Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 109559 times)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #734 on: September 10, 2016, 09:40 »
I am already beginning to feel the pinch of "empty" nest(s) syndrome! ::) :( :'(

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #733 on: September 07, 2016, 14:39 »

I heard a peregrine calling on the cam (which is still without video) around 2:20 pm and again at 2:27 pm, so if someone happens to be in the downtown area they may be able to see somebirdie in the nearby area.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #732 on: September 07, 2016, 10:54 »
Oh WOW, no fighting please!  :o On the other hand, we can't have interlopers squatting in Princess & Smiley's digs!! They will need it next year.......As opposed to the East Ledge which is of course NOT an option.  :P

Was looking around for anybirdie last evening downtown - Nada. - Would love to see some hunting classes or family outings before they're off for the winter.  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #731 on: September 06, 2016, 16:12 »

Had a long look at the interactions between 1600 and 1800 on Saturday (4th) and I don't believe the chick was a Radisson chick - neither Princess nor Smiley were at all pleased that the chick turned up.  Smiley bombed after him/her (I'm inclined to think him) even before the chick turned up and Princess was being harassed (the flybys were bombings) for more than an hour - because of where the box is located and where she was sitting the harasser couldn't get close enough to be seen on the skycam at that angle.  Not sure if it was the chick or whether it was a parent protecting its chick - Ty, Faith, Joli and Hart are all still in town - have seen them all on camera this weekend at their respective nestsites.  The head markings were very bright and the WW chicks I believe have the brightest heads this year.

Thank you for all the information, TPC!

Unfortunately, it wasn’t good to hear that Smiley and Princess were not pleased and that harassing continued between the birds for quite a while.  :(

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #730 on: September 06, 2016, 16:08 »
Checked the recordings from yesterday and we did have a male visitor in the afternoon (1400h) and it was NOT Smiley.  It is a male we have identified in the past but he's never been identified in Winnipeg before - and most certainly never at the Radisson!

TPC, do you have any further information such as his age or where he’s from?  ???

If he’s searching for a nice home I hope he will find an empty nestbox in Winnipeg … if they’re still available. I wouldn’t want to see any fighting.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #729 on: September 06, 2016, 16:05 »

Checked the recordings from yesterday and we did have a male visitor in the afternoon (1400h) and it was NOT Smiley.  It is a male we have identified in the past but he's never been identified in Winnipeg before - and most certainly never at the Radisson!

Interesting . . . I wonder who it was. There was a male at the nest yesterday morning for a long time. I thought it was Smiley, but now I am wondering if it was.

The cam was working earlier today (no birds visible) but now shows only a test pattern. I wonder if there is a problem with the cam, or if they have taken it down for the year?

Yes Alison, this male visitor is interesting … if you happened to save a pic of the bird you saw yesterday morning, please post!

I don’t believe they’ve taken the camera down as there is normally a different message; also, we still have sound.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #728 on: September 06, 2016, 15:10 »

Interesting . . . I wonder who it was. There was a male at the nest yesterday morning for a long time. I thought it was Smiley, but now I am wondering if it was.

The cam was working earlier today (no birds visible) but now shows only a test pattern. I wonder if there is a problem with the cam, or if they have taken it down for the year?

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #727 on: September 06, 2016, 12:19 »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #726 on: September 06, 2016, 12:12 »
I first saw Princess relaxing on the edge of the nest box at 19:20 yesterday, so I also don’t know how long she had been there. Later, I noticed she was tracking something, then, at 19:58, I saw another bird who appeared to be flying upwards past the nest in a NE direction; Princess was gone within a minute. Unfortunately, since I never noticed my volume was turned down, I missed the vocalizing. It was great to see your videos, RCF!  

Had a long look at the interactions between 1600 and 1800 on Saturday (4th) and I don't believe the chick was a Radisson chick - neither Princess nor Smiley were at all pleased that the chick turned up.  Smiley bombed after him/her (I'm inclined to think him) even before the chick turned up and Princess was being harassed (the flybys were bombings) for more than an hour - because of where the box is located and where she was sitting the harasser couldn't get close enough to be seen on the skycam at that angle.  Not sure if it was the chick or whether it was a parent protecting its chick - Ty, Faith, Joli and Hart are all still in town - have seen them all on camera this weekend at their respective nestsites.  The head markings were very bright and the WW chicks I believe have the brightest heads this year.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #725 on: September 05, 2016, 03:26 »
Princess was at the nest this evening. Not sure when she got there but she was there for at least an hour and a half, she left at 8 pm.

There were a couple of flyby's by at least one chick, it was yelling on the way by.  ;D  Princess was vocalizing and I think Smiley flew past going upwards, pretty sure it was an adult by the colour.

Chick flying by

https://youtu.be/s_jfLJH74Ww

Smiley flying past

https://youtu.be/7HEmXpa2_Lg

I first saw Princess relaxing on the edge of the nest box at 19:20 yesterday, so I also don’t know how long she had been there. Later, I noticed she was tracking something, then, at 19:58, I saw another bird who appeared to be flying upwards past the nest in a NE direction; Princess was gone within a minute. Unfortunately, since I never noticed my volume was turned down, I missed the vocalizing. It was great to see your videos, RCF!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #724 on: September 04, 2016, 20:27 »
Princess was at the nest this evening. Not sure when she got there but she was there for at least an hour and a half, she left at 8 pm.

There were a couple of flyby's by at least one chick, it was yelling on the way by.  ;D  Princess was vocalizing and I think Smiley flew past going upwards, pretty sure it was an adult by the colour.

Chick flying by

https://youtu.be/s_jfLJH74Ww

Smiley flying past

https://youtu.be/7HEmXpa2_Lg

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #723 on: September 04, 2016, 16:54 »

I happened to see a youngster at the nestbox at 1644 hrs today, September 4.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 17:03 by burdi »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #722 on: September 04, 2016, 00:11 »
However - I was on my computer earlier today (very briefly though!) and saw a chick who seemed to be digging around for something to eat - then moved to the NW corner - so I'm hoping there will be enough light for a better view of the left leg band. Good luck!!  :)

TPC, I haven’t seen any recent sightings of the youngsters so I looked back to see when I last spotted a chick; however, I noticed that I hadn’t mentioned the time whatsoever! Anyhow, it was 1214 hrs on August 31 when the chick moved to the NW corner of the nest in a pic I had saved … hope that will help towards finding out who the visiting chick was!  ???

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #721 on: September 03, 2016, 23:37 »

Thank you for posting the pics Alison. It’s always great to see my friend Smiley (or Princess when she feels inclined), but I guess interest is waning for the chicks.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #720 on: September 02, 2016, 23:59 »
I have not seen Princess, but Smiley was there again early yesterday morning: