Author Topic: Radisson - 2018 / Pip & Princess  (Read 63678 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Radisson - 2018 / Pip & Princess
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2018, 20:47 »

At this point, I'd just like to get a text from Pip & Princess telling me that they've changed their minds and are going to give it a pass this year ...  ::)

ROFL   TPC  ;D

Must admit I've also considered it may be best if they pass this year - wasn't expecting you to be notified by a text though! ::)  ;D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #209 on: May 25, 2018, 20:20 »
That might be Princess on the cam right now! If so, she's looking quite comfortable and relaxed today. :)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2018, 16:21 »
The ledge isn't my preferred spot either, but it does have some good points, its a big space which is kind of nice for the chicks and because it is on the east side, never have to worry the chicks are getting warmer than I'd like them to.  Downside is that the ledge isn't accessible (and all that means) and it is so low.  Fortunately the proposed SkyCity building isn't built yet - when (if) it is then it will be much more enclosed for the chicks when they fledge.  And we have had some success off this ledge - Trey was a ledge baby, as was Ty ...

At this point, I'd just like to get a text from Pip & Princess telling me that they've changed their minds and are going to give it a pass this year ...  ::)
ROFL   TPC  ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #207 on: May 25, 2018, 15:38 »
The ledge isn't my preferred spot either, but it does have some good points, its a big space which is kind of nice for the chicks and because it is on the east side, never have to worry the chicks are getting warmer than I'd like them to.  Downside is that the ledge isn't accessible (and all that means) and it is so low.  Fortunately the proposed SkyCity building isn't built yet - when (if) it is then it will be much more enclosed for the chicks when they fledge.  And we have had some success off this ledge - Trey was a ledge baby, as was Ty ...

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #206 on: May 25, 2018, 13:53 »
Yes and there was another time a few years ago on the East Ledge - I think only one chick had hatched so far and there was 2 solid days of pounding rain, so heavy and constant that Princess couldn't get off the chick for long enough to feed him/her. - It was heart breaking watching her. - That chick did not make it, though if I remember correctly, the 2 unhatched eggs did survive and hatch after that. - Anyway - it's just not the preferred spot, my heart can't take the stress of all the hazards that nest brings. - So fingers and toes crossed, if we have eggs coming they will be in the lovely 'high & dry' West Nest!!  ;D ;D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #205 on: May 25, 2018, 12:24 »
For me and I'm sure many others are sadly reminded of the tragedies of nesting on the East ledge. Severe rainstorms ended the nesting season in both 2008 and 2015. Chicks drowned in 2008 and eggs destroyed by flooding in 2015. Princess, I'll say it again.....West is best!  :'( :'( :'(

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #204 on: May 25, 2018, 12:03 »
Bah - Do not want news of eggs on East Ledge..... :-\ - Just sayin'.  :P

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #203 on: May 25, 2018, 11:51 »
I haven't noticed Pip or Princess on cam in the past four hours, though cannot see what's happening on the east ledge and kind of getting a feeling that eggs are near or already here. But yesterday it was hot and humid in Winnipeg, which is very hard on Princess.

Two pigeons were checking out the box!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:53 by burdi »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #202 on: May 24, 2018, 22:45 »
I think four eggs are enough for that nestbox (hope I'm wrong though).
Maybe you could ask if the Radisson pair could take one or two?!   
We’re not being greedy, just sharing duties is all.... :P
I think we should think about stealing, er, I mean borrowing, and what I mean by borrowing is not returning these eggs...  I won’t say anything, if you won’t TPC... :-X
Am not being selfish, just helping out the Peregrine Falcon Population... :-\
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 23:52 by allikat »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #201 on: May 24, 2018, 16:58 »
we had miss edmonton lay eggs end of may , beginning of June one year.

I remember this well as Peter and I were hiding out longweekend in July , watching her.

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2018, 16:26 »
Wow! 
I've been away from my calendar since April 12 and so knew that Princess had returned. 
Six weeks later I find we are still in suspense over will she, won't she and, if she will, WHERE!
Whatever, and wherever, it is utterly fabulous that we have Princess back! 

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2018, 10:29 »
A bird sitting on the nest edge this morning around 9:30am - come on guys, let's get going here~  :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird