Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 111998 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #524 on: June 29, 2016, 10:51 »
Dixon decided to "drop" by and check out the RWB - well, their parking garage.  He looked fine and fiesty but decided to get him checked out by the ever wonderful folks at Wildlife Haven.  Won't be for a couple of hours though so he's destressing somewhere cool and quiet until they check him out.  If he needs a more thorough exam or some care, he'll be heading out to Haven, if not, I'll get him back on the Radisson, likely this evening when he's more likely to stay put for the night ...

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #523 on: June 29, 2016, 10:41 »
Only see one birdie now  ??? - need an update from TPC - maybe she's out looking for Dixon?  8)

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #522 on: June 29, 2016, 10:19 »
At this moment they are both at the NW corner of the nest ledge. It seems that for the last couple of days, Nellie was wingercizing with her back facing the drop off. I'm not surprised she fell yesterday. She continues to do so and hopefully when she successfully fledges, she will get it right.  ::)

I see the caterer has delivered an abundance of pigeons. :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:20 by GCG »

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #521 on: June 29, 2016, 10:16 »
Both girls are still in the box and I see it is raining there now.  Both are on the north side, can't see one for the other.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:19 by RCF »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #520 on: June 29, 2016, 09:14 »
Looks like the two girls in the nest box this morning. Is there any update on Dixon? I hope the little guy is okay.

After a few minutes, the cam froze. The last pic, from a few minutes ago, shows only one chick. The cam froze again immediately. I had been looking forward to following the chicks on cam this year, but the cam very rarely works for more than a second or two. Very disappointing.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #519 on: June 29, 2016, 00:24 »
Do you know where they found her, TPC?

Portage and Hargrave - think she may have tried a second hop - which could explain why she was okay.  Or maybe not ... She wasn't there when I went by or maybe she was hiding nearby and came out after I went past...

I’m very thankful to the people who kept the chick safe until you were able to get her into a carrier, especially since traffic is very heavy in that area! Who knows where Nellie could have ended up if not for them.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #518 on: June 28, 2016, 23:14 »
Checked the recorder and he was chasing a parent as they buzzed by which is exactly what we want them to do!  He is somewhere between 39 and 41 days old, so more than old enough to take his first flight - I suspect he stayed this long because of his sisters!

Thank you for checking the recording, TPC. All the freezing and stuttering make it very difficult (if not impossible) to tell where these birds really are.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #517 on: June 28, 2016, 23:03 »

Interestingly, Cora and Nellie both won with 62 votes each, Dixon won with 63 votes.  Thanks everyone for voting!!

I accidentally missed out on voting this year. :( In any case, they’re very nice names. :)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #516 on: June 28, 2016, 22:39 »
One of the girls, pretty sure Cora, staying up late and hanging out on the box edge tonight

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #515 on: June 28, 2016, 21:57 »
Sorry I couldn't say which female chick was which when she went down, didn't have my records with me and couldn't remember the tape colours on their bands.  Dixon is of course our male for this year (red tape on left leg) and Nellie is our girl who had the adventure today (no tape so her band so her left leg shows silver) and Cora is the sister who remained safe behind (blue tape on left leg).

Interestingly, Cora and Nellie both won with 62 votes each, Dixon won with 63 votes.  Thanks everyone for voting!!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #514 on: June 28, 2016, 21:26 »
Am hijacking the cam to look for Dixon - couldn't find him anywhere so likely he's fine and tucking down for the night.

Checked the recorder and he was chasing a parent as they buzzed by which is exactly what we want them to do!  He is somewhere between 39 and 41 days old, so more than old enough to take his first flight - I suspect he stayed this long because of his sisters!

Lots of folks are all primed to watch out for downed chicks, so if he does run into trouble, he's likely to be reported quickly!

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #513 on: June 28, 2016, 21:23 »

She's back and the male is gone.  Just flew off like he knew exactly what he was doing.  

I saw that Susha, but I could hear the parents screaming and the noise at the back door before he left (so maybe that caused him to leave). At least he appeared to fly off, rather than falling. However, with the video freezing so much today it’s very difficult to know for sure.

I know, Burdi, the freezing is very frustrating!  I've been fortunate this afternoon at work and then and this evening at home...all seems to be smooth...

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #512 on: June 28, 2016, 21:15 »
The parents were screaming as TPC came to the box to release the girl, then he flew off quite deliberately, likely because TPC was at the box, but I think he was ready.  Definitely didn't fall like his sister...

Who continues to hang off the edge and flap her wings  ::)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #511 on: June 28, 2016, 21:04 »

She's back and the male is gone.  Just flew off like he knew exactly what he was doing.  

I saw that Susha, but I could hear the parents screaming and the noise at the back door before he left (so maybe that caused him to leave). At least he appeared to fly off, rather than falling. However, with the video freezing so much today it’s very difficult to know for sure.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #510 on: June 28, 2016, 21:00 »
I sure hope so, but to me he appeared to go straight down from the front of the box (not the side).
So glad you caught that!