Author Topic: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess  (Read 109542 times)

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Radisson - 2016 / Smiley & Princess
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2016, 10:04 »
...At first I thought he'd been the brave defender of home and hearth and the feathers were muffed up as a result - I've seen that lots before.  But then I realized that it was due to another source.  Given that likely the only other bird he's been near in the last 12-18 hours is Princess, I daresay she might have been sitting on the box and he was on the sign below and being of excellent manners, Princess relieved herself off the box edge and onto her devoted (not so, remember he's extra-curricular affair last fall) mate waiting patiently below her... Absolutely my giggle of the day.

So far, my giggle of the day too! LOL! Thanks for sharing your karmic insights, TPC.  ;D

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2016, 10:03 »
Lots of activity in the nestbox since the sun came up - Smiley, Princess, Smiley, Princess (long nap) and now Smiley.  No eggs yet but he's determined that they should have a warm bed when they do arrive !!!

He may be a slob at home, but he's the only Radisson male I've watched keeping the scrape warm in advance of his offspring's egg-ventual arrival which helps to endear him even though he is a bit of a slob at home. 

I should mention that Princess has never been much of a housecleaner either - as she gets closer to nesting and during incubation, she picks at pebbles but not big on taking out the garbage and never has.  Maybe not as bad as her daughter Radisson has gotten on a couple of occasions  :o however!! (sorry Bev, Mr Bev and Soaring West, but you know it's true)

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2016, 12:13 »
Just an FYI
Since 2006 when I became involved Princess has occupied the Radisson nest site.
Over this time she has had 3 different partners.
2006-2009...Trey
2010-2013...Ivy
2014-2016...Smiley
Pre 2006 I don't have data for and something TPC would be able to provide.

Princess arrived in 2004 and took up with Trey immediately. 
Before Princess, Madame was our resident female and she went through 4 mates. 
Before Madame was Maud and she had just the one and a very short tenure as the resident female.

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2016, 12:08 »
I think I have mentioned before that Smiley is the most fastidious (or maybe just the slowest) of our resident birds - he spends a lot of time, more than others it seems to me, preening.  Nice to have a bird that concerned about his health and appearance but it is counteracted by the fact that he is a slob in the nestbox - he eats in there and doesn't clean up after himself, he brings not just packages of food but the whole darn bird (and occasionally critter) which means most of it is left behind cuz most of a bird-for-lunch is not edible and when he sits on the edge of the nestbox, HE WILL NOT TURN AROUND TO POOP OFF THE SIDE!!  Like him but he is a slob for a peregrine - or to be fair, we may just have had exceptional birds up until now and he's a perfectly wonderful, average peregrine.  Either way, karmic, or maybe Princess, retribution at sometime after the sunset last night and sunrise this morning - he got pooped on. 

the image is zoomed a bit so you can see the white on his head & shoulder

At first I thought he'd been the brave defender of home and hearth and the feathers were muffed up as a result - I've seen that lots before.  But then I realized that it was due to another source.  Given that likely the only other bird he's been near in the last 12-18 hours is Princess, I daresay she might have been sitting on the box and he was on the sign below and being of excellent manners, Princess relieved herself off the box edge and onto her devoted (not so, remember he's extra-curricular affair last fall) mate waiting patiently below her.

Absolutely my giggle of the day.

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2016, 10:46 »
I can relate Dennis, Princess was on site when I became involved, too. I remember seeing her and Trey for the first time. It was incredible.
Anyway, all I hope for is a successful season for this Grande Dame of Peregrines.

Offline photosbydennis

• Project
  • Old Bird
    • www.pbase.com/photosbydennis
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2016, 14:45 »
Just an FYI
Since 2006 when I became involved Princess has occupied the Radisson nest site.
Over this time she has had 3 different partners.
2006-2009...Trey
2010-2013...Ivy
2014-2016...Smiley
Pre 2006 I don't have data for and something TPC would be able to provide.

Offline moka

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2016, 10:20 »
Welcome home, Princess! How wonderful that you have made it back for yet another season. :-*

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2016, 09:56 »
So cool indeed!  I'm so glad that Princess has returned for more Radisson adventures :-*

Offline bev.

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2016, 00:55 »
glad you have Princess

if you put her, and RAdisson and green girl , side by side , you would be hard pressed to tell who is who. GRandma, mom and daughter. so cool

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2016, 12:33 »
Did a count from the day we first saw the pair at the Radisson and I would expect eggs by the end of the week but since they were back so early, might take a bit longer which would make them right on schedule based on past years' nestings.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2016, 10:58 »
Happy to hear our Princess is home and considering the west nest!

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2016, 09:44 »
No eggs yet.

Very nice scrape in the nestbox and can't see anything on the east-side ledge - the snow can make it easier to see if there is a shallower depression so there are two upsides to snow right now - Princess won't lay her eggs in the snow and the snow makes it easier to tell if they are even contemplating that location.

Offline carly

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2016, 07:57 »
Fantastic news!  :-*

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2016, 23:43 »
Princess' identity is confirmed ...  ;D

Wow! Hip hip hooray for Princess!  ;D 8)

Offline mspeach

• Hatchling
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2016, 20:52 »
It's thrilling The Grand Dame arrived once again.