Author Topic: State Capitol - 2016 / 19K & Alley  (Read 23361 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: State Capitol - 2016 / 19K & Alley
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2016, 16:29 »
Today's update on 19/K from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery:

19/K, the injured state capitol peregrine falcon, is doing well. He is now spending some time in our flight training enclosure at the rehabilitation center. If he is able to show that he can fly after recovering from his injury, he will be released.

Keep your fingers crossed! Thank you for all of your concern and support.

19/K looks beautiful. Photo from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2016, 22:37 »
Dinan has fledged! He took flight from the roof of the nest box this morning at 9:31 a.m.

It was a completely intentional fledge, confident, graceful and elegant. I don't know where he landed, but I know that he has been seen since then.

Fly safely always, Dinan!

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2016, 19:53 »
I agree, Alison. I too, am grateful he is being so well cared for.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2016, 00:18 »
Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery provided a short update on 19/K earlier today:

He is on strict cage rest for another week before he begins building his flight muscles up. He is eating well and showing improvement daily!

I fully realize that his recovery will take some time, but every bit of improvement is encouraging. I am glad that he is being so well cared for.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2016, 00:13 »
The handsome chick has now received his name:

With more than a thousand total votes cast, the winning entry of our name-the-chick contest is “Dinan”. The name honors John J. Dinan, former Nongame Bird Program Manager at the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.  John was instrumental in initiating the Peregrine Falcon projects at the Nebraska Capitol and WoodmenLife Tower.  To illustrate this point, we went to the NEBRASKAland archives and found a few wonderful photos of John working on the Peregrine Falcon projects back in the day.

John Dinan passed away from cancer at age 51 in 2005, the first year a Peregrine Falcon fledged from the Capitol.  Before John died, he selected the name of the first peregrine Falcon chick that fledged, Pioneer.

Cheri Boardman of Weeping Water and Dina Barta of Lincoln both submitted the name Dinan and are the winners of the 2016 name the chick contest.   Each will receive a modest prize package and the fame and prestige that comes with winning our contest.  Congratulations to both of them!

Dinan, who is on the verge of fledging, is the 23rd Peregrine Falcon raised at the Capitol since 2005 by 19/K and Alley.  Looking back on all the successes over the years, which includes offspring from the Capitol raising their own falcon families in Omaha and Topeka, Kansas, and knowing we are in the latter stage of 19/K and Alley’s long reign, it is fitting to come full circle and recognize John Dinan for his contributions.

Thanks to everyone that participated in the naming contest.

I think this is a very suitable name for the young peregrine.

Joel Jorgensen's article also has some fascinating photos of the original nest box being installed in 2003 by John Dinan. That was 19/K's first year at the nest, with his first mate Angel, who was a sister of Princess from the same clutch. Angel was only a year old, and the eggs did not hatch.

http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2016/06/and-the-falcons-name-is/

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2016, 11:46 »
This article lists 19/K and Alley as the parents of Hunter, instead of the grandparents.

Looks like they have updated the story ...   ;D

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2016, 17:32 »
Another article on 19/K's continuing recovery:

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/peregrine-falcon-that-dislocated-an-elbow-two-weeks-ago-is/article_c9f93230-37f1-11e6-b384-efb4c78a738e.html

This article lists 19/K and Alley as the parents of Hunter, instead of the grandparents.

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2016, 17:06 »
Also from The Lincoln Journal Star

Capitol falcon should fly free again

Capitol falcon 19/K probably won't return home in time to see his latest fledgling's first flight.

But the 15-year-old peregrine's dislocated elbow has healed, meaning he can start to stretch his wings and begin the slow progression toward freedom.

"He's doing well. His wing was unwrapped last night and it's a little bit stiff — as can be expected," Betsy Finch, founder of Fontenelle Forest's Raptor Recovery in Elmwood, said Tuesday.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/wing-healed-capitol-s-falcon-father-might-soon-return-to/article_d7db2250-a6eb-56be-adec-20b1a847be82.html

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 17:08 by RCF »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2016, 13:14 »
We now have an update from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery on 19/K, and it is good news:

We have very good news about 19/K, the injured peregrine falcon from the state capitol building in Lincoln. His injured wing has healed and he will be evaluated to see if he can be released.

He went to the veterinarian last night to check on the injury - a dislocated elbow that was set and wrapped for two weeks, and everything is as it should be. We will now work on getting his strength back up so he might return to the wild in the near future.

Thank you to everyone for your concern for 19/K and the support for our Raptor Recovery team. Your support makes everything we do possible, from veterinary care to daily feedings.

Make a donation here:

https://8913.blackbaudhosting.com/8913/Operating-Individual

Put 19/K or Raptor Recovery in the comments!

Photo of 19/K from Fontenelle Forest Raptor Recovery. He looks great!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2016, 13:08 »
So long as there is nothing seriously wrong with H/57 at this time, you watch, in two or three years he will be back and nesting like a pro.  Somehow that is often the case - birds go down and end up being the survivors who return.

Yes, TPC, that is quite often true. I can think of one fledgling some years ago who was rescued eight times, and went on to be a successful adult.

At a different nest, the youngest of five chicks was found at banding to be so tiny that it was felt he would not survive to fledge. There was no webcam, and he was never seen at the nest again.

Two or three years later, he showed up at another nest as the resident male, with a mate of his own.

And these are only two examples.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2016, 21:16 »
The little mischievous one is back in his nest, trying to look innocent. He was up above the nest, and returned on his own. Calling for Mom, food or both in the second pic.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 21:32 by Alison »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2016, 20:53 »
The chick is not in the nest! He was there this afternoon when I checked, and I saw Alley bring him food.

Wherever he went, I hope he is safe.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2016, 12:20 »
So long as there is nothing seriously wrong with H/57 at this time, you watch, in two or three years he will be back and nesting like a pro.  Somehow that is often the case - birds go down and end up being the survivors who return.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2016, 21:31 »
Another update from Fontenelle Forest's Raptor Recovery:

Both of our famous Peregrines are eating and resting comfortably! Both have appointments on Monday. I will have photos at that time. I will publish late Monday evening.

I would like to extend sincere gratitude for the amazing interest and generosity to all!

The second "famous peregrine" in their care is 19/K's grandson, H/57. He is the little male from the Woodmen nest, and he was found on the sidewalk after being missing for at least two  days. This was his second rescue, and he was taken into care at Fontenelle Forest's Raptlor Recovery for the second time.

Hoping for good results for both on Monday.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2016, 10:02 »
A short update on 19/K from Fontenelle Forest's Raptor Recovery:

Thank you so much for everyone's interest in the plight of 19/K, a peregrine falcon from the state capitol building in Lincoln. He is doing well, resting and recovering from his ordeal. His wing will remain wrapped until June 20th. Once the wrap is removed, we'll be able to determine if the injury is healed or if more care is needed.

We are still very hopeful for a complete recovery!