Author Topic: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2015 / Bula & Diamond  (Read 14441 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2015 / Bula & Diamond
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 17:37 »

Here is the link to CSU for gcg and anyone who may not be familiar with this site. There are two live cams which are both on their main page. Please take note of the time difference. Currently they are 15 hours ahead of Winnipeg time.

Enjoy!

http://falconcamproject.org/

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 14:29 »
Thanks for this info. TPC! Does this site have a live cam? Can you post sites that may help viewers/ME!!! throughout the long cold winter? Or any live cams of interest. You know us. Thanks.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 11:34 »
There was one little thing I noticed on the morning of August 31, but didn’t post right away (as my time has been quite limited). I saw a feather stuck to the first egg while Diamond was rolling it, and that made me wonder if a bit of fluid might have drained out and allowed the feather to adhere. Later that morning the feather was gone.

Just to play devil's advocate, not all birds are fastidious in their in-box behaviour - the feather could be stuck as a result of more mundane sticky goo rather than leakage from the egg.  Or it could indeed be because the egg has been damaged.  If it is damaged, the reason may be the symptom - Diamond may be clumsy with the egg because she knows the egg is damaged/non-viable but she hormonally can't leave the egg alone.  Beatrix had two non-viable eggs this year and she incubated them well beyond the hatch of her chicks - and there is no way she didn't know they weren't going to hatch.  And we see that over and over again.  Hurricane is really our most ruthless (in a good way) momma when it comes to non-viable eggs - she often destroys them early on.

This is Diamond's first year as a mother yes?

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 04:38 »
While reading through updates on this CSU site it seemed that Diamond had not been treating her first egg very well, as observed by Cilla. One update dated August 31 is called “clumsy girl”, another dated September 1 is called “Death wish” (sounds scary!). Both updates include screenshots.

There was one little thing I noticed on the morning of August 31, but didn’t post right away (as my time has been quite limited). I saw a feather stuck to the first egg while Diamond was rolling it, and that made me wonder if a bit of fluid might have drained out and allowed the feather to adhere. Later that morning the feather was gone.

Eventually we may know if this egg suffered any damage since the light colour makes it easy to identify; of course, I’d prefer that my thoughts were wrong as whatever dampness allowed the feather to adhere could have come from various sources.  

On the bright side - I was happy to see that Diamond appeared very content with her eggs once the second egg arrived, and that was when she began incubating. Bula also enjoys the opportunity to incubate, and Diamond doesn’t fuss when he wants to stay a little longer. I’m hopeful we’ll be seeing chicks here. :D

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:48 by burdi »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 22:48 »
I hope that Diamond and Bula will have a successful year. I do, however, wish that the people involved in this project had not managed to drive away Swift and Beau.

I'm happy to hear that Diamond & Bula have 3 eggs & like you, Alison, I wish them a successful nesting season. But I too, have to admit that I miss Swift & Beau. I don't really think that the individuals involved with this project were responsible for driving Swift & Beau away, though. I know that Cilla & Scott really miss Swift & Beau. I think it was the university's decision to cut down their roosting trees, etc., not Cilla & Scott. As well, those initially involved with the project, Dennis & Scott, have left the university, unfortunately. I really think Cilla is doing the best she can to keep this project afloat, under the circumstances.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 16:20 »
Three eggs for Diamond and Bula:

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 23:03 »
Wow! 2nd egg at 2:22 on the 2nd! Hopefully, that will only mean good things are in store for these 2! 8)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 23:43 »
Bula and Diamond now have a second egg which arrived about 2:22 pm (Australia time) on September 2! :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 02:15 »
Both were in the nest briefly; I thought Bula might be taking over from Diamond, but he took off immediately after she left. He flew across the road, past the group of trees and beyond.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 23:59 »
I hope that Diamond and Bula will have a successful year. I do, however, wish that the people involved in this project had not managed to drive away Swift and Beau.

After laying her first egg, Diamond slept soundly through the night.

I was surprised to see a vehicle right below the nest. Of course, since the roost trees Beau and Swift always used were cut down, along with some of the other vegetation, and the undergrowth burned, the whole area is pretty much open now. Not necessarily a good thing for the birds, especially in the breeding season.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 17:00 »
Congratulations to Bula and Diamond!

Diamond had been showing signs that she was about to lay an egg, and she did. Their first egg arrived around 1:30 am on August 31 (Australia time). I wish them well. :)

This site is currently 15 hours ahead of Winnipeg time. It’s been very foggy the last couple of mornings - making it difficult to see the trees when looking out from the ledge cam, though it is clearing nicely now.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 22:06 by burdi »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 23:50 »
It seems that the new male's name is now "Bula," which means "two" in Wiradjuri, the local Aboriginal language, since Bula is the second male at this nest site, replacing Beau. 

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
NSW - Charles Sturt University - 2015 / Bula & Diamond
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 23:37 »
It seems there has been a complete "changing of the guard" at this nest site.

Apparently, in late March, it was decided that three large deadish pine trees, which Beau & Swift had been using for at least seven years as their favoured roost site, needed to be cut down, presumably due to their horizontal branches and lack of leaves.

On April 2nd, two days after the pine trees were felled, Beau was seen for the last time.  Four days later another male appeared, which the Recovery Project is calling "Streak," as he has a clear black streak on the left side of his neck.

Swift had been observed accepting the new male & sleeping in the nest box until April 9th or 10th, when a new female appeared. Since then, Swift has not been observed in the nest box, although she has been seen in the area. The Project is calling the new female "Diamond," as she has a diamond shaped pattern of spots on the left side of her chest.

Very sad to hear that Beau & Swift have been usurped.  :'(