Author Topic: Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie  (Read 16483 times)

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
Re: Netherlands / De Mortel - 2015 / Pa & Miep-VieVie
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2015, 19:14 »
It was interesting to watch him on the video.
It appeared as if he was paying close attention to what Miep/VV was doing, ie: feeding the chicks.
I could be wrong on that impression as it could be as simple as 1R just wanted to eat.  ::)

Offline The Peregrine Chick

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
    • Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project (Manitoba)
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2015, 15:50 »
He might be a first year bird ... some beg for food from their "mates" as though they are chicks.  Madame here at the Radisson did that her first year in Winnipeg with T-Rex.  T-Rex was the same age and he was hunting up food for chicks we were hacking and pushing it through the bars on the hack box and then he would have to feed Madame as well.  The following year she was at the Radisson with Pop and had grown out of that particular behaviour.  A couple of years ago I saw the same kind of behaviour from a female (?) at the Brandon Tower site (RCF might be able to confirm if this was an isolated incident or typical for that bird that year). 

If 1R isn't contributing, so long as she can keep the kids fed, not to bursting, just enough to keep developing for the next week, the chicks' chances for survival will go up exponentially.  If he steals the remains of meals, that's likely okay, there likely isn't much left - remember most of a bird is wings and feathers.  Fortunately, at this age, her chicks can't eat much at a sitting so a good kill a day for them could keep them going and a kill for her will do the same.  When the chicks can thermoregulate, she can be hunting nearby more and theoretically can stockpile more food to keep up with their growing appetites.  For those who can remember food deliveries close to fledge age, it was just one pigeon per chick - that's about the equivalent of 1/2 a chicken breast.

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2015, 14:50 »
Just watched a video posted on the site...
Now, did 1R bring that prey in, or was he in fact waiting to take it away so he could eat it or clean up?
Aside from watching this site 24-7, I don't know what the real deal is...?

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2015, 13:50 »
I was watching as well Alison.
It looked to me like 1R was waiting for Miep/VV to hunt and prep the food for her chicks while he waited patiently to take it.
I don't know if this was his attempt at cleaning up, or basically just waiting to eat it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 14:47 by allikat »

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2015, 13:08 »
Miep-VV just came back with food, and she has just finished feeding the chicks. As it was yesterday, the food she brought was not plucked or prepared for feeding.

She fed the chicks, while One Ring watched from the platform. When she had finished feeding the chicks, she settled down to brood them, keeping the remaining food right beside her. Within seconds, One Ring zipped into the nest, stole the food and was gone. I saw him do it.  >:(

If he is not going to help (and I am sure that he has not yet brought food), the least he can do is go and get his own food.

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2015, 12:06 »
59 degrees in Gemert right now.  Not warm enough for wee chicks to be alone so long I'm thinking. :(

Offline susha

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2015, 12:01 »
I've been watching for a while as well, Ali, and haven't seen a feeding.  Chicks were alone for a long time, so I'm guessing Miep-VV was out hunting and is hopefully well fed.  Now what about those babies?!? 

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2015, 11:42 »
Just finished watching about 40 + mins of lonely chicks in the nestbox.
Miep/VV came back with zero food.
Now I don't know when another feeding took place, but, she came in the nestbox, looked around, hopped onto the front grid, not sure if she calling out or not, (sometimes I watch a different site that has 3 cam views which has no sound) flew off, then we could see two Falcons flying around. No food exchange.
I don't know what the temps are like there but, with a fresh hatch today, isn't 40+ minutes just a tad long?

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2015, 09:48 »
Unfortunately, even with google translating the page, words don't get translated properly, or at all, and the conversation gets lost in the shuffle.
From what others have been witnessing and posting, 1R is eating a lot, and literally stealing food out of the nextbox (they call it "the closet" or "cabinet").  
Perhaps it is to lure Miep/VV out of the box to get food, like TPC wrote about other falcon behavior?  
She is coming back with food that appears to be "prepped".....
Maybe 1R is contributing more than what the spotters are seeing and they also don't realize it?  

