Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 112038 times)

Offline sparkster

• Phanatic
  • Chick
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #599 on: July 03, 2016, 15:41 »
Good news that you have located the chicks, TPC!  ;D It was difficult a couple of years ago when the chicks weren't able to be found after they left the nest and we could only hope that they were ok. I hope these guys cooperate with our wishes and hang around the vicinity of the Radisson or, preferably, return to the ledge for visits.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #598 on: July 03, 2016, 13:12 »
WONDERFUL news!!!  All together!  ;D ;D  - They must be learning to fly pretty well to achieve that TPC?? Hope they go back to the nest now and then. What a great season it has been!!  8) 8)

They appear to be doing very well - the Alt Hotel (according to what I can find) is 20 storeys high, and if they can come and go from that height then they have figured out how to use their wings to go up as well as away and have figured out how to use the lift that forms next to buildings to land on the top.

Whether or not they will return to the nestbox - I wouldn't, its a mess! but the ledge might be of more interest - particularly as it is concrete so cooler and in the shade for part of the day.  But Smiley's and Princess' other kids (Vimy & Chappell) never did return, so we will just have to wait and see.

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #597 on: July 03, 2016, 12:32 »
WONDERFUL news!!!  All together!  ;D ;D  - They must be learning to fly pretty well to achieve that TPC?? Hope they go back to the nest now and then. What a great season it has been!!  8) 8)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #596 on: July 03, 2016, 11:55 »
1155h - three chicks back at the Alt Hotel ... not sure they will stay long but who knows if they have somewhere they want to go to ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #595 on: July 03, 2016, 11:09 »
Just as an FYI - these chicks are 44 and 45 days old as of today.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #594 on: July 03, 2016, 10:39 »
Wonderful to be able to see them all together again!  Thanks for finding them, TPC!  This downtown hotel was an annoyance to the birds while it was being built, if I recall correctly and now it seems, is a perfect second stage fledging platform :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #593 on: July 03, 2016, 10:27 »
1025h - found the kids - they are fine.  They are all together again on the roof of the Alt Hotel.  Two are on the north side and the third is lying down on the eastside.  They have managed to stay up at the 20 storey mark for the last 24-72 hours which is great - and they are all back together.  Alt Hotel has a nice roof for them, I can see why they like it (good for fledging, not so for nesting).  Wide wall around the edge and metal which can make it warm to sleep on.  Buildings around are lower or about the same height and north and south there are clear flight routes for long distances and they can circle around and gain altitude.  And they can see the nestsite and the Hydro Building which is where the adults like to sit.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #592 on: July 02, 2016, 22:13 »
All quiet at the nestbox and on the nestledge today ... there was a flyby the nestbox by two birds, or one bird twice, just before 2000h ... looked more consistently dark than the adults (no flashes of light/white) but it was a fast flyby ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #591 on: July 02, 2016, 11:50 »
Thanks for the cam view showing the chick(s).  :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #590 on: July 02, 2016, 11:19 »
1113h - I think from the behaviour, Nellie is on the roof of the Alt Hotel across & west from the Radisson.  Think she wishes to be elsewhere and she's contemplating if/how/when to go

Perhaps she's rethinking her fledge and misses the shade.

There is shade on the roof so probably not that  :D - but her father is on the Hydro building at the moment and for all I know, Cora and Dixon are maybe just as close - she will want to get to someone after being alone in the nestbox for a couple of days ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #589 on: July 02, 2016, 11:17 »
1113h - I think from the behaviour, Nellie is on the roof of the Alt Hotel across & west from the Radisson.  Think she wishes to be elsewhere and she's contemplating if/how/when to go

Perhaps she's rethinking her fledge and misses the shade.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #588 on: July 02, 2016, 11:15 »
Thanks for sharing this video, TPC! Great to see a "bird's eye view of the fireworks. ;D

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #587 on: July 02, 2016, 11:14 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #586 on: July 02, 2016, 11:01 »
thanks for the great light show last night!

You are welcome but I can only take some of the credit  ;)
For those who were watching fireworks in person you can check out the fireworks as the peregrines see them HERE - we were able to watch parts of both displays - the one at Assiniboine Park and the one at the Forks ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #585 on: July 02, 2016, 10:58 »
Smiley on the Radisson sign right below the nestbox ... seems pretty unconcerned for a dad who's kids have just fledged.  Could be he's just not that kind of a dad, or he can see them where we can't with the camera and he knows they are doing what young peregrines do ...