Other Peregrine Projects > Australian Peregrines

NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2016 / Bula & Diamond

(1/5) > >>

Alison:
When I checked the site a little while ago, I found one of the juvies in the nest, with a full crop. Poor Galah.

As I am posting this, the juvie is still in the nest.

Photobucket has been down pretty much all month so far, so posting pics is not easy right now. The site I am using in the meantime will not allow me to post two pics side by side.

Alison:
All three chicks have now fledged. The first to fledge was one of the girls, Rubi. Second was the little male, Vim. And the last to go was the other girl, Mell. Immediately thereafter, the site was taken down for maintenance.

It has been difficult to follow the cams this year, since the site is way overloaded with traffic and the cams very rarely load. When they do, they are either already frozen or run for about 2 - 4 seconds before freezing again.

The cams are now back online.

Here is Diamond this morning; she had spent the night at the nest.

The Peregrine Chick:
Just a note, I have not included all the photos in Cilla Kinross' posts
If you want to check them out, here's the link - http://www.falconcamproject.org/

The Peregrine Chick:
October 16 Update

Almost two weeks old

Chicks are starting to sprout up and venture out, even approaching their step-dad in a vain quest for food!

Preys have been quite regular; well-sized; difficult to identify, but have included starlings, pigeons and parrots, including a galah, which took nearly half an hour to finish off!  It took me ages to work out one bird, which I finally nailed as an eastern rosella after spying a tiny glimpse of a green, then yellowish feather, which narrows it down.

Most parents stash the prey when they have an abundance, but I’ve noticed that Diamond doesn’t usually do this….probably with good reason due to our Xavier’s tendency to pinch food.  And it’s occurred to me that he perhaps is ‘handing’ over most of his prey and is consequently quite hungry.  It’s quite a job to fledge three chicks, especially under these difficult circumstances, so I think they are doing pretty well.  And I’ve also noticed that Xavier is getting better at his duties: although he hasn’t had much interaction with the chicks yet, his guarding duties have been much more extended.

Diamond is starting to interact more with the chicks, apart from just keeping them warm and feeding them.   She’s also spending most of the night either standing close to the chicks on even on the ledge, and much less time actually covering them.

I have to go to Sydney tomorrow, with no access to the software, so I’ll sign off for a couple of days.  Scott should be back today from NZ, so I’ll leave you in his tender care.   Happy watching.

The Peregrine Chick:
Update - October 15th

Who is this thief

I’ve just got in from our tree-planting and notice a bird pinching a small lump of prey from a very relaxed Diamond, who was feeding her chicks, but this didn’t look like Xavier, or even like a male, unless my eyes are starting to play up, as he/she seems to be the same size.

This was actually on Thursday 13th at 1632 ish.    Now Xavier is taller than Bula, I admit, but this does seem to be a big bird.  When it was sitting on the ledge, I was sure it was a female!    Pity the light inside the box is so bad.   But I can’t believe she would let a strange bird near her chicks, so I must be wrong. And seems typical of X.

Did anyone else notice anything odd?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version