It sounds like 1R is cacheing food for Miep-VieVie.  As for taking food out of the nestbox - that too we've seen - Princess in the last couple of years has often eaten food brought in - mostly by Ivy because he was a food-delivery machine.  For those who watch this site more than I do, is 1R taking the food as she's feeding it to the chicks, or is he bringing it in and eating there, or something else?  Parents will often clean up afterwards my eating what's left ...

Offline RCF

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2015, 07:53 »
Four hatches here now

https://youtu.be/HePMSOI3V3Q

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2015, 14:48 »
Unfortunately, even with google translating the page, words don't get translated properly, or at all, and the conversation gets lost in the shuffle.
From what others have been witnessing and posting, 1R is eating a lot, and literally stealing food out of the nextbox (they call it "the closet" or "cabinet").  
Perhaps it is to lure Miep/VV out of the box to get food, like TPC wrote about other falcon behavior?  
She is coming back with food that appears to be "prepped".....
Maybe 1R is contributing more than what the spotters are seeing and they also don't realize it?  

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 17:12 by allikat »

• Administrator
  • Old Bird
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2015, 13:21 »
Not all males bring food to the nest, in fact it isn't unusual for males to leave food nearby for their mate.  We've been used to a number of our males bringing food right to the box - then Ivy realized he wasn't going to get any time with the kids so he would make Princess leave.  Smiley is even more proactive - he was using food to entice Princess into the nestbox to check out his scrape this year.  I never saw Beau bring food into the horrible nest site in West Winnipeg - Jules always left to get it from him, often right in mid-air beside the building.  Hart leaves food nearby for Jules too.  And Simba was probably our most invisible male - only saw him when he and Madame were copulating.  He was very good at keeping the larder stocked but wasn't into being very hands-on with the kids.

According to the rersearch, the chances of a female managing to keep chicks this young fed and warm is statistically impossible.  I've seen the nestsite location and it takes time to hunt, catch (remember falcons like all predators miss more than they catch) and prep a meal for transport and feeding.  All of which is time taken away from the chicks who at this stage are defenseless and unable to thermoregulate.  Average hunting success rate is about 23% (23 out of 100 hunts are successful) - for resident pairs on their breeding territories in the breeding season (i.e., when they are motivated to hunt successfully) it is a bit better than that (39%).  But that still means that they miss half the time under ideal conditions - a female on her own trying to provide food for herself and her chicks as well as all her other duties and personal needs is fighting a battle she likely can't win.  If the chicks were older, she would need to hunt for bigger appetites but they wouldn't need her at the nest so much.

Upshot is, as ineffectual and useless as whichever male is around at the moment, he may not actually be totally uninvolved in the raising of the chicks, just uninterested in the chicks themselves.  Remember these birds are hardwired to raise young and if the male around is not the "father" he may be hormonally playing a bit of catch up.  Or he could be inexperienced - Hart last year looked like a disaster, but he wasn't.  Only time will tell how she, he and their chicks will make out.

Interestingly a raptor scientist in the US was just asking if anyone has any reports of lone parents being able to successfully raise chicks - so far I don't think he has received any affirmative reports.

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2015, 12:35 »
Another feeding - I think this time, 1R left some food somewhere and she got the rest of it.

Online allikat

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2015, 12:17 »
She truly is Alison! 
I fear she is on her own to provide food and shelter for her chicks, as 1R just fly's around and eats - EVERYTHING!
It's going to be rough on Miep/VV - all three chicks ate this morning, thanks to Mum!

Offline Alison

• Phanatic
  • Old Bird
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2015, 12:08 »
A third chick hatched this morning. Haven't had a good view of the chick so far.

Miep-VV also came home with food for the chicks this morning; a whole prey. She really is a remarkable falcon.