Author Topic: Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie  (Read 16491 times)

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2015, 11:56 »
Did One Ring bring the food I wonder?
I think it is highly unlikely that One Ring had anything to do with bringing the food. No-one saw him bring any food to the nest.

Not only that, he stole food from Miep-VV twice yesterday, once earlier in the day and once in the evening.  >:(

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 14:38 »
Not sure as Miep/VV left for a bit, then came back.
So, it's unknown as to if she had to hunt it herself, or took it from 1R?
From what I have translated, 1R isn't doing much to contribute, which will only make it that much harder and stressful for Miep/VV to care for all the chicks as they grow - and we all know how quickly they grow and how much they need to eat.
Time will tell (and so will the cameras)... :-\

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 14:07 »
Did One Ring bring the food I wonder?

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 11:14 »
I was so happy to see Miep-VV with food in the nest when I checked the site a little while ago, and to see the new chick!

One Ring watched part of the feeding from the platform.

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 10:35 »
There is a feeding going on right now. 

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2015, 10:31 »
There are now two chicks - and it doesn't look like either one has been fed.
I hope things turn around and these little ones get fed along with Miep/VV.
Nature can be so beautiful, and yet so cruel at the same time. 

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 06:29 »
Miep-VV is finally back, but she has no food.  :(

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 06:27 »
The tiny chick:

One Ring with the chick:

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 05:43 »
The cams have now been turned back on, but I don't know whether the situation has been resolved.

There is one beautiful little chick, and another egg has a good-sized  pip. However, One Ring has not brought food. Miep-VV left the nest, presumably to go hunting, and has not yet returned. One Ring went into the nest, studied the chick, and almost stepped on the little one.  >:(

I hope Mom will be back very soon. The tiny chick cannot be left for long.

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 03:55 »
The cam view did not just get stuck. This was posted by VWG Gemert:

04.23.2015 | 10:09 | VWG Gemert

Due to abuse of our images, we have turned off the refresh. Sorry for the inconvenience.

No idea what this is about. At such a crucial time, too . . .

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 03:37 »
I am so very confused now - I've gone through some of the video clips and after the 8th of April, when it was assumed that Pa was no longer the resident male, he was back on April 12th, (maybe 13th ....?), with Miep/VieVie and in the Nestbox.
I've been going over the videos and translating them - and I have no idea who is the resident male here especially after that battle the other day.
And from what I have also translated (love Google), Pa was not part of those battles.

From April 8 on, the first intruder male was at the nest. He has some speckled markings on his bib, so he became known as Spikkel (not a name, just to differentiate him from the second intruder male). Then there was an intruder female, who was banded at Essen three years ago. She came to the nest box entrance and looked in, but seemed to move on quickly.

And then there was the second intruder male, who did not show up at the nest at that time, but who battled with Spikkel in the skies above the tower for hours on end, on several different days. He has a silver band on his left leg.

He appears to have displaced Spikkel and to be at the nest now. He is known as One Ring (or 1 Ring), I assume because of the one silver band.

The bad part is that he does not bring food for Miep-VV or support her in any way. Yesterday he stole food from her, which she had in the nest.

In the meantime Miep-VV has also had to deal with another intruder female. She has not been able to incubate full time, but has steadfastly continued to do her best to keep incubating.

I have not seen Pa, but as far as i know he is still out there. I hope he is okay.

The first chick has now apparently hatched; I have not yet seen the chick, and the cam which shows the inside view of the nest is now stuck.

I don't know how Miep-VV can possibly care for a newly hatched chick in addition to having to hunt and provide food. And there is no way of knowing what One Ring's attitude will be to a chick which is not his. In many cases a new male will not accept another male's chick.

I have also been watching the Zielitz nest, where chicks had hatched. It seems as if there has been a change of male there, and the chicks were not fed. Only one chick is now left alive; heartbreaking to watch.

I can only hope things will go better at de Mortel.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:40 by Alison »

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 20:35 »
I think there's been a hatch.  There was a pip in an egg last night and I just saw an eggshell when Miep-VieVie was shuffling around on the eggs. 

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2015, 16:34 »
Fascinating nest-site this!

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2015, 12:47 »
I guess the new male is 1R.
All the viewers seem to think that Pa is still around, as some claim they hear him, AND... he may have dropped food off for Miep-VV today?!?!?
There is a video and no one knows who it was - but there are speculations that it was Pa.
Oh the drama... ::)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 15:59 by allikat »

Offline irenekl

• Phanatic
  • Chick
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2015, 10:07 »
Glad to know I am not the only one who is confused. ???  I'm really interested to know where Pa is.