Author Topic: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2017 / Xavier & Diamond  (Read 24997 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2017 / Xavier & Diamond
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2017, 00:23 »
Update - Rainy day, late feed

Published 20 October, 2017 | By Cilla Kinross

We had a good (and much-needed) downpour last night, which gradually petered out during the day and the sky was almost pink again by the time I got to work this evening.

The consequence of this was a rather hungry morning, with no prey being brought in until nearly noon, when a very wet Diamond arrived with a welcome pigeon – introduced species based on the white feathers and pink legs and huge size.

A welcome pigeon for lunch

During the afternoon, more pigeons were brought in (or was it the same pigeon several times – I can’t be sure!).  At one time, Xavier brought in what I swear must have been Diamond’s pigeon (or what remained of it).  I don’t Xavier caught anything all day….. Eventually both chicks became extremely full and couldn’t cram any more in, so the parents got a feed as well.

Chicks are getting some juvenile plumage coming through and are a little more independent, although still sprawl together when sleeping.   And Marragaay has started feeding him/her self from the scraps in the box.  I always think of this as a bit of a milestone and start recording all times when they feed themselves, as opposed to just being fed.

The forecast promises to be fine for our landcare event this weekend, so I’ll probably not check in again until Monday.    Have a lovely weekend.

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/rainy-day-late-feed/

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2017, 00:16 »
I just watched Cilla’s “20171019 Mr Creosote” video and it was very cute to see each chick take a turn at intently watching the other - probably trying to figure each other out! Marragaay was interested in learning to eat while Bali was more interested in wing exercising. :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2017, 00:02 »
Update - Well fed chicks getting adventurous

Published 19 October, 2017 | By Cilla Kinross

Although Marragaay is getting really well fed, Bali is not doing too badly – and at least he’s not eating himself sick.   Marragaay reminds me of Mr. Creosote in Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life (this might not mean much to the Americans, apologies) and I hope he doesn’t blow himself up.

At least one very well fed chick

After a few tentative steps a few days ago, the chicks (especially Bali – Marragaay can only roll about!) are starting to get a bit more adventurous, even creeping close to the ledge and Bali has been doing some wing-flapping.

Hello, what’s out there?

Neither Diamond nor Xavier is spending much time keeping the chicks warm now that the weather has improved, although there is quite a bit of rain forecast for today and tomorrow, which might change things and make it harder to get prey.

I’ve noticed that Diamond hardly ever brings in starlings, although she will feed them to the chicks if there’s nothing better.  Her preferences go to rosellas, galahs and other larger birds – she caught a red wattlebird yesterday (a large honeyeater).  The prey is getting easier to identify as there is less preparation now, but I’m still not sure what the large white bird was (feathers seen in top photos).   Possibly a sulphur-creasted cockatoo, which would be appropriate revenge for the orgies that the cockies sometimes hold in the box during winter, even chasing the male out of the box!

I’m tied up with full-day meetings, landcare etc. over the next three days and it will be difficult to keep you updated (and I’ll get horribly behind again).   And a lot changes in three days.  Unfortunately, I don’t have access to the software at home – it’s very restricted because of the tie-in with the university location and security situation.     Many thanks to other Scylla for helping out in this respect.   It’s very much appreciated.    Let’s hope the streaming cams don’t keep blacking out. so she can use her screen-capture software.     I assume that’s similar to what Arjen was using last year.

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/well-fed-chicks-getting-adventurous/

I haven't included the "Mr Creosote" video, but you can download it from the above link and check it out! I also haven’t included all photo content.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2017, 17:56 »
Update - Family supper

Published 17 October, 2017 | By Cilla Kinross

Peace reigns in our falcon family.   Apologies to those fretting about our chicks – it was just overzealous feeding and a chuck-up, after all.  No nastiness at all (except chucking over your sibling’s back, which is a bit disgusting…)

Here we have a scene where Xavier had brought in a small prey after long drought and started feeding chicks.  Then Diamond trumped him with (I think) an eastern rosella.  She took over the feeding, so X started eating his remnants.  Then he thought he should help out, but Di nicked his prey and thwarted him!

Diamond takes over the evening feed with a superior prey

VIDEO   20171016 family supper

This happened last night.   I’m not making that mistake again (ie jumping ahead with no history or context)!   But I should catch up tomorrow.    Have to leave…Amadeus beckons.

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/family-supper/

You will find the short "family supper" video in the above link.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2017, 17:20 »
Cilla provided a few comments explaining why she thought there was sibling aggression, so I felt it would be helpful to post them.

Cilla Kinross says:   
16 October, 2017 at 1:41 pm   

I’ve had messages from other falcon-watchers that it is quite common for one bird to vomit on another, so perhaps that’s all it was, but it was very blood-coloured vomit if that’s the case. It does seem odd that Bali didn’t resist or try and move away at all.

Cilla Kinross says:   
16 October, 2017 at 4:52 pm   

Mea culpa. This is why I normally don’t do updates until I’ve caught up; but that’s almost impossible at the moment.

Now I’ve had a chance to go through the afternoon recordings, I can see what has happened. At 1802, Diamond brought in a large, fat pigeon and stuffed this into the chicks, mostly Marragaay, Bali barely getting a look in, although Di had her back to us, so can’t be sure. THEN, just over 16 minutes later, Xavier brought in a starling bit and Di fed them again. That resulted just over 40 minutes feeding in under an hour.

They, or at least Marragaay, was so stuffed, he/she could barely sit. At 1905, five minutes after last feed finished, up it all came all over Bali’s back, and of course it looked just like blood because it was, just not Bali’s, thank goodness.

Cilla Kinross says:   
16 October, 2017 at 7:22 pm   

Now I’m not so sure again as I noticed a large mark on Bali’s back early this morning, which appears to be a wound with drying blood. Seems unlikely that M’s chuck-up would still be there!

Cilla Kinross says:   
17 October, 2017 at 5:22 pm   

Now all clear, so definitely a false alarm. I actually saw Diamond eat the vomit, disgusting girl. My apologies for misdiagnosis.

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/sibling-agression/

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2017, 13:29 »
What happened to the  second baby in Melbourne?

On October 16, the chicks came out of their small nest box onto the ledge, where Mom continued to brood them, and both chicks were moving around. They were being fed and cared for.

By the following day, one of the chicks had become ill. He/she did not look well, and was having trouble opening the beak to be fed. Very sadly, the little one passed away yesterday. I am not sure of the cause, but it may have been Trichomoniasis, or possibly a toxin of some kind. In either of these cases, the second chick would also be at risk, but has appeared okay so far.

Mom has been sitting on the edge of the ledge, and has not been brooding the surviving chick when I have checked the cam.

I will update the Melbourne thread a bit later.

Offline mspeach

• Hatchling
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2017, 23:35 »
What happened to the  second baby in Melbourne?

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2017, 17:33 »
I’m not about to draw any conclusions regarding Cilla's last post as it doesn’t provide sufficient information (in my opinion), so I’ll check back later.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2017, 17:16 »
The chicks were snuggled together and sleeping before the screen froze at 0814 hrs and then went black.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2017, 17:12 »
Update - Sibling aggression

Published 15 October, 2017 | By Cilla Kinross

I hope this doesn’t keep up.   The older chick Marragaay had real go at the younger one, Bali, with considerable blood loss.    I was just thinking how well they were doing.   I was trying to get up to date, but was only up to noon today, so I decided to fast forward so I could give you an update, when I saw this.

Bad blood between siblings

VIDEO   20171015 sibling agression

They are now cuddle up in the corner as if nothing has happened, but Bali is very quiet (but moving).    Mum is sitting on the ledge.   I haven’t observed this behaviour before in nine years, but it may not be unknown.  Bickering yes, but not drawing blood.   I’ll check and see how much much prey was brought in this afternoon tomorrow, but I’ve had it tonight.

The only other thing of note to happen is that it’s possible that a couple of bats were brought in as prey very early in the morning.  I can’t be sure as the images are not great.

Source: http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/sibling-agression/

I've omitted a video as well as a couple of pics which are similar to the first.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2017, 11:58 »
Today is Saturday, Oct. 14 in Orange, and Diamond was feeding the chicks at 0648 hrs while Xavier was on his way out. I felt sorry for Xavier as he rarely gets a chance to feed (and has to cut it short when he does)! Poor guy, how's he supposed to become an expert with so little experience?
Just thinking that perhaps falcon dads aren't required to be experts at feeding, aside from cases where they're left to raise their young on their own. Hmm, are my thoughts on the right track or not? TPC? ???

Long answer for a short question ...  ;D

Do males have to be expert feeders?  I guess not, but your chicks will survive/thrive better if both parents are equally competent/capable and not just if one parent is lost.  If dad can help more with the chicks, then the workload can be more evenly shared and the burden on the adult birds is more manageable which helps them make it through the breeding season better, defend their nest/young, survive/thrive for another year.  Couple of examples -

T-Rex was an uber-daddy - he did everything and his mates had much less to do.  That might have suited some females, might not have suited others, but that was his thing - he incubated, hunted, fed, defended, taught, you name it he did it - and that was before we had webcams so he was probably even more uber than we know.  He had good success but not so many successful offspring - remember, success is not just to pass along your genes but for your young to successfully have young.  His son

Trey was a superstar in that he was an all rounder - defended, incubated, brooded, provided, put up with Princess somewhat dictatorial ways and was a demon for keeping his nestbox clean.  And his kids with Princess are our most successful to date - Alley, Radisson, Ivy, Hurricane. 

Next came Ivy, Trey's son, not much defence required, Princess is pretty dominant by this point, but eager to do whatever was necessary.  Defended well when needed, good child care again when needed - both because Princess at this point was more in charge than she had been with Trey.  Ivy was not much of a cleaner but enough of one that given the sheer volume of food that kid brought in for every meal, those chicks should have been swimming in feathers (bit like Radisson & Chase some years in Edmonton!).  Ivy's kids never finished the meals he brought in, they burped and waddled away to nap and Princess took care of the leftovers.  Defence, chick-care were as Princess allowed, the hunting was his thing and he was as much a rockstar at that as was T-Rex as carer and Trey as an all-rounder.  The result?  We have some of Ivy's kids turning up on territories like his father and grandfather. 

Pip is the latest in the line, he's a great-great-grandson of T-Rex (T-Rex, Trey, Ivy, Hart, Pip) and I hope he returns and we see at least one more year with Princess, interesting dynamic there.  She is much more laid back with him and he's a very quick study though if he has Trey's cleaning gene it has manifested itself yet.  For the rest though, he looks more like an all-rounder like Trey than a hunting machine like Ivy or uber-stay-at-home dad like T-Rex, but one year makes it tough to tell yet.

So, does a male peregrine need to be an expert feeder?  No but it sure helps.  Can you tell after one season if a bird will be uber/super? Not always.  Some birds are naturals, some just need practice, some need to be more confident in what they are doing which takes time and some take their lead from their partners if they have the experience they lack - never underestimate the power of having a) a teacher, b) a really good teacher.

Just my buck & a quarter (inflation don't ya know)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2017, 16:10 »
Alison, I’m very sorry to hear that you’re not able to view the cams or follow the site, but I’m hoping this will somehow improve for you.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2017, 16:09 »
I see a feed is happening at 0804 hrs!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2017, 15:54 »
On Sunday morning at 0619 hrs AEDT in Orange, NSW, Diamond was looking out from the ledge and probably hoping for a food delivery. The temperature was 8.1°C and expected to reach a high of 20°C. Diamond was no longer in the nest box at 0643 hrs, and the chicks were sleeping. At 0737 hrs a parent made a brief stop ... and currently, the chicks are alone. Hopefully they enjoy the day, but I won’t be able to keep a close watch on them.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2017, 20:26 »
Thank you for the updates, Burdi. The cams on the site no longer work from where I am, nor does the information page. Obviously they do work in some locations. Unless there is a major upgrade to the site, I don't think I will be able to see the live stream again.