Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 112042 times)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2016, 10:48 »
I like Smiley - really likes the chicks and more of homebody than some males HOWEVER he still sucks as a provider.  Today is a perfect example, first meal was at 0127h and tiny - fit entirely in one talon.  Next meal was at 0506 and it was again, a talon full - Princess picked at it twice trying to find food to feed the kids.  Third meal was at 0608h, small bird without head (might have been 0506h delivery) but still with wings and feet so looked larger than it was - to my eye, half (or less than half) the size of a pigeon.  She fed it all to the chicks.  Fourth meal was at 0840h an it was a wing from crying out loud, there's nothing on a wing except right at the end which she hauled in to feed the kids.  Fifth meal was another small bird with wings and feet and I think head which went to the chicks of course.  He's got good timing but his production is lacking so far.  Fortunately, chicks are young and can only eat so much at a meal so more small meals will get them through until Princess can help keep them supplied with food and can supply for herself as well (cuz he's failing there in a big way!).  Or maybe this is him just getting started, like to think so, but I suspect it isn't and we are going to need to rely on Princess' wealth of expertise and experience with these chicks. 

And to answer the two questions that are top of mind ...

Are the chicks in danger? No, it looks like they aren't getting fed less than any of our other pairs have/will feed their chicks, we are just used to rockstar males at the Radisson.  Pop, T-Rex, (Simba was invisible but good enough) and Trey were great providers and our little hunting over-achiever Ivy's chicks used to burp and waddle way from food they were so well fed.  And as I understand it (and past years bear it out) the males' performances are tied to cues from their mate and the chicks.  Hopefully Smiley is getting better at reading the cues.

What about Smiley's performance in previous years?  Only have 2014 to go by and it was pretty much the same and I chalked it up to be a first time dad.  And that may still be the case, essentially, he is just a second-time dad and maybe he's just getting the hang of it ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #268 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10 »
Another feeding. Talk about "fast" food. Smiley and Princess are indeed great parents. Soon these chicks will begin to wander or butt scoot around their nest.

Offline newchick

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #267 on: May 24, 2016, 08:54 »
Looks like the egg has been cast aside.  Chicks are looking stronger, and eating heartidly.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #266 on: May 24, 2016, 08:46 »
Camera is back up and Princess walking in with a nice pair of wings and again feeding the chicks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:57 by GCG »

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #265 on: May 24, 2016, 08:32 »
Live cam not available. Screen reads...Item selected currently unavailable. Has CBC taken it down to fix the problem, TPC?

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #264 on: May 24, 2016, 07:20 »
Some birdie has been cleaning the food in house... There are lots of feathers blowing in the wind.

They certainly are "feathering" their nest, moka!

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #263 on: May 24, 2016, 07:17 »
Some birdie has been cleaning the food in house... There are lots of feathers blowing in the wind.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #262 on: May 24, 2016, 06:13 »
Smiley just brought in another meal. Growing chicks need frequent feedings.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #261 on: May 24, 2016, 05:11 »
Meal time. 3 little fluff balls eating. Princess with prey and beside them/it is the remaining egg.

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #260 on: May 23, 2016, 17:25 »
All I have to say is that I have nothing but the utmost respect for these birds. to stay in one position for so long from beginning to end. Animals are awesome

Couldn't agree more.

Offline wpgfan

• Falcon Fan
  • Hatchling
« Reply #259 on: May 23, 2016, 17:21 »
All I have to say is that I have nothing but the utmost respect for these birds. to stay in one position for so long from beginning to end. Animals are awesome

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #258 on: May 23, 2016, 16:03 »
A good view of the remaining egg and a cute little chick. Is it possible this egg is still viable TPC? I think I'm seeing pips.

Back in 2007 there was a 5 day difference between the first and last eggs hatched at the Radisson.  Same for Brandon that year according to my records.  First two eggs at the Radisson hatched on May 19th so today would be day 5 so it is possible but I don't know how probable.  Each day from here on in though, the chances decrease exponentially.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #257 on: May 23, 2016, 15:38 »
These little chicks certainly are growing. I've noticed they have started their "whitewash" murals on the walls.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #256 on: May 23, 2016, 14:32 »
A good view of the remaining egg and a cute little chick. Is it possible this egg is still viable TPC? I think I'm seeing pips.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #255 on: May 23, 2016, 13:44 »
For anyone who has missed a feeding or 18, he's part 2 of their post-dawn breakfast this morning ...

https://youtu.be/PfxszwTYrgw