Author Topic: NY / Buffalo - Statler City - 2016  (Read 2410 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Buffalo - Statler City - 2016 / Ralphie & ?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 23:48 »
So at least for now, TPC, Tessa is not the resident female at this nest. 

Thanks for letting me know Alison!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 18:04 »
The band numbers I had posted, Y/82, were correct. The intruder was Tessa, born in 2014 at the Mississauga Holcim nest in Ontario.

However, the falcon who returned to the nest after the fight was the unbanded resident female. Both she and Ralphie have been seen at the nest. The resident female appears to be okay, but extremely stressed. I could see no sign of blood on her.

She was due to lay her second egg yesterday, but the stress of the territorial battle has disrupted egg laying, at least for now. The first egg was incubated overnight, and for a while earlier today, but has also been left uncovered for long periods of time.

Since the DEC has been involved in this situation, I am concerned that the intruder may have been injured. No updates on that as yet.

So at least for now, TPC, Tessa is not the resident female at this nest.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 20:50 »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 12:55 »
Cropped view of the bands:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 12:51 »
There was a territorial battle at the nest box this morning between the resident female and an intruder. The intruder female has what looks like red tape over the band on the right leg. The band on the left leg may be all black, and the numbers look like Y/82. I am not sure about the band, since when I enlarge it the lower half looks lighter in colour.

TPC, is this band at all familiar to you?

The fight continued outside the nest. The resident female returned to the nest. I hope both birds are okay.

Link to the video; it is hard to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eZtpabCi30

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 09:58 »
During the night, it snowed:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
NY / Buffalo - Statler City - 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 09:47 »
This is one of the old established nest sites. For a number of years, there was a webcam, until for various reasons it disappeared.

Now there is a new webcam at the Statler. There is also a new male this year. He is Ralphie, born in 2014 at the Sheraton nest in Toronto, son of Rhea Mae and Tiago. He is banded black/black W/84. The resident female is the same as before. She is unbanded.

Yesterday, she laid her first egg. Ralphie was so excited when he came to see the egg. He checked it out from all angles.

http://www.statlercity.com/falcon-cam/