peregrine watcher!) and I’m 99 % sure it was a superb fairy wren – barely a beakful and a first in my books!

Entire update: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/first-egg-for-diamond/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 03:38 »
Xavier came in just before sunset and presented Diamond with a little gift at 5:31 pm; he then went to sit on their egg for about 10 minutes and left the nest box at 5:40 pm. Diamond returned at 6:09 pm and snuggled down on their egg.

I haven’t been able to track much today but should mention that the nights are still quite frosty in Orange, and on August 19 (just yesterday) it was cold, wet, and very windy!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 22:10 »
Thank you for the updates, burdi!

Congratulations to Diamond and Xavier on their first egg!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 22:31 by Alison »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2018, 20:57 »
First egg arrived early in the morning on August 20 at 2:07 am! I’m so happy for them.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 20:38 »
I enjoyed the videos in this spring cleaning update and hope you don't miss them! :)  Xavier and Diamond were both present and clearly in protection mode - good thing Cilla wiped the cams quickly!

Disturbance for spring cleaning

Published 17 August, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

I had to give the birds a bit of a fright this morning as the lenses were a bit grubby and it looked like this will be my last chance before the breeding season.  Diamond is looking quite broody and both birds have been doing a lot of scrape preparation.  Diamond in fact spent part of the nest in the scrape (but she’s not straining as yet).  So, although it’s unlikely that we will have eggs for a week, it’s entirely possible any day.

The videos are broken into three to make them a bit easier to handle.    Cheers  Cilla

All three videos by Cilla are in mp4 format.

20180818 disturbance 1

20180818 disturbance 2

20180818 disturbance 3 hummingbird

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/disturbance-for-spring-cleaning/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 20:25 »
I’ve seen Xavier wait hours with a rejected gift and that saddened me as I strongly felt he was trying his very best. However, over the past few days Xavier seems to realize there’s little value in waiting with his gift once Diamond has rejected it … and now I’ve noticed he’s beginning to persist only when she hasn’t yet seen his gift (which will certainly save him from wasting a lot of time). For instance, on August 12 Xavier arrived with prey at 2:41 pm, but Diamond didn’t show up (she was likely busy with something else), so although he left in about 40 minutes he continued to persist - coming in and out a few more times - until Diamond finally arrived at 3:50 pm and quickly grabbed the prey! Xavier was pleased she accepted and went straight to work on their scrape. :)  These birds are so intelligent and quite often they’re able to work things out very well.

I suppose Diamond simply dislikes the taste of starling, though I’ve also wondered if she might have experienced an unpleasant reaction and wants to avoid that again. Well, whatever the reason, I do hope that Xavier enjoys a meal from the prey she refuses.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 18:06 »
Early Saturday morning, August 11, Xavier arrived at 6:04 am and the pair enjoyed what appeared (to me) to be a very meaningful interaction. Xavier made half a circle around Diamond before both stood very still - and close - while seemingly whispering words of love to each other. :-*  Xavier left about three minutes later ... and Diamond didn’t even move her feet until 6:09 am!!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 17:56 »
On the 10th of August Xavier arrived before Diamond had a chance to leave, so they took the opportunity for a nice bonding session. And at 7:20 am Diamond was happy to receive the right prey, and Xavier appeared pleased. Then they enjoyed another bonding at 11:04 am and another acceptable gift an hour later! It was a busy morning.

Later, at 1:29 pm, Diamond stopped by the nest box and Xavier danced a complete circle around his lovely mate - though he left rather quickly.

And at 5:39 pm Xavier brought in a starling, but Diamond refused to come near it! He waited only a couple minutes then flew away with the starling.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 17:55 »
Thursday morning, August 9, Diamond left the nest box at 6:05 am. Xavier quickly arrived though appeared to have accidentally landed on the tiny lower ledge we can't see. He might have banged his foot a bit but didn't lose his balance and immediately jumped up to the ledge.

Diamond returned at 6:13 am and the pair enjoyed a short dance. At 11:49 am they had another short dance, and at 2:07 pm they arrived at the nest box together and appeared to enjoy an extra sweet session.

Also, Xavier seems to be improving in his choice of prey for Diamond. He brought a gift which she readily accepted at 8:50 am, then at 3:50 pm he succeeded again! I hope he continues to please her. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 17:53 »
Diamond has been very particular about the prey she accepts and usually leaves immediately when it’s not to her liking. She also tends to stay away until it’s removed!

On August 8 Diamond refused a prey offering at 8:21 am and she left quickly. Xavier waited with the hope that Diamond would change her mind, but after waiting 25 minutes he left. Then he returned with the same prey at 9:02 am. Surprisingly, at 9:10 am, Diamond actually did return - even though the prey she didn’t want was there! Well, poor Xavier appeared quite perplexed when she still had no desire for his offering and he left rather quickly, taking the prey with him ... perhaps he was feeling hurt after trying so hard to please her. :(  Diamond stayed a few hours; however, I assume Xavier gave up on trying a third time.

Later, at 1:09 pm, Xavier was relaxing on the ledge when Diamond came by for a bit of loving which lasted about a minute. Xavier then appeared to be waiting for her to return, and at 2:01 pm, she did! And this time the couple enjoyed an extra sweet meeting which lasted nearly two minutes! Xavier only partially circled around Diamond before both stood still in a bowing position - speaking ever so softly to each other. 

And just before sunset Xavier arrived with another irresistible gift! Diamond tripped on the ledge while rushing out but seemed fine upon her return at 5:56 pm, and she quickly settled down for a good night's sleep.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 17:49 »
I’m posting some observations I wasn’t able to get to earlier - so I’ll be sure to include their dates - sorry they’re late.

