Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 112104 times)

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #389 on: June 15, 2016, 19:09 »
Happened to catch both the removal and the return of the birds on the Webcam.
Tracy mentioned the gender when she put them back.

Ok,  I couldn't watch because the cam doesn't work for me most of the time. Terribly frustrating but Oh Well!  sucks to be me!! ::) :-X

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #388 on: June 15, 2016, 13:01 »
These "little" guys have been scrappy from the start!  Hilarious banding adventures TPC!  Another chapter to that book you're writing ;D

Offline ballywing

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #387 on: June 15, 2016, 10:08 »
2 Gals and 1 Bloke! - Fabulous!! Great job all of you!!  ;D

Offline PrairieSailor

• Hatchling
« Reply #386 on: June 15, 2016, 09:47 »
Happened to catch both the removal and the return of the birds on the Webcam.
Tracy mentioned the gender when she put them back.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #385 on: June 15, 2016, 06:25 »
Your description of the banding certainly succeeded in giving me a visual. Thanks, TPC, Dr. Bob, Dennis and Eye Spy! I look forward to the videos and photos.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #384 on: June 15, 2016, 05:57 »
Thanks for the play-by-play, TPC.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #383 on: June 14, 2016, 23:59 »
Wow! Thanks for all the details of the Radisson banding today, TPC. Certainly made for interesting reading. 8)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #382 on: June 14, 2016, 19:21 »
And before I head off - yes we will have a name the chicks contest - and yes it will be up and running in the next couple of days.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #381 on: June 14, 2016, 19:14 »
I should mention that the Radisson chicks are behemoth's this year - much larger than chicks under Ivy or Trey!!  I think that Smiley may have given this batch no babies a super-sizer gene and I think a gene with Terminator's attitude which when combined with Princess' somewhat dominant genes may have produced chicks who if they survive the next 12-18 months will be let's say, challenging, for whomever needs to work with them or band their chicks.  Nice to have peregrines that stand their ground in the face of all comers, but they can make your life difficult in the process and even as they are creating dynasty in the peregrine world.

So banding all done, we did a quick clean of the nestbox - we got a couple of bugs on us during the banding - the chicks weren't infested just living in a very messy nest-box.  We'll be changing out the gravel at the end of this year!  So we chatted with whomever was viewing the nestbox while we worked.  And then we popped the chicks (blood on heir toes and all) back into the nestbox and back into the care of their parents.

A bit of packing up and we were out of there and off to band the Logan chicks - and I'll continue that story over on the Logan thread in a little while - must make dinner.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #380 on: June 14, 2016, 18:57 »
Bandage in place, bit of blood (and sweat by this point) wiped up and we started over. Camera up and on, chick out of the bucket and more firmly in hand, and off we went yet again.  We had the usual problems with the thick metal on the new batch of male bands but the rest went fine and no more wounds. Next up was what I thought was the noisier of the two females (it wasn't) and the bands went on with no more than the usual fiddling and she never shut up which even though it is a small room echoes!  I hoping that won't be a problem on the recording.  We also had to do the recording in segments because the video camera won't record more than 9 minutes because of the file size produced - so we recorded each chick individually and I'll edit hem back into a single recording if I can before uploading it to the web.  Third chick was also a female and yes, loser and noisier than her siblings. I hunk my ears were hurting as much as my scratches by the end!! ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #379 on: June 14, 2016, 18:45 »
We decided to start with the lone male chick well because he was the lone male chick and seemed somewhat feisty.  So on went the video camera, Dennis was ready with his camera and I retrieved him from the pail and that is when the bloodletting began.  He latched onto both Dr Bob and me and had no intention of letting go.  It was just one more scratch and a wee puncture for me but the little so-and-so got hold of Dr Bob and really scratched him so off when the video camera and down went Dennis camera and back into the pail went miscreant and we set Bob up with a styling bandage consisting of Kleenex and some purple, owl-patterned duck tape I bought for Dennis a couple of Christmases ago.  We were just starting a banding double-header so we wanted to make sure Bob's hand stayed clean - peregrine chicks are not clean little beasties much of the time.  So when are watching the video (no it hasn't been posted yet - haven't been home long enough - and more on that later) if you see something odd on Bob's hand you will know what and why ...

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #378 on: June 14, 2016, 18:33 »
So, we had all the gear to band and record so that was all good.   Busy morning at the Hotel so we needed to wait a bit until we could get access to the roof.  Then we set everything everything up and got ready to go out to the box but checked the camera first so we had some idea where everyone was - and we could only see 2 chicks and had to seek expert advice from EyeSpy who fortunately can multitask like a pro! Should have known that was going to be the first of many hiccups.  So small tech tweak and we couldn't see the third chick on the balcony so that meant it had to be under its siblings somewhere. So off we when and opened up the box and 1, 2, 3 - perfect.  That's when the bloodletting began - all three little darlings (not) hacked and slashed as I scooped them out of the nestbox.  since the Twitter feed does fun along with the cam image I left a note for the chicks' fans about their absence.  And off we went back inside.  Had the camera all set up and tested so all we needed to do was get the bands prepped by this point we knew we had 2 ginormous females and 1 ginormous male (all relatively speaking of course).  Now we were ready to go ...

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #377 on: June 14, 2016, 18:32 »
It was a long day of banding at Radisson and Logan - not as smooth and easy as in previous years so first chance to post any thing was after a shower to get sweat, blood and some sort of cleaning product off me (yup long day)

Prairie Sailor may have heard when we were returning chicks to the box - I was talking to folks and chicks as we put the little terrors back in the nestbox.  Moo star and RCF are correct the first time I posted anything was on Twitter, then had to chat with the folks at Up to Speed on CBC then find the power cord for my phone to get here ... Finally!

Here's the interview chat with Tracy on Up to Speed on CBC this afternoon..

https://soundcloud.com/carolyn52/tpc-banding-interview-june-14-2016

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #376 on: June 14, 2016, 18:20 »
It was a long day of banding at Radisson and Logan - not as smooth and easy as in previous years so first chance to post any thing was after a shower to get sweat, blood and some sort of cleaning product off me (yup long day)

Prairie Sailor may have heard when we were returning chicks to the box - I was talking to folks and chicks as we put the little terrors back in the nestbox.  Moo star and RCF are correct the first time I posted anything was on Twitter, then had to chat with the folks at Up to Speed on CBC then find the power cord for my phone to get here ... Finally!

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #375 on: June 14, 2016, 18:05 »
Has anything been posted on number of girls / boys yet.

2 female - 1 male.

How did you know? Were you at the banding? If you were, lucky you!  Tracy only posted on her Twitter feed at five the gender of the chicks.

The Peregrine Chick
‏@mbperegrines   
Radisson - and 3 blood-thirsty chicks - 2 females, 1 male - all loud as heck & ready to rumble right from the start (= scratches) #mbfalcons

5:05 PM - 14 Jun 2016

https://twitter.com/mbperegrines/status/742840500562972675