Author Topic: Victoria - Melbourne - 2017 / ? & ?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Victoria - Melbourne - 2017 / ? & ?
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 17:03 »
Very sad news from this site. We lost the second little chick today.  :'( :'(

I noticed last night that while being fed, the chick appeared to be in some respiratory distress. He/she was able to eat, but with some difficulty. Today, the chick was no longer moving.

As with the first chick, I think that the probable cause was either Trichomoniasis or a toxin of some kind. With both chicks, the situation worsened quickly. I have seen no comments from Melbourne on the loss of either chick. Do they have no concern for what has been happening at their own website?

The really sad thing is that both of these sweet little chicks could probably have been saved if they had received treatment in time.

I see that in the last little while the live stream has been replaced with the message "Camera is not available".

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 16:05 »
The second chick has hatched!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 16:49 »
The Melbourne pair have their first hatch!
Thanks for the good news, Alison!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 15:13 »
The Melbourne pair have their first hatch!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Victoria - Melbourne - 2017 / ? & ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 11:57 »
There is a new peregrine webcam in Melbourne this season. The peregrines nest on the 35th floor of the Optus Centre in the Central Business District (CBD). This is an old established nest, but so far I have not found much information about it. Peregrines first nested there in 1991, but in 2004 the parents and chicks were all poisoned by eating poisoned pigeons.  >:( There were no more chicks until 2007.

This year, two eggs are being incubated. I don't know when the eggs were laid or when they are due to hatch.

http://www.367collinsfalcons.com.au/