On the afternoon of August 7 at 4:34 pm - Orange time - I was happy to see Xavier arrive with an acceptable gift for Diamond. She wasted absolutely no time grabbing the prey and off she went! I suppose the very fact she accepted it was interpreted by Xavier as a huge thank you. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 02:21 »
A courtship moment

Published 10 August, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Prey is coming in regularly now as Xavier proves his worth and Diamond either takes it (yum, pigeon) or rejects it (yuk, starling).  As I still have no recording softward, prey identification is a bit hit and miss at the moment.  If you have screenshots, I’d love to see them.

As Sue and others have discovered, mating has been frequent and noisy (but not visible, at least I haven’t seen it).  Here we have a more sedate bowing session.   Cheers Cilla

Video by Cilla: 20180810 D and X circling and bowing (avi format)

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/a-courtship-moment/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 19:25 »
Cilla explains that Diamond is getting fussy with starling in the following update. Check out the "scorned starling" video to see an example of how quickly she refuses the starling prey!

Love is in the air

Published 3 August, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

No pere pawn visuals today, alas, but we caught them in flagrente at the top of the tower on Saturday.   Sue helped out by finding a youtube of visuals with audio, so we are pretty confident that mating has happened…and it’s probably not the first time.  Expect eggs in about three weeks.  Enjoy.

Video by Cilla: 20180728 mating calls (mp4 format)

Video by Cilla: 20180728 q mating calls (mkv format)

We’ve also noticed that Diamond is getting distinctly fussy about accepting starling as an ‘offering’.   I know she’ll eat starlings when hungry, or with a brood to feed, but it’s interesting that she’s rejecting most of them at this stage.  Of course, he’s much smaller than she is, so it’s harder for him to tackle the larger, plumper birds such as pigeons and parrots, but my guess is that he needs to try and that’s the message she’s trying to give.    He did bring in a magpie-lark the other day, which I’m guess would be a lot tastier than a starling, so he’s trying!

Video by Cilla: 20180731 scorned starling nest short (avi format)

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/love-is-in-the-air/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 19:30 »
Cilla added a new update!

Tidy handover of prey

Published 27 July, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Mr Xavier has been getting quite busy over the last week or two, bringing prey to the box.  Up until recently, he has either teased Diamond with it and then flown off (still with the prey), or had a short tug of war with her over it (which she wins, being Mama Muscle).  But this week, he is beginning to remember that he actually has to hand over the prey to Diamond before he gets his reward…

Here he is performing very well.  You see Diamond first, leaving and returning, then Xavier (male) arriving with the prey.   I can’t quite see what the prey is (I need to clean the lenses, but I’ll do that on Monday as rain expected over the weekend).   About the size of a starling, and dark, but with some white feathers too, I think.   I’ve attached the video in two formats, MP4 and avi.

Thanks to Sue Hines, whose eagle eyes and fidelity led me to be able to record this.  The recording software is still not operational, so I’m using Movavi Screen Recorder.

Video by Cilla: 20180727 Tidy handover of prey (MP4)

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/tidy-handover-of-prey/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 19:16 »
Xavier has gradually become much more willing to hand prey to Diamond, without any tugging!

I haven’t kept a close watch but seem to recall a smooth handover on July 22nd at 3:08 pm (Orange time). And I believe it was about 30 minutes later when the couple enjoyed an afternoon dance.

This morning, Diamond left the box at 6:36 am and Xavier arrived 14 seconds later, but stayed only a minute. Diamond then returned at 7:29 am, and I believe she was pleased when Xavier brought in her breakfast at 7:31 am; Xavier is treating her well!  :)

And just as I was about to leave the cam a short meeting took place, but this time Xavier had been waiting at the box, and Diamond arrived at 8:34 am. I hope they have a great day!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 21:30 »
Lately it has been unusually cold in some areas of New South Wales, including Orange.

The following ABC News story describes how some people and animals were affected by the cold in various areas of NSW, including Orange.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-15/temperatures-plummet-as-cold-snap-hits-nsw/9995858

It’s good to see the temperatures are improving.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2018 / Xavier & Diamond
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 21:05 »
The 2018 breeding season at Charles Sturt University has now begun, and Cilla is providing updates again.

Every so often (during the past five months or so) I was pleasantly surprised to spot Diamond or Xavier in their nest box; more recently, I’m finding Diamond in the box every night, and Xavier tends to arrive shortly after she leaves. They meet frequently and Xavier has even brought in prey, but so far (at least from what I’ve seen), he doesn’t wish to hand it over! I find him interesting and quite comical at times.

I’m hoping for a successful and cheerful season with the peregrines and the great folks at the FalconCam Project.

Published 4 July, 2018 | By Cilla Kinross

Well, this is just to say that I have finally had my access restored to the website today, so have been able to start a new thread.   The chat on the Youtube works well, but of course there is no record, it just disappears after a few hours, so you have to be there practically all the time, which isn’t possible.

The Milestone recording software is still not working, however, I can make some videos with the screen recording device.   That works well, except I can’t do it 100% of the time (that means camping at the uni!), so of course will often miss important milestones until it’s operational again.  The Youtube stores images for four hours only.

Anyway, this is a good start and from next week, I’ll start my weekly updates, usually on Fridays, becoming more frequent as the breeding season progresses.

Our couple, Diamond and Xavier, are busy courting and he has even brought food into the box (just once, and he didn’t actually give it to Diamond but, cheekily, flew off with it, as is his wont!  But it all augus well for a good season.

I’ve recently received a generous grant, so am hoping to start the analysis of the prey remains from the last six years.  I’m no longer collecting behaviural data on a regular basis (that needs the proper recording software), but could add to the prey data this season and gather general breeding information.

Many thanks for your patience and fingers crossed I don’t get ‘barred’ again!

Cilla Kinross

Source: FalconCam Project