Author Topic: MA / Amherst - 2015-19  (Read 7533 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
MA / Amherst - 2019 / ? & ?
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2019, 23:04 »
2019 NESTING SEASON

The webcam is not yet active at this site, but it is hoped that it will be live by May 10.

Back in 2015, the resident female at this site was from Sorel, Quebec, banded black/black S/71. She was a very beautiful falcon, very lightly marked, with her front being mainly white/cream.

She disappeared, and the following year there was a new female.

But now, four years later, S/71 has shown up, alive and well.

She was recently photographed on Mount Tom, Massachusetts, and identified by Dr. Tom French. It is so good to see her again.

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Massachusetts / Amherst - 2015 / ? & ?
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2015, 10:43 »
I'm beginning to wonder if this site has numerous cameras. For sure they can change the view often. I check this site and get to see the fledglings. Now I can see them almost side by side, one is preening.  :D

http://www.library.umass.edu/falcons

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2015, 05:58 »
I found the photo on FB and after clicking on a link, I saw more from yesterday. And after scanning down, I found links to more photos and videos to share.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153487431951323.1073741899.12436156322&type=3

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2015, 05:42 »
Thanks for these photos, Alison. This site does amazing captures, both photos and videos. As does some the other US sites. They continue to follow and capture the beauty of these amazing birds as they flourish into adulthood. Alison, please continue to share with us/me. I look forward to them.  :)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2015, 17:29 »
Do we know who the photographer was GCG?  If you find it, I will added it to your post  :D

And it looks real to me ... often chicks will hang out together just like that ... and this photo reminds me of a really cute photo of Tupper peering around the edge of a building at me ...
I don't know where gemcitygemini got that photo from, TPC, but I would say that originally it came from the webcam earlier today.

The people at the site have a real interest in the birds, and when the fledglings are not in the nest, they will pan around the top of the library to try to find them.

I was watching the fledglings this morning too. Here are a few of my pics. The fledglings are on the wall which runs around the top of the library, which I believe is the highest building in Amherst.

Backed off a bit in the left pic; the edge of the nest box is visible on the right. In the pic on the right, part of the wall is visible, and the hills beyond.

Big Sister's first flight a few days ago was to the roof of the campus hotel. I have seen her fly, but have not yet seen Little Brother fly, although he was the first to "ledge", three or four days before his sister. He went for a walk along the top of the wall, and was gone for a while. When he came back, his sister yelled at him, and then reached over and gave him a kiss. These two are very close. For the last few nights, they have returned to the nest box to sleep in the closed-in part of the nest.

Big Sister is banded black/green 01/BE. Little Brother is banded black/green 76/BS. They have not been named, as far as I know.

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2015, 15:54 »
Had to share this photo of the fledglings.

Do we know who the photographer was GCG?  If you find it, I will added it to your post  :D

And it looks real to me ... often chicks will hang out together just like that ... and this photo reminds me of a really cute photo of Tupper peering around the edge of a building at me ...

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2015, 13:26 »

Had to share this photo of the fledglings. Amazing capture. Is this for real, Dennis?

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 17:05 »
Here's a video of a feed from this morning.

https://youtu.be/I3alscs_EbM

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 15:25 »
They certainly are growing. So hard for mom to cover them. They move, she moves.  :D

Offline GCG

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2015, 12:25 »
The chicks are being fed. Both look good. If I had to venture a guess, I would say 1 male and 1 very large female. Females seem larger this year. Must be because of all the rain.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2015, 12:43 »
Burdi, it would now seem that both chicks have been treated, which is good. Treating only one chick did not make sense.

From the site today:

With UMass Director of Animal Care & Attending Veterinarian Dr. Paul Spurlock we are using a systemic pesticide on the falcon chicks.

The pesticide is absorbed through the skin and is already effectively preventing further infestation of the chicks by the ectoparasites.

While treating the two chicks, we also collected and preserved in alcohol several examples of the parasites for identification.

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 18:11 »
I presume both chicks from this nest have now been treated.

The older chick was removed at 5:05 pm, and the younger chick was removed at 5:22 pm (upon return of the older one). The siblings were together again at 5:25 pm.

Mom fiercely tried to attack the intruder, and was panting heavily. I felt sorry for her of course, though thankful the chicks were receiving some much needed attention.

Offline Jazzerkins

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 11:13 »
I so love watching the chicks being fed.   :D

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2015, 10:21 »
Here's a video of the feed by skygirlblue.  They both look so much better!!  :)  I imagine whatever they treated the smaller one with (medicated dust I guess) will transfer onto the other chick, which is also good.

https://youtu.be/2MmKW7FKHY0

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2015, 09:45 »
The chicks were fed a few minutes ago: