Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 112179 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #644 on: July 15, 2016, 18:23 »
Heads up folks, the CBC Manitoba FalconCam will be going off-line any time now as neither the chicks or adults are dropping by these days.

Not really surprising, the nestbox is foul!!!  When it dries out a bit I think I might try to bribe Dennis into joining me to clean out the nestbox so the adults can enjoy it for a couple of months before they head south.  Once they have left we are going to change out the gravel entirely. 

Cleaning out the nestbox sounds like a great plan!

Won't change the gravel before Smiley leaves however, he tends to poop in the box when he sits on the box edge.  Princess is much more dignified - she poops off the front onto the roof of the building below ... and probably occasionally one of the maintenance workers if they are very very lucky.  So we'll change the gravel in the fall when they aren't around quite so much - don't want the poop to freeze over the winter!

Princess being much more dignified as she poops off the front onto … ;D

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #643 on: July 15, 2016, 17:18 »
Only one very brief visit to the nestbox by one of the adults. Have moved the skycam onto the nestbox again even though someone may visit the ledge - I can see the ledge from our ledge-cam, but I can't identify any of the birds at the box unless I'm zoomed in.

That's okay with me even though I'm the one who asked you to change the view, and I agree it's better to focus on the nestbox awhile; I also understand the cam won’t be up much longer …

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 17:33 by burdi »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #642 on: July 14, 2016, 17:37 »
Only one very brief visit to the nestbox by one of the adults. Have moved the skycam onto the nestbox again even though someone may visit the ledge - I can see the ledge from our ledge-cam, but I can't identify any of the birds at the box unless I'm zoomed in.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #641 on: July 13, 2016, 18:58 »
Heads up folks, the CBC Manitoba FalconCam will be going off-line any time now as neither the chicks or adults are dropping by these days.

Not really surprising, the nestbox is foul!!!  When it dries out a bit I think I might try to bribe Dennis into joining me to clean out the nestbox so the adults can enjoy it for a couple of months before they head south.  Once they have left we are going to change out the gravel entirely. 

Won't change the gravel before Smiley leaves however, he tends to poop in the box when he sits on the box edge.  Princess is much more dignified - she poops off the front onto the roof of the building below ... and probably occasionally one of the maintenance workers if they are very very lucky.  So we'll change the gravel in the fall when they aren't around quite so much - don't want the poop to freeze over the winter!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #640 on: July 13, 2016, 17:51 »
All great portraits!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #639 on: July 13, 2016, 11:51 »
2016 Radisson Chick Portrait

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #638 on: July 13, 2016, 08:48 »
I got the cam this morning. Nobirdie at the nest on this soggy day.  :-\

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #637 on: July 12, 2016, 14:45 »
Glad to know that the chicks are still being seen from time to time. I have not seen any of them yesterday or today. Most of yesterday I had only a solid black rectangle where the image should be, and this morning I could not access the cam at all.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #636 on: July 12, 2016, 05:02 »
You actually explained the signal problem clearly, TPC. :) Sorry to have confused you, but I see my question wasn’t clear.

Perhaps I should have asked if anyone had been trying to rectify the problem; also, since I can’t recall this issue, I was wondering when it began. ???  ???

Glad to hear it was my wires crossed as opposed to a failure in being able to describe something!!
I realized there was a problem the first time I tried to switch to the ledge cam and saw the test pattern - was within the first week after the cam went live.  Given that we generally don't need the ledge cam until the chicks are close to fledging, I focused on getting the streaming working and thought I would worry about the ledge cam after that.  As you all well know, streaming continues to be an issue, so I let the ledge cam issue slide particularly when the chicks didn't venture there but a couple of times before they bolted and I had the skycam to fill in the gap so to speak.  And since I could still access the ledge cam, if something looked really good, I knew I could post a video as an alternative.

Okay, so now I get it, and I understand your reasoning as well. By the way, this description was also perfectly clear! ;D Thank you.

Too bad it happened this year though … oh well, I guess that’s life, but good thing you used the option to “zoom out to catch most of the ledge”. Here’s hoping for next year!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #635 on: July 12, 2016, 00:27 »
You actually explained the signal problem clearly, TPC. :) Sorry to have confused you, but I see my question wasn’t clear.

Perhaps I should have asked if anyone had been trying to rectify the problem; also, since I can’t recall this issue, I was wondering when it began. ???  ???

Glad to hear it was my wires crossed as opposed to a failure in being able to describe something!!
I realized there was a problem the first time I tried to switch to the ledge cam and saw the test pattern - was within the first week after the cam went live.  Given that we generally don't need the ledge cam until the chicks are close to fledging, I focused on getting the streaming working and thought I would worry about the ledge cam after that.  As you all well know, streaming continues to be an issue, so I let the ledge cam issue slide particularly when the chicks didn't venture there but a couple of times before they bolted and I had the skycam to fill in the gap so to speak.  And since I could still access the ledge cam, if something looked really good, I knew I could post a video as an alternative.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #634 on: July 11, 2016, 14:24 »
GREAT to hear the kids are coming home!!!! 😁😁😁

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #633 on: July 10, 2016, 23:10 »

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 01:12 by burdi »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #632 on: July 10, 2016, 21:01 »
Any chance of switching the cam to ledge view, TPC? ???

Unfortunately not, the CBC site doesn't seem to like the signal and all we get is a test pattern ... but I can zoom out to catch most of the ledge ...

Thank you TPC. The zoomed out view is much better for spotting any visitors on the ledge. I suppose the visit I saw was just a quick teaser, but it might have been a parting goodbye from a lengthy visit. If the CBC site doesn’t seem to like the signal then I guess that even if several chicks were coming to the ledge this year we couldn't watch them close-up (as we did a few years back). Hmm, I’m wondering if I’ve forgotten about a problem with the ledge cam ... though something is very vaguely coming back to me ... when did it stop working?

Hmm, I’m wondering if I’ve forgotten about a problem with the ledge cam ... though something is very vaguely coming back to me ... when did it stop working?

I asked this question on July 5 and now that I’m thinking of it again, I just wonder if you might have missed it, TPC. ???

Sorry guess I didn't explain properly about the ledge cam - the camera works just fine for us the problem is that the streaming software used to compress the signal for viewing online can't seem to translate the feed and so as a result all that shows online when I switch the feed to the ledge cam is a test pattern.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #631 on: July 10, 2016, 20:01 »
Any chance of switching the cam to ledge view, TPC? ???  

Unfortunately not, the CBC site doesn't seem to like the signal and all we get is a test pattern ... but I can zoom out to catch most of the ledge ...

Thank you TPC. The zoomed out view is much better for spotting any visitors on the ledge. I suppose the visit I saw was just a quick teaser, but it might have been a parting goodbye from a lengthy visit. If the CBC site doesn’t seem to like the signal then I guess that even if several chicks were coming to the ledge this year we couldn't watch them close-up (as we did a few years back). Hmm, I’m wondering if I’ve forgotten about a problem with the ledge cam ... though something is very vaguely coming back to me ... when did it stop working?

Hmm, I’m wondering if I’ve forgotten about a problem with the ledge cam ... though something is very vaguely coming back to me ... when did it stop working?

I asked this question on July 5 and now that I’m thinking of it again, I just wonder if you might have missed it, TPC. ???

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #630 on: July 10, 2016, 19:07 »
Just to let you know there was a birdie running the ledge and jumping in the box. Then there were two, and now just one.

A parent may have brought food because the other one looked to be working on something in the box. Maybe this year will be similar to 2012 when McDermot kept returning to the nest. :)