Author Topic: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess  (Read 85442 times)

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2017 / Pip & Princess
« Reply #174 on: June 02, 2017, 15:02 »
Poor Pip - He doesn't realize how lucky he is so far compared to the other 'Dads' - He doesn't get kicked out nearly as much as they did.  :D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2017, 14:21 »
Mealtime

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/870714438869020673 

... followed by Pip-wants-to-see-chicks  ;D

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/870715098729414656

Chicks got fed, Pip didn't get to hang out with the kids  (Princess 1, Pip 0 this time)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2017, 13:30 »
TPC is the sun and heat over today and the wknd going to be a problem for the chicks?  ??? - Normally it's rain or cold we're watching but their thermostats aren't regulated yet - will they be too hot/dehydrated?  8)

Yes heat is a problem for them and yes, the Radisson nestbox gets the sun in the afternoon.  But they should be fine though for a number of reasons
  • Princess knows what she's doing
  • There is a decent breeze out there and because of the height there will be air movement there unlike Logan and lesser so West Winnipeg
  • There is a risk of thunderstorms this evening (60% + 2-4mm) and overnight (70% + 5-10mm) which will help cool things down
  • Sunday not so hot and the wind will be from the west - right into the nestbox

As for dehydration - the chicks get all their moisture from the food they eat, so as long as they keep getting fed they should be fine.

Having said all of that - they are still small so there is plenty of room (even with the eggs) under Princess or Pip to keep to stay in the shade so it will be easier than if they were a week older ...

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2017, 11:35 »
WOW - not sure what Princess presented to the chickies for Brunch about an hour ago  ??? - looked like a huge SPIDER or something - strange.  :-X

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2017, 10:35 »
 ;D Feeding time for 2 little hungry chicks. A lot of marking on the white egg. A high of 31-33C today. It will be very hot this afternoon/evening in the West sun.  :P

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2017, 10:03 »
TPC is the sun and heat over today and the wknd going to be a problem for the chicks?  ??? - Normally it's rain or cold we're watching but their thermostats aren't regulated yet - will they be too hot/dehydrated?  8)

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2017, 19:52 »
Princess looks like she's saying "I'm good.  We don't need any more kids this year."  ;D

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2017, 18:54 »
Wow great pics of the Logan chicks and the baby with his stuffed crop.  ;D - Ok no more finding issues with how Princess is doling out the grub!  :P - They're so funny to watch - lots of toppling over!  ;D ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2017, 13:43 »
as I said, I always find stuff to worry about. ... ;D ;D (And I just saw another feeding 1/2 hour ago, the little one got one teeny morsel and that's it .)  :-\ - Maybe I should stop looking. ... :P 

Check out the smallest/youngest Logan chick (4 days younger than its oldest sibling) in the photo I just posted there - kid has a crop so full it would choke one of us!!  Food doesn't seem to be his/her biggest problem - s/he keeps getting mistaken for a pillow by his/her sibs!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2017, 13:39 »
As Princess struggled to keep the little ones tucked in, I thought I saw a pip on the white egg. Maybe another hatch today TPC?

Can't say for sure, I have thought I've seen pips in both eggs, but they could be stuff stuck to the eggs or just a darker marking on the egg that is showing particularly well.  Only time will tell I'm afraid.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2017, 13:16 »
As Princess struggled to keep the little ones tucked in, I thought I saw a pip on the white egg. Maybe another hatch today TPC?

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2017, 12:38 »
Bally, I worry too, each year it seems like someone is not getting fed. But, I have noticed over time that they all thrive. Princess is very good at this. Plus, I think tpc once mentioned that peregrines are very good at feeding everyone. It isn't a competition for survival of the fittest as in some species.
Yes Princess is probably the most experienced peregrine Mom ever!! ( if I find something to worry about I will do it....lol....)  :D - I was saying to my sister this morning that I don't think we've ever had a chick die of neglect - or for that matter, by being stepped on - as I'm sure Princess tromped on the little one while picking up the room service yesterday -  :-\.....as I said, I always find stuff to worry about. ... ;D ;D (And I just saw another feeding 1/2 hour ago, the little one got one teeny morsel and that's it .)  :-\ - Maybe I should stop looking. ... :P
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:47 by ballywing »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2017, 12:17 »
Happy to see we will have different camera views again this year. Will we also have the camera view from the "promenade? Thanks TPC!

Maybe - the winter was hard on it so it hasn't been working but if we can repair it during banding we will.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2017, 12:03 »
Happy to see we will have different camera views again this year. Will we also have the camera view from the "promenade? Thanks TPC!