Author Topic: U of Alberta - 2016 / Chase & Radisson  (Read 14089 times)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: U of Alberta - 2016 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2016, 12:17 »
I have been away on private matters but will come in later today with some nice photos and videos

the kids as we knew would happen have been traveling back and forth between bridge and U of A

will be back. stay tuned

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2016, 11:11 »
Great news from the Bev team all chicks for U of A and Weber (8) were accounted for after yesterdays rain. Soon, Radisson and Chase's chicks will fledge at any moment.

That's super nice news to hear! Thank you for letting us know. :)

Hope they all fledge safely!

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2016, 10:50 »
Great news from the Bev team all chicks for U of A and Weber (8) were accounted for after yesterdays rain. Soon, Radisson and Chase's chicks will fledge at any moment.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2016, 04:39 »
had the great Friday night watching the chicks at U of A. I only saw 3 birds and a parent fly in for just a second and took off to the north. On Saturday, I saw Radisson sitting on the roof edge, then a juvie flew in for a talking to mom. :)

Thank you for watching and reporting, Soaring West. I’m happy to hear you’re seeing them. :)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2016, 10:01 »
 had the great Friday night watching the chicks at U of A. I only saw 3 birds and a parent fly in for just a second and took off to the north. On Saturday, I saw Radisson sitting on the roof edge, then a juvie flew in for a talking to mom. :)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2016, 00:10 »
4 chicks! Great news, bev! :D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2016, 14:41 »
well one of my watchers , wen tot take a peek the other day adn we have 4 chicks. We have had lots of rian an high winds so hope all stay safe :-*

Four chicks! That’s great news, Bev. I hope they stay safe.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2016, 17:22 »
well one of my watchers , wen tot take a peek the other day adn we have 4 chicks. We have had lots of rian an high winds so hope all stay safe :-*

Good news about the four chicks!  The weather hasn't been all that good for our flying friends out that way!

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2016, 13:14 »

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2016, 23:53 »
june19

WE have 3 chicks . so I think my observations were quite close
I think first hatch was either evening of June 3 or morning June 4

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 22:53 »
Peter and I and piffle wen t down at noon on Friday, june9. we saw both peregrines and Radisson was brooding kids. it has been cold dn rianing so hav e not been able to catch Radisson feeding gto see kids.

but a friend and her husband went down to see them last night, JUnd13 and confirmed, 3 kids.  We sespected that she had dropped and egg and so did Gord, so 3 it is.

chase is up to his tricks of bringing food and then aas Radussib tries to retrieve it , there is a tug of War. things do nto change LOL

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2016, 19:46 »
june5

Pete and i had the grand kids yesterday, but I managed to get some time to do some watching. We have at least one hatch yesterday. We were at our spot at about 1 pm . Radisson was sitting high, that was the first sign for me.  then in came Chase . He got some prey and brought it to nest but Chase being Chase , played tug a war with RAdisson, as she  reached for it. We have seen this many times at U of A. Chase won. He ate  a bit and then stashed it not too far away from  nest area. I watched him show off and then roost for a bit Did nto have time to watch him take it back.

WE will try and go again tomorrow. it will be a few days before we know about how many.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2016, 15:51 »
Yes, Radisson and Chase are a great, well experienced pair! (Thanks for the memories, TPC.)

I'm just wondering if they have a roof in their new nest (or not), since I haven't heard. (I could have missed it though.)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2016, 13:39 »
Bev, you say they have weathered the rain well, so I have to wonder if they have a roof or not; you've also mentioned a possible hatch tomorrow, so I'm wondering how well you're able to see them. 

Peregrines have been surviving rain without roofs for most of their lives.  Not always as we know, but they do well so long as it is just rain not biblical deluge.  Joli has never had a roof and she's never lost a chick to rain - that's 14/15 (still don't know how many we have this year) chicks out of 15 eggs.  Princess has managed to raise chicks on the east side ledge through rain (not deluges), snow, blizzards and ice-storms (remember Trey covered in ice yes?).  Radisson is an experienced, successful female and she's not as small as some of her sibs so even without a roof, she she should do very well.  Add to that she has an experienced familiar mate in Chase so they have all they need to do well - just pray for ordinary rain if rain there must be!!

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2016, 04:37 »
Thank you for checking in on them regularly.

Bev, you say they have weathered the rain well, so I have to wonder if they have a roof or not; you've also mentioned a possible hatch tomorrow, so I'm wondering how well you're able to see them.

Someday soon, I hope you will give us some idea of their whereabouts. :)

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2016, 00:47 »
JUne 4

Chase was on cam yesterday and day before

WE have been checking in on them regularly, after seeing them today, I am sure there will be a hatch by morning. Thye are doing well and have weathered rain well in new spot

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2016, 08:44 »
May 30

things are going well so far for RAdison and  Chase. We are keeping as close an eye as we can. we try and get there twice a week and will try for more this week.

expect hatch  this week . do not know how many. have had lots of rain so hopefully they have kept them nice an dry.

