Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 109617 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #719 on: September 02, 2016, 23:58 »
Smiley at the nest on August 30:

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #718 on: August 31, 2016, 18:31 »
The chick was back at the box again and flew away at 2023 hrs!

Had a look and can't tell who the chick might be ... the light late in the day slants into the nestbox so the camera I can usually see band/tape colours with just can't see through the amount of light.  I'm inclined to say it is a male by the size but we have such variation in size among our females these days that I won't hazard a guess without a bit more information (like tape colour).  What I can tell you is that just before the chick hopped into the nestbox at 1814h ish, there was a second chick that dive-bombed him/her as they sat on the nestledge.  Even less of a chance to guess who the second chick was I'm afraid  :)

Very interesting about the second chick just before 1814h ish yesterday; I missed all that, so thanks for mentioning, TPC.  :D

I’ve been having serious computer problems lately and have not been able to watch or comment much … yes, I’m on now but not having a lot of fun … will have to restore when I find some time - maybe tonight (not sure), but in the event I disappear again at least you’ll have an idea what happened.  ;D

However - I was on my computer earlier today (very briefly though!) and saw a chick who seemed to be digging around for something to eat - then moved to the NW corner - so I'm hoping there will be enough light for a better view of the left leg band. Good luck!!  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #717 on: August 31, 2016, 18:24 »

The chick was only there a couple of minutes.  :)

https://youtu.be/asocpkAxFwQ

https://youtu.be/wyeQgfybc_I

Thank you for posting these videos from yesterday evening, RCF.  :D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #716 on: August 31, 2016, 13:50 »

Had a look and can't tell who the chick might be ... the light late in the day slants into the nestbox so the camera I can usually see band/tape colours with just can't see through the amount of light.  I'm inclined to say it is a male by the size but we have such variation in size among our females these days that I won't hazard a guess without a bit more information (like tape colour).  What I can tell you is that just before the chick hopped into the nestbox at 1814h ish, there was a second chick that dive-bombed him/her as they sat on the nestledge.  Even less of a chance to guess who the second chick was I'm afraid  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #715 on: August 31, 2016, 13:35 »
I haven't had much chance to watch lately and wondered if anyone has seen Princess in the last couple of days? Have you seen Princess or checked the recording since you last spotted her, TPC?  ???  

Haven't seen Princess on camera but she usually doesn't hang out at the nestbox and I haven't been panning around much over the last few days, been on the road.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #714 on: August 31, 2016, 05:14 »

The chick was only there a couple of minutes.  :)

https://youtu.be/asocpkAxFwQ

https://youtu.be/wyeQgfybc_I

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #713 on: August 30, 2016, 20:32 »

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #712 on: August 30, 2016, 18:30 »
I haven't had much chance to watch lately and wondered if anyone has seen Princess in the last couple of days? Have you seen Princess or checked the recording since you last spotted her, TPC?  ???

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #711 on: August 30, 2016, 18:24 »
There was a chick in the box a few minutes ago (at 1814 hrs for sure). Could you please check who this was, TPC?  ???

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #710 on: August 29, 2016, 00:27 »
Princess in the nestbox - don't think she is particularly impressed by the debris - she started to scrape but wouldn't actually get down ... poor Princess!!

Yes, poor Princess, she was probably hoping all that debris would have disappeared before she got back from wherever she was! Poor, poor Princess … standing there looking at all that stuff in her way - and poor Smiley too - I’m sure he didn’t mean to make so much mess (again). ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #709 on: August 28, 2016, 16:25 »
Princess in the nestbox - don't think she is particularly impressed by the debris - she started to scrape but wouldn't actually get down ... poor Princess!!

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #708 on: August 26, 2016, 18:07 »
Fabulous!! - It's not often we see them together like that after the chicks have fledged!  :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #707 on: August 26, 2016, 11:29 »
But where oh where can our Princess be? I hope she's not getting comfortable on the east ledge ... has anyone seen her lately? I'm getting worried.  ???

These pics are for you, burdi. This looks like Princess:

Then Smiley flew in at high speed, and they did a little bowing and bonding:

Smiley left, followed almost immediately by Princess.

Thank you for the great pics, Alison! I missed seeing all of what you caught and now feel much better knowing that Princess has actually been around, so I very much appreciate this. It’s very interesting to watch their interactions with each other at any time, but seeing a peregrine bonding session is just so special!  :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #706 on: August 25, 2016, 19:30 »
But where oh where can our Princess be? I hope she's not getting comfortable on the east ledge ... has anyone seen her lately? I'm getting worried.  ???

These pics are for you, burdi. This looks like Princess:

Then Smiley flew in at high speed, and they did a little bowing and bonding:

Smiley left, followed almost immediately by Princess.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 20:23 by Alison »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #705 on: August 25, 2016, 19:21 »
Smiley (I think) has been spending a lot of time at the nest recently.

Today he made several visits: