Author Topic: Tower Nest - 2015 / ? & ?  (Read 7288 times)

Offline burdi

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
Re: Tower Nest - 2015 / ? & ?
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 23:29 »
...We checked again today and didn't see a falcon. However, we did see a couple of hawks, some cormorants, two pelicans, lots of ducks, many, many gulls, three swans and two Meadowlarks. Even though we didn't see a falcon, there is lots of food out there for the taking.

LOL! I waiting to read that you even spotted a partridge in a pear tree, RCF! ;)

Wow! - that list just goes on and on. ;D

Must be nice to see such a variety of birds in the area.

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 17:57 »
...We checked again today and didn't see a falcon. However, we did see a couple of hawks, some cormorants, two pelicans, lots of ducks, many, many gulls, three swans and two Meadowlarks. Even though we didn't see a falcon, there is lots of food out there for the taking.

LOL! I waiting to read that you even spotted a partridge in a pear tree, RCF! ;)

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 15:02 »
When we were there yesterday one fellow came out of one of the buildings, opened the gate and motioned for us to go inside, so we did!  He was asking us about the peregrines and if they were still around.  I am pretty sure they know when we go check out the place....I guess it's like stalking or casing the joint.  ;D

Apparently their cameras can't see way up on the top catwalks, that's where we mostly see the birds.  I can't remember seeing the male on the lower ones, just the female and we haven't seen her for a very long time.

We checked again today and didn't see a falcon. However, we did see a couple of hawks, some cormorants, two pelicans, lots of ducks, many, many gulls, three swans and two Meadowlarks. Even though we didn't see a falcon, there is lots of food out there for the taking.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 19:20 by RCF »

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2015, 11:16 »
Thanks for checking the Tower site RCF!  Will see if anyone onsite has managed to get a look at the bird with a camera - they often keep cameras nearby just in case.  This year our on-site spotter has been hors-de-combat but I think he's back now so I'll touch base with him so he and his colleagues can keep an eye out in case they get a change to see a little leg (just in case) ...

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 18:07 »
Boy, was I surprised today! Rose and I went on a little tour today so we decided to check out here.  There is still a falcon here! We are pretty sure it the same one that's been here all season, looks the same after checking some of my photos. When he arrived, we could see he was wiping his beak on the railing and he had a full crop...lunch time.  We were happy to see him! We haven't seen the female for at least five weeks.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:37 by RCF »

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 21:42 »
Great shots RCF ;D

Nice to hear there is a pair hanging around here. Maybe they will come back next year and get serious about nesting.

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 16:39 »
I was out here for about an hour today and was very lucky to catch the female in the cubby hole on the north side of the building. This is about as close as I can get, so I was happy she was there. She had prey up there and was eating, then preened for a while. She was very accommodating about showing me her legs while she was there. Eventually the male showed up and I heard her talking to him. He buzzed in front of her a few times and then she flew after him. I watched them soar the thermals until I couldn't see them anymore.

Anyway this female has no bands, so I guess we will never know where she comes from. :)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:39 by RCF »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 23:11 »
Yes, it will be interesting to see if one or both of these PF's can be identified. Might be some of "ours," come back to nest. :-\

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 10:58 »
Just so folks understand, juvenile brown feathers don't mean too young to breed - our larger birds - Alice, Joli and Jules all were quite brown when they started nesting - some birds retain more brown longer, some birds don't - mostly females though (bigger than males) and it seems (anecdotally) that the larger females take longer if ever ... Jules had brown on her the whole time she was here.  Madame on the other hand never did have brown and she arrived here at one - don't think Princess did either and she was 2 years old when she arrived - Jules was older when she started nesting.

I know RCF is pretty sure she has seen bands on at least one of the birds (sorry RCF, can't remember if you said both  :-\) - going to be fun to find out who they might be though  ;D  Love a puzzle no matter where or when it arrives

Offline dupre501

• Phanatic
  • Fledgling
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 18:52 »
Nice!  :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 16:27 »
We saw two peregrines out here on Monday. From what I can tell, the female looks to have some of her juvenile brown feathers still.

Female

Male

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:36 by RCF »

Offline allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 19:50 »
Just who the heck is this pretty bird?

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 19:09 »
Still seeing a falcon out here, saw one on Saturday but not today. We probably didn't see one today because it most likely stayed home all day yesterday. Yesterday was not a good day for flying but today certainly was.  ;D

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:35 by RCF »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 22:40 »
Looks like this birdie is banded.

Hmmm... wonder who it could be? ???

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 19:54 »
Looks like this birdie is banded.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:35 by RCF »

Offline Kinderchick

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 22:56 »
That's GREAT news, RCF! :D

Offline RCF

• Old Bird
Tower Nest - 2015 / ? & ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 20:39 »
I saw a falcon out here this afternoon.  8)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:34 by RCF »