We have seen chase and RAdisson around U of A  site during breaks. They are maintaining territory so far :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2016, 08:43 »
will go over to Bell and weber and post updates

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2016, 08:43 »
sorry, for not updating . did not know you were worried. Between my personal life commitments and monitoring our nests, very busy

things are going very well for RAdissohn and Chase. they do make it U of A most days . chase is holding on to the territory. Just as long as he does not get  hurt in process.

the fires are not close to us, but I am sure a kit of wildlife has suffered.

these are pictures of chase from yesterday when he visited U of A

these are pictures Jean got of radisson  on may4 during one of her visits

chase at box may7

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2016, 18:43 »

3 out of 4 nests have problems

I’m so sorry to hear of the problems you’re dealing with. This must be very difficult for all involved.

Stay safe Chase and Radisson. :-*

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2016, 14:08 »
TY TPC
There is way to much going on in our skies. And they all seem to be linked to each nest in some way , shape or form.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2016, 10:18 »
Radisson and Chase are fine, where their nest is.
As you all know what is happening in FT Mac our minds and thoughts and eyes are glued to the news.
We are having battles at the Bell and may have lost our male. The eggs were removed yesterday by Dr Court. We just hope that if the male has made it, that he does not go over to the U of A site. Radisson and Chase both go over there on their breaks to keep the area.
For all that know Bev, she is drained right now.
3 out of 4 nests have problems
Princess's granddaughter is doing well at the Weber with 4 eggs.
Green Girl is so beautiful to watch and DO1 is a great partner for her.

I've also put the relevant information in the Weber & Bell threads so we don't get too confused  ;)  TPC

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2016, 07:56 »
According to Yahoo Maps it is 436.94 Kilometers.  They have evacuation centres set up here for people so I would say they would be safe.  The extension of the fire(s) is a concern for everyone.  And all the wildlife and (people) will be displaced for sometime.   :'(

I am very concerned about the safety of this nest. What is the distance between the nest and the raging fires in Fort McMurray? I hope for a positive update.

Nest is safe.  Edmonton to Fort Mac is >400 km by car (twice as far as Brandon from Winnipeg) - straight line distance (as the peregrine flies) is 375 km, so not that much closer.  As an added bonus, there is a huge firebreak around Edmonton - about 90km of agricultural land north of the City (as I recall) so the fires would have to come 200-300 km south, then run across a lot of agricultural land (less fuel and easier for firefighters to access) before it got to Radisson & Chase in Edmonton.  And Bev, Mr Bev and Soaring West who are watching over them.

Bev, Mr Bev (hey Peter) and Soaring West can correct me if my memory and km counts are off.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2016, 16:16 »
Thanks for providing this information, TPC. It puts my concerns to rest.  :-*

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2016, 15:24 »
I am very concerned about the safety of this nest. What is the distance between the nest and the raging fires in Fort McMurray? I hope for a positive update.

Nest is safe.  Edmonton to Fort Mac is >400 km by car (twice as far as Brandon from Winnipeg) - straight line distance (as the peregrine flies) is 375 km, so not that much closer.  As an added bonus, there is a huge firebreak around Edmonton - about 90km of agricultural land north of the City (as I recall) so the fires would have to come 200-300 km south, then run across a lot of agricultural land (less fuel and easier for firefighters to access) before it got to Radisson & Chase in Edmonton.  And Bev, Mr Bev and Soaring West who are watching over them.

Bev, Mr Bev (hey Peter) and Soaring West can correct me if my memory and km counts are off.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 13:18 »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 17:08 »

I sure hope intruders stay away. Unfortunately, keeping both sites safe will now require twice the work for Chase and Radisson.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 10:15 »
thanks Bev for the ID. Radisson is safe and  is sitting on eggs. And we will be sly as a fox keeping a eye on them from a distance. We still have a intruder in the area and Chase is keeping a watchful eye on it.(female is the guess).

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 19:17 »
positively id now

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 14:32 »

At least it's good to hear they've been located.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 10:58 »
so I love my pair here and our  main thing now is keeping them safe so I am not say9ing much about where they are.
Gord has been in conference in B.C. but we will get together when he gets back this weekend

know we will keep themsafe

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 10:56 »
lasr Sunday early morning was last time R was in box .

We had her turn into her spot last Saturday night and then saw her inbox at around 1:10am .  think she had already decided on other spot as she had not come near box , since men were on roof. but I think  she thought she was going to lay egg and came her early morning, as she did nto have time to get to other spot. too bad she did nto lay egg.
she was in box 4 hours

video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Svus932EDc

this is her calling chase in and then we heard two canoodle that day, and were hopeful. so you know she got spooked really bad.

video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxPpR7fX3sI

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 10:50 »
my friend sent this vidoe of Chase at t nest box last night

video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck2y_G7XPsI

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 10:43 »
we have found them nesting somewhere else. pretty sure it is them.  S

They are safe and Chase comes back to box at night and sometimes during day. He turns in at their turn in place.

they will be fine and we will keep an eye on them
this is what happens when yahoos go up on roof at critical time.
the other night when we were at site, Chase came to box area 6 times so we were hopeful. He was sure trying but they really spooked Radisson and that is all I can say.

they will back after kids fledge, I am sure.
Chase trying to keep territory safe and i hope no one tries to move in.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 11:06 »
Radisson you little terror, if you are nesting somewhere new, you will have to apologize mightily to Bev, Mr Bev and Soaring West for all the trouble you are putting them through!

Hopefully she is just taking her time this year.  Not that she is late, her first egg was laid April 28th last year, April 30th in 2014 and May 5/6 in 2013. Lots of wiggle room though - Cowboy and Joli at Logan didn't lay their first egg until June 1st in 2013.  And they did fine, no problems at fledge and we have had Sundance back in/visiting the province for two years now, so the late start didn't cause him any problems.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 10:54 »
I wish I could  :) but I feel  :'( . We have not had a sighting of Radisson since noonish on April 23. Chase has come in and out of the box but no Radisson.
The boots on the ground, we hear nothing. But, she is Radisson and she ended up here without know how she got here. We will look till the falcons come home.  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2016, 20:43 »

I heard a falcon near the cam a couple times this evening, but couldn't see who was actually there.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 01:15 »
we are monitoring closely. she did come to box from 1:10am apri l24 - 5:54am april 24. heard 2 canoodles outside box somewhere. But she is spooked.

Peter and I are down there as much as we can. fingers crossed here.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2016, 17:30 »

Due to people on the roof, she was very upset.

our falcons are missing. Peter and I are looking for them

she is egg ready

Oh no - did people really have to come on the roof right at egg laying time!? >:(  :(

If an egg was ready Radisson may have had to lay it wherever she could ... but of course I hope that hasn't happened.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2016, 16:27 »
our falcons are missing. Peter and I are looking for them

she is egg ready

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2016, 12:39 »

Due to people on the roof, she was very upset.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:48 by soaring west »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 23:35 »
here is a vidoe form ground and last few from cam. Things seem ot be going fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-_IWvxsVZ8&feature=youtu.be

Nice slideshow Bev.

Now I've seen how Radisson likes to sit on the moon! ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 19:12 »
The malabars (aka cheek pattern) of Radisson is the same as her Mother Princess. 

and radisson daughter , green girl, at WEber,is same as radisson. if we put them side by side at cams it is unreal. So all 3 are identical

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 16:58 »
The malabars (aka cheek pattern) of Radisson is the same as her Mother Princess. 

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 22:36 »
here is a vidoe form ground and last few from cam. Things seem ot be going fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-_IWvxsVZ8&feature=youtu.be

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 19:19 »
WE are pretty confident that we have RAdisson and Chase. 

Thank you for the good news regarding Chase and Radisson, Bev. It's nice to know they both made it back safely. :D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 16:16 »
I really only have control over identifications of the birds in Manitoba Bev, so I'll put Radisson and Chase on the thread title and rely on you to let me know if you find someone else has returned unbeknownst!!  ;) ;D

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 12:38 »
WE are pretty confident that we have RAdisson and Chase. even though Chase does not have bands, we know. You cannot watch them for years and see all their  habits etc, and not know.

WE also know it was Radisson. She was even on the Moon on Suite hotel

but I knowTracy likes the numbers LOl so I will do my best. Cam is not as clear as i would like for reading but I will get it , either from cam or the ground

and just trust that this is Chase

I think we will have eggs earlier this year

And we did positively ID Green girl at Weber and almost have D01 positively ID . Green girl is radissons daughter , and she replaced my beloved Miss Edmonton , who is sipping cool ones on a beach in south America LOl

will try and do a slideshow for you with pciutres form this year so far. mayube this weekend

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 11:14 »
I'm new to Edmonton, and I am an avid Winnipeg Peregrine fan. 

Is Radisson named after Radisson Hotel in Winnipeg where it would have hatched?
Welcome new chick
I too started out watching the Manitoba nests, until I heard about Edmonton's U  :)of A and the connection it has to Winnipeg . I started going to the nest and meet Bev and Peter , 2 of the finest avid peregrine falcon rescuers here in Edmonton. We have fledge watch for about two weeks in the last part of July and it is dawn to dusk. Come out before that and watch Radisson with the pride that only a transplanted Manitoban can have with a bird.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 18:10 »

Yes - and her band number starts with an R so it is an easy mnemonic :)

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 14:35 »

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 10:14 »
Well Bev and Peter and Trish and Mike and myself tried to ID them last night. It is windy on the parkade and they would not get close enough for that. But she does all the things that Radisson does. Even if she has to chase Chase off her perch. They were hunting together, or should I say she was hunting and Chase looking for a easy supper. lol

Offline bcbird

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 14:14 »
Looking forward to another great season with Radisson.

Offline soaring west

• Chick
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:59 »
We have a falcon back. It was tucked into Radisson sleeping spot. So, we are just waiting for visual ID by tags. But, who in there right mind would go and sleep in her cubbie hole. :)

Offline soaring west

• Chick
U of Alberta - 2016 / Chase & Radisson
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 15:59 »
Come on Radisson
Jean is away( our secret eye in the sky watcher) and we are waiting here for your return