Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 112051 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #674 on: August 11, 2016, 11:41 »
It continues to be very quiet downtown ... but I expect Smiley to start hanging out more at the nestbox as we get closer to September ... will be interesting to see if he and Joli "date" again after Princess leaves ....

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #673 on: August 07, 2016, 02:56 »
Someone at the nest a little after 1:00 a.m. Winnipeg time:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #672 on: August 06, 2016, 20:35 »

This is Smiley - he's larger than our recent resident males and he looks more like Princess but for his full black head.

These two are of Princess - this bird is larger - she is at the far end of the nestbox and still looks bigger than the other bird.  Her crown is also visible in these pictures and his cap is full black.

Thank you for these answers, TPC. It's good to know who is who in the pics. I am not so familiar with Smiley; he certainly is a handsome tiercel.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #671 on: August 06, 2016, 20:31 »

I should mention a bit about how I arrived at Smiley regarding the pics in question. First, I really do think that was Smiley in the pic posted at 15:31, but I’m still undecided about the two pics posted at 15:29. The malar stripe on Smiley does not match what I see on the left side of the bird in the top pic, and the bird in the pic also appears a bit large, so going with that, I would have said this is Princess. However, I decided to say Smiley since this bird appears to have a very white chest; I’ve also considered things which can make a bird’s markings look very unclear - such as angle, light and distance. It’s happened before, so at times I’m somewhat doubtful as to whether or not what I’m seeing at such a distance is true. Oh well, I look forward to finding out exactly who the birds are in Alison’s pics (no rush of course!). :)

Burdi, thank you so much for trying to figure out which birds were in the pics I posted. I really appreciate it! I have seen so little of the birds this year (especially Smiley) that it is difficult to be sure.

It would be great to hear of any recent sightings of the juvies.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #670 on: August 03, 2016, 20:07 »
Sorry folks been out-of-touch a bit - real life and all that ...

This is Smiley - he's larger than our recent resident males and he looks more like Princess but for his full black head.

These two are of Princess - this bird is larger - she is at the far end of the nestbox and still looks bigger than the other bird.  Her crown is also visible in these pictures and his cap is full black.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #669 on: August 01, 2016, 02:02 »

I should mention a bit about how I arrived at Smiley regarding the pics in question. First, I really do think that was Smiley in the pic posted at 15:31, but I’m still undecided about the two pics posted at 15:29. The malar stripe on Smiley does not match what I see on the left side of the bird in the top pic, and the bird in the pic also appears a bit large, so going with that, I would have said this is Princess. However, I decided to say Smiley since this bird appears to have a very white chest; I’ve also considered things which can make a bird’s markings look very unclear - such as angle, light and distance. It’s happened before, so at times I’m somewhat doubtful as to whether or not what I’m seeing at such a distance is true. Oh well, I look forward to finding out exactly who the birds are in Alison’s pics (no rush of course!). :)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #668 on: July 31, 2016, 16:02 »
A pic I had saved previously; would like to know who this is.

Someone at the nest box a few minutes ago: I am not sure who this is.

I haven’t seen the experts who can answer our questions around here lately, Alison, though I hope they’re well and simply enjoying a much deserved break! I understand you’re wanting an answer as to who is in the pics (which I do not have), but hopefully you won’t mind too much as I’d like to try a guess while waiting for our experts to return.

I often find it difficult to distinguish this pair from a distance; however, my best guess is that Smiley is the bird in your pic at 15:31, and Smiley is also the bird in your two pics at 15:29.

Alison, it’s unlikely that guesses will be helpful to you or anyone else, but if you should get an answer, then I may also find out if I’m getting any better or worse!

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #667 on: July 28, 2016, 10:49 »
Love to see them return home now and then! - I saw some-birdie there yesterday at 7:15pm. Waiting for the bus is the best and only way I get to see them. - Although I could have sworn a kiddie swooped over my house this morning - North West St James - it was the 'caw-ing' that got my attention. :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #666 on: July 27, 2016, 15:31 »
A pic I had saved previously; would like to know who this is.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #665 on: July 27, 2016, 15:29 »
Someone at the nest box a few minutes ago: I am not sure who this is.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #664 on: July 26, 2016, 14:25 »
Not really surprising, the nestbox is foul!!!  When it dries out a bit I think I might try to bribe Dennis into joining me to clean out the nestbox so the adults can enjoy it for a couple of months before they head south.  Once they have left we are going to change out the gravel entirely. 

TPC, I suppose you haven’t tried to bribe Dennis to clean out the nestbox before the birds leave … or could it be that the bribing still hasn’t quite worked??  :D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #663 on: July 26, 2016, 13:59 »
Smiley has been back to hang out on the box edge in the dark of the night - wouldn't know who it was except by the size and the flash of white on his breast.

Princess was hanging out on the west side sign this morning ... nice to see her ...
Another pic of Princess this morning. Good to see her.

Nice to see the pics of Princess from yesterday morning, TPC and Alison. I saw an adult at 12:14 pm yesterday, but he or she left so quickly I barely had a chance to focus (Smiley perhaps though size appeared a bit large at a glance); in any case, it’s good to know that Smiley and Princess were both very recently identified.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #662 on: July 25, 2016, 08:54 »
Another pic of Princess this morning. Good to see her.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #661 on: July 25, 2016, 08:15 »
Smiley has been back to hang out on the box edge in the dark of the night - wouldn't know who it was except by the size and the flash of white on his breast.

Princess was hanging out on the west side sign this morning ... nice to see her ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #660 on: July 22, 2016, 13:16 »
CBC cam is still running. Thought I would take a look. Sun is baking the remains and making pigeon jerky.  :P