Author Topic: Radisson - 2018 / Pip & Princess  (Read 63711 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2018 / Pip & Princess
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2018, 12:53 »
Is the west nest cam not working today?  ??? - Or is it my work clamping down and blocking it?  >:(

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2018, 11:44 »
Boy, they are really keeping us guessing!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2018, 03:13 »
Uh Oh - The fighter Jets are going over the arena again tomorrow at gametime  :o - Yikes, they are seriously explosive! - Not going to help Princess choose the West Nest - I wish she would hurry UP and lay those eggs in there!!  :-\

I see that four CT-155 training jets will conduct a flyby this time around! They're smaller and less powerful than the two CF-18 fighter jets, but I don't know how the noise level of four CT-155's will compare to the two CF-18's.

Too bad the street party celebrations are happening around our Pip and Princess.

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/rcaf-jets-to-conduct-flyby-for-western-conference-final-opener/c-298571546

The jets will blow by pretty quick - remember there are fireworks every summer that go on for more than an hour so its hard to know what they will pay attention to and what they won't.  And Winnipeg really isn't that big - every pair is hearing the planes and likely they all are getting flown over - remember the planes have to fly around a bit while they are up there.  So far everyone else is sticking to their nestsites and getting down to business - some just slower than others it seems but we can't say it is because of a few jet fighters making noise for a few seconds on a semi-regular basis at the moment.  The peregrines will do what they wish, we just need to be patient to find out what it is going to be.  Easier said than done I know!

PS - I had peregrines nest beside a church bell that rang every hour and every half hour during certain periods of the day.  Didn't stop them from nesting or raising their young successfully there.  And she had raised young before so she knew what she was supposed to be doing.  They didn't nest there again, but they hadn't nested there before, so can't really say if that was because of the site, the noise or that the female kept attracting males she wasn't interested in.  And then she didn't return.  And Vesper - she spent her last winter hanging out at an airport - she wasn't nesting but the sound of the jet planes didn't deter her from hanging out there - and she did have other places to hang out!

To quote I'm not sure who or from where "what will be, will be" - we have peregrines in town - eggs no eggs, chicks no chicks, we have peregrines.  Its a kind of stop and smell the roses kind of thing.  ;D

You mentioned a lot of good points here, TPC, and your last paragraph was especially thought-provoking. Thank you.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2018, 00:05 »
Uh Oh - The fighter Jets are going over the arena again tomorrow at gametime  :o - Yikes, they are seriously explosive! - Not going to help Princess choose the West Nest - I wish she would hurry UP and lay those eggs in there!!  :-\

I see that four CT-155 training jets will conduct a flyby this time around! They're smaller and less powerful than the two CF-18 fighter jets, but I don't know how the noise level of four CT-155's will compare to the two CF-18's.

Too bad the street party celebrations are happening around our Pip and Princess.

https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/rcaf-jets-to-conduct-flyby-for-western-conference-final-opener/c-298571546

The jets will blow by pretty quick - remember there are fireworks every summer that go on for more than an hour so its hard to know what they will pay attention to and what they won't.  And Winnipeg really isn't that big - every pair is hearing the planes and likely they all are getting flown over - remember the planes have to fly around a bit while they are up there.  So far everyone else is sticking to their nestsites and getting down to business - some just slower than others it seems but we can't say it is because of a few jet fighters making noise for a few seconds on a semi-regular basis at the moment.  The peregrines will do what they wish, we just need to be patient to find out what it is going to be.  Easier said than done I know!

PS - I had peregrines nest beside a church bell that rang every hour and every half hour during certain periods of the day.  Didn't stop them from nesting or raising their young successfully there.  And she had raised young before so she knew what she was supposed to be doing.  They didn't nest there again, but they hadn't nested there before, so can't really say if that was because of the site, the noise or that the female kept attracting males she wasn't interested in.  And then she didn't return.  And Vesper - she spent her last winter hanging out at an airport - she wasn't nesting but the sound of the jet planes didn't deter her from hanging out there - and she did have other places to hang out!

To quote I'm not sure who or from where "what will be, will be" - we have peregrines in town - eggs no eggs, chicks no chicks, we have peregrines.  Its a kind of stop and smell the roses kind of thing.  ;D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2018, 21:11 »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2018, 16:48 »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2018, 14:04 »
Could it be that the reason we're not seeing Pip or Princess is because Eye-spy, TPC, and Dennis are hanging out in their territory again?  ;)

If only - that I could take care of.
Actually, Pip is in the box everyday - sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much.  On Tuesday, Princess and Pip were in the box dancing and Princess stayed to do a little renovating on both scrapes then sat on the edge of the nestbox for the next hour.  That is at least some maybe hopeful news.

Obviously, I haven't been checking the live cam enough, so this is helpful news regarding Pip and Princess! Thank you for the pic of Pip.  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2018, 13:00 »
Do all the nests in Manitoba that we can see now have eggs except Downtown?  Maybe the Radisson will not have eggs this year?

Nope - West Winnipeg does, looks like McKenzie Seeds does.  At last check (same time we last checked at the Radisson) Logan did not, Radisson does not & four other possible locations have not begun incubating so can't say they have eggs or will have eggs.  Late start for everyone except Sol & Hurricane - they are only a couple of days off their incubation start date last year & the year before.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2018, 12:58 »
Could it be that the reason we're not seeing Pip or Princess is because Eye-spy, TPC, and Dennis are hanging out in their territory again?  ;)

If only - that I could take care of.
Actually, Pip is in the box everyday - sometimes a lot, sometimes not so much.  On Tuesday, Princess and Pip were in the box dancing and Princess stayed to do a little renovating on both scrapes then sat on the edge of the nestbox for the next hour.  That is at least some maybe hopeful news.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2018, 12:21 »
let hope they have eggs. we are still waiting on one of our sites for eggs

Offline Moonstar

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2018, 10:06 »
Do all the nests in Manitoba that we can see now have eggs except Downtown?  Maybe the Radisson will not have eggs this year?

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2018, 17:36 »