Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 112037 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #314 on: May 31, 2016, 14:24 »
Video from today - nice (small) meal video with some chick time at the end.

YouTube video = Teenagers

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #313 on: May 31, 2016, 11:49 »
Finally managed to get the cam. Our babies are hugging together, long wings drooping off their shoulders like a shawl. They are still so spotlessly white. Adorable. :-*

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #312 on: May 31, 2016, 11:33 »
I have seen the "caterer" drop off several appe"teasers" today.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #311 on: May 31, 2016, 11:30 »
"Hi, I'm in the penthouse suite. Please send up housekeeping!" (Another summer of mess? My previous husband was so neat and tidy.) ;D

Driving me crazy to watch ... especially looking at Ty's and Faith's nice clean nest.  As I recall, Beatrix and Ty kept a pretty clean box as well, but the wind helped with that - their box is much more exposed than the Radisson.

We'll give it a bit of a tidy when we retrieve the chicks for banding ...

Poor Smiley ... well I'm sure you and Princess enjoy the all-inclusive perks in your penthouse - including housekeeping - but someone must remember to remove the "do not disturb" sign a little more often.  ;)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #310 on: May 31, 2016, 09:17 »
"Hi, I'm in the penthouse suite. Please send up housekeeping!" (Another summer of mess? My previous husband was so neat and tidy.) ;D

Driving me crazy to watch ... especially looking at Ty's and Faith's nice clean nest.  As I recall, Beatrix and Ty kept a pretty clean box as well, but the wind helped with that - their box is much more exposed than the Radisson.

We'll give it a bit of a tidy when we retrieve the chicks for banding ...

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #309 on: May 31, 2016, 08:06 »
 :o  The chicks are growing leaps and bounds! They seemed to have doubled in size overnight.

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #308 on: May 30, 2016, 08:48 »
I am so glad things are going well here

have nto had a chance to watch cam too much as I am hopping but I am so happy princess is here again.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #307 on: May 29, 2016, 21:44 »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #306 on: May 29, 2016, 11:20 »
Hi,
i noticed that one of the babies has a dark mark on his/her little head, and I was wondering if it is an injury or is that his feathers starting to change color?

Too early for flight feathers to be showing through, that will take a couple more weeks.  Likely just a bit of dinner, or a pellet or some other piece of debris stuck on him/her.  I'm afraid it is not an unusual occurrence, especially after mealtimes.  One of the most beautiful photos of a sleeping chick pile almost wasn't because of a pellet stuck on the top of one of the 2-3 day old chicks' head.  We were there to check for a leak in the box roof (there wasn't one, just looked like it) so Dennis was able to get photos before and after I carefully removed the pellet.  ;D

And yes, Maltese, I will take a second look through the recordings to see what I can see - but what I saw this morning, nothing leapt out at me as being a problem.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #305 on: May 29, 2016, 11:02 »
Different view of the box ...

Chicks are 10 days old, able to thermoregulate except in extremes (sunshade or umbrella) and Princess is able to kick back and relax a bit ... Princess is on the box edge, chick in a pile right at the boundary between inside and outside.  Princess had been standing earlier with just her head sticking out, something we've seen for years, given half a chance, she prefers outside to in.  She's been getting better about the "in" over the last few years though which is nice to see - easier on her and on whatever she's incubating/brooding.  The boys never seem to have a problem, they just tuck down and get going.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #304 on: May 29, 2016, 10:59 »
In my previous post I mentioned that one chick tried to self-feed (thought it was cute!) and in case you check recording TPC, 1657h could be wrong - didn't save screenshot in time, so maybe 1647h or earlier. I haven't been watching feedings lately so was a bit surprised, but don't know if this is early or the norm.

I'll go back and see if I can find it ...

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #303 on: May 29, 2016, 09:57 »
I managed to get a frozen picture on the cam, this morning. I saw a partial bird carcass and the kids seem to be out and about.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #302 on: May 29, 2016, 00:29 »
In my previous post I mentioned that one chick tried to self-feed (thought it was cute!) and in case you check recording TPC, 1657h could be wrong - didn't save screenshot in time, so maybe 1647h or earlier. I haven't been watching feedings lately so was a bit surprised, but don't know if this is early or the norm.

Offline Liz

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #301 on: May 28, 2016, 21:31 »
You know they're getting strong when they go on a trip - out from under the roof!  ;D

Offline maltese

• Egg
« Reply #300 on: May 28, 2016, 19:11 »
Hi,
i noticed that one of the babies has a dark mark on his/her little head, and I was wondering if it is an injury or is that his feathers starting to